kettlebells - tell me more please

Options
2»

Replies

• kellym0710
    kellym0710 Posts: 31
    Options
    There is a Jillian Micheals set that has a 5lb, 10lb and 15lb with it it cost around $30.00. That has worked great for me as I can change the weight depending on the exercise.
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    myohmytv.com has a lot of kettlebells workouts-check it out!

Thanks for the website!
  • MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    it's nothing really inherent in the kettlebell itself since all the same moves that are done with a kettlebell can also be done with a dumbbell or a weight plate

The way a kettlebell disperses the weight is very different than what a normal dumbell does. If you try the same excersise with the two things, you can really feel the difference. A kettlebell is also better for a full body workout, it's very versatile.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    So, I never bought this book or DVD, but somehow through this site I ended up finding this guy's free enewsletter (he sends out workout ideas, videos, etc.) and his YouTube channel, and he has a LOT of great KB workouts.

http://www.ttkettlebellrevolution.com/

Of course, his site looks redesigned and now I can't find the link to the free stuff, but maybe you can.

KBs are awesome and if you check out some of the manufacturer's sites (Power Systems has a good PDF, I think) you can find some good workouts.

The nice thing about KB workouts is you can get a full body, hardcore strength and cardio workout in as little as 15-20 mins.

Good luck!
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Well I'm defo sold on the kettlebells. Now I'm just going to have to get me some. Thanks all for the infos. :happy:

Be sure you get one that's heavy enough but not too heavy... you might need a fairly heavy one and also a moderately light one (for things like one-arm windmills, where a smaller one is all you need).
    When you go to buy one, be sure you know proper form for a basic KB swing and therefore you can find the right weight. The KB you use for your KB swing will probably be your "heavy" KB, and also look up how to do a single-arm press or a single-arm windmill and find one that will be your "light" KB. That's really all you need to get started!

Check out the jpg below, if you can blow it up and print it, it works as a great reference to get you started!

http://www.power-systems.com/images/Product/medium/93110.jpg
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    I love using kettlebells! They are my favorite workout! Another good DVD is Steve Maxwell's "300 Kettlebell Challenge." It is a heck of a workout.
  • josiecowboy69
    Options
    I've done Jillian Michael's kettlebell workout. I highly recommend that dvd. I'd say that a mix between cardio and weight training is a good description. I would do a search for kettlebell workouts in youtube to check out some moves. If you decide to buy a kettlebell, I would go a bit heavier than you think you can handle. Most of the moves are swinging the kettlebell, so it doesn't feel very heavy.

What weight would you recommend for a beginner? I know as I do the exercises, I will get stronger. But I do have pretty week ARM strength
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I've done Jillian Michael's kettlebell workout. I highly recommend that dvd. I'd say that a mix between cardio and weight training is a good description. I would do a search for kettlebell workouts in youtube to check out some moves. If you decide to buy a kettlebell, I would go a bit heavier than you think you can handle. Most of the moves are swinging the kettlebell, so it doesn't feel very heavy.

What weight would you recommend for a beginner? I know as I do the exercises, I will get stronger. But I do have pretty week ARM strength

get a 10 at least or even a 15. you'll progress quicker than you think
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice on this. Still feel a bit unsure of what weight(s) to get. Really would have liked to have gone to a class first to try it out, but there's nowhere anyway near me that does it, so that's out :(. Hmmm just had a brainwave... a long shot I know but maybe if I ever got good at it I could give classes :tongue:

Anyway as I'm not particularly strong, think I'm going to start conservatively with one 12 KG weight and see how I get on. Does that sound reasonable enough?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    12 kg. will be a good start!
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    12 kg. will be a good start!

Thanks, finally ordered one. Ordered it from a Portuguese (I live in Portugal) site this time, so in theory I shouldn't have to wait too long for it...hopefully!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Let us know how do you like the kettlebells-I love them! I use them almost daily in my workouts.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice on this. Still feel a bit unsure of what weight(s) to get. Really would have liked to have gone to a class first to try it out, but there's nowhere anyway near me that does it, so that's out :(. Hmmm just had a brainwave... a long shot I know but maybe if I ever got good at it I could give classes :tongue:

Anyway as I'm not particularly strong, think I'm going to start conservatively with one 12 KG weight and see how I get on. Does that sound reasonable enough?
    for a man i wouldn't say anything under 16KG.
    go to www.dragondoor.com
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    its a lot of fun
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, and the are great for "weighted cardio" as I call it. :) But form is CRITICAL! One wrong move and you will feel it in your back the next day guaranteed!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Whether you use Kettlebells (KB's) or Dumbell's (DB's) it really don't matter all that much. KB's are balanced differently and offer a slightly different stimulus than DB's. Neither is superior to the other, just different tools for different purposes. You could most likely find a ncie set of DB's and do the same video.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Try calling around to certain gyms to see if any of the trainers are properly-trained in them and get a lesson. I took a class and a bootcamp from certified instructors and it was great to hear their feedback about my form. Proper form is key, like another poster said. I would go with an 18 or 20 pounder to start. I don't know how much weight you're used to lifting now, but KBs will definitely get your HR up so I wouldn't go too heavy at first.

I guess if you can't find anyone to train you or a class, just remember that you should feel most of the strain in your legs and glutes because that is where the power for the motion should originate, if you feel more strain in your back then you probably need to modify your form because you can be doing damage.