good write up!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    This is great, thanks for sharing.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips :D Will do a proper read though later :)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for this. As a novice runner, I'll take all the tips I can get!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Great post - I made the mistake last year on a warmer than usual day in April of running a route I was unfamiliar with and even though I had followed most of your points - fuel belt with lots of water - because I didn't know the route, I underestimated the distance and ended up far from my car with no water left and starting to crash. It was a miserable and scary time and I vowed never to make that mistake again.
    I think people underestimate how quickly your body dehydrates when you're exercising. I'm going to be training throughout the summer in Tennessee for a marathon in September so I will make sure that I have plenty of water.
    I also have started using Smartwater - it has stuff added to it, but it's not sweet like Gatorade type liquids so I feel more refreshed after drinking it.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great Info! Surprisingly, here in Missouri I had to use some of these...yesterday. Yeah, it was 80 here. In March. Um....
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    nice tips
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some great tips. My husband and I have just started jogging and we'll be needing these tips to survive runs in the Texas summertime >.>
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Great thread, hmm. and I now feel like a wimp, I was thinking 86F was too hot too run, LOL :happy:
  • willismack2
    Options
    Great thread, hmm. and I now feel like a wimp, I was thinking 86F was too hot too run, LOL :happy:

I read some research that 45-50F is about ideal. After that performance drops quickly as heat goes up. My normally very slow pace is well suited for warm weather slogging. :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I read some research that 45-50F is about ideal. After that performance drops quickly as heat goes up. My normally very slow pace is well suited for warm weather slogging. :)

That is the perfect racing temperature range. For an easy run, I'd rather have it about 55°F, but I'm not picky. :D
  • julieanddavid
    Options
    bump
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    I like your bottom line, common sense approach. Good info-thanks!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Great post!! Thanks for sharing!
  • jporche77
    jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Had a close call on Saturday, but thankfully I had sense enough to stop when I started to feel bad. I've restricted myself to morning runs for the rest of the summer. Thanks for the tips.