In place of a road map!

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    just wondering how people are going with this method?

Go look up the groups Eat more to weigh less, and Women eating 2000 calories - both groups doing a form of this.

See the active results topics.

Many have come to realize you can lose 1-1.5 lbs weekly with a slower metabolism after initial bigger deficits come down, or lose the same amount with metabolism running high.

In the long run, especially since the slow metabolism group is more prone to issues with eating too much, discouraged, stalling out, ect, you'll actually lose more.

And if working out, why have the time there not bear the best response from the body by underfeeding it for what you are asking it to do?
  • heybales
    Options
    Help!!

Age- 23
    Height- 64 inches
    Weight- 269
    Goal- 175 (will change it when I get there)
    BF- 60% (holy cow)

Katch-McArdle- 1430

Activity- Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)- 2494 (i zumba 5x a week with 2 rest days)

So I should be eating 2494 when I exercise and 1430 when I don't?
    Say I burn 1000 cals doing zumba, I do not eat those back because they are already in the 2494?
    Say I burn 200-300 cals, do I still eat 2494 or do I just add it to the 1430?

I am so confused.

if you got the 2494 from Fat2fit, you eat the same calories every single day.

Yeah I got it from there. Thank you! I just changed my goals!

Just one comment, the days per week of exercise, is based on 1hr on each of those days. I know some of the DVD workouts are 30-40 minutes, gym classes 45-60 min.

So just add up the time and see where it comes out, you could be over or under, and may be worth a little rounding one direction or another.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for over a month. My weight loss has slowed quite a bit from what it was initially - I'm still heading down though. My weight loss has a pattern. I drop to a new low, weight goes back up and bounces around all week, then drops to a new low at the end of the week. Now it seems I'm not dropping until every other week or so. Yesterday I had a "bad" day and went over calories by 200 or so. Bam - dropped to a new low this morning. I remember seeing info. in this thread somewhere (???) about having spike days of higher calories I think?? Does anyone know anything about this? Should I be incorporating one or two days of higher calories in order to keep metabolism revved? And if so, how high should I go? My daily intake is right around 2300, obviously more if I have a higher burn day. My BMR is somewhere between 1500-1700ish depending on the calculator used. I try to stay over 1800 net every day just to be on the safe side.

Editing to add: I'm not expecting super quick weight loss. I was averaging 1 - 1.5 pounds a week. But I'm now losing .5 or less per week. So I feel like there's something that needs to be tweaked here.
  • heybales
    Options
    I've been doing this for over a month. My weight loss has slowed quite a bit from what it was initially - I'm still heading down though. My weight loss has a pattern. I drop to a new low, weight goes back up and bounces around all week, then drops to a new low at the end of the week. Now it seems I'm not dropping until every other week or so. Yesterday I had a "bad" day and went over calories by 200 or so. Bam - dropped to a new low this morning. I remember seeing info. in this thread somewhere (???) about having spike days of higher calories I think?? Does anyone know anything about this? Should I be incorporating one or two days of higher calories in order to keep metabolism revved? And if so, how high should I go? My daily intake is right around 2300, obviously more if I have a higher burn day. My BMR is somewhere between 1500-1700ish depending on the calculator used. I try to stay over 1800 net every day just to be on the safe side.

Editing to add: I'm not expecting super quick weight loss. I was averaging 1 - 1.5 pounds a week. But I'm now losing .5 or less per week. So I feel like there's something that needs to be tweaked here.

You are recalc'ing the goal after about 5lbs loss, right?

And you automatically have spike days when you eat the exact same amount every day, but on rest days you are netting more.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

You are recalc'ing the goal after about 5lbs loss, right?

And you automatically have spike days when you eat the exact same amount every day, but on rest days you are netting more.

I did do a recalc and dropped my goal by 36 calories several weeks ago. And duh - you are right, this method has built in spike days...lol!

After posting this I did another drop and I might be resuming my regular rate of weight loss - not sure why there was a slow period. I did lose inches during that, so muscle and fat shifting around maybe??
  • heybales
    Options
    I did do a recalc and dropped my goal by 36 calories several weeks ago. And duh - you are right, this method has built in spike days...lol!

After posting this I did another drop and I might be resuming my regular rate of weight loss - not sure why there was a slow period. I did lose inches during that, so muscle and fat shifting around maybe??

Ya, 5lbs not really a huge enough change in cal's, is it.

If you are exercising, you can be doing an easy workout, basically just increasing daily burn, but not asking body to make much improvement.

Or, you could be pushing yourself and the body with a load must improve, if it has food and rest to do so anyway.

So you may have had a few weeks of increased load or better rest, more body improvements were done, and though fat melted away, body stored more glucose/water for future energy use, because your body sees you want to use it.

500 cal of stored carbs as glucose/water is 1 lb. So that is where some gains occur, or times of less weight loss.
  • closet_fatty
    closet_fatty Posts: 109
    Options
    bump
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Saving so I can go back and re-read again.
  • Dartmouth501
    Dartmouth501 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tammies00
    tammies00 Posts: 16
    Options
    saving to re-read!
  • ben_running
    ben_running Posts: 48
    Options
    Bump
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have a question. if your bmr is what you burn doing nothing, why are you not supposed to eat less than that? Wouldn't you want to net less than that so you lose weight?
    I was eating 1400 and losing, but always hungry. Upped to 1800, nothing happened. Upped again to 2000 to account for breastfeeding calories and still, nothing. Now I'm eating1750,which is my tdee minus 15%. Its been a month since raising my xalories and I havent lost anything at all. I considered going back to eating 1400 but im just so hungry when I eat that little.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have a question. if your bmr is what you burn doing nothing, why are you not supposed to eat less than that? Wouldn't you want to net less than that so you lose weight?
    I was eating 1400 and losing, but always hungry. Upped to 1800, nothing happened. Upped again to 2000 to account for breastfeeding calories and still, nothing. Now I'm eating1750,which is my tdee minus 15%. Its been a month since raising my xalories and I havent lost anything at all. I considered going back to eating 1400 but im just so hungry when I eat that little.

So think about it.
    You burn lets say BMR of 1400 sleeping all day.
    You start moving and doing normal activity including exercise and you burn 2300 which includes that BMR, so 900 activity calories.

How much do you eat to not gain or lose?
    What did your body just burn total - 2300.
    So if you ate 2300, no gain or loss.
    If you eat less than 2300, you lose.

Why would you think you must eat below 1400 in order to lose anything?

Along did you wait after changing calories? 1 week, couple days?

How much were you constantly losing on 1400. meaning, same amount each weeks, was it slowing down?
  • kiku76
    Options

So think about it.
    You burn lets say BMR of 1400 sleeping all day.
    You start moving and doing normal activity including exercise and you burn 2300 which includes that BMR, so 900 activity calories.

How much do you eat to not gain or lose?
    What did your body just burn total - 2300.
    So if you ate 2300, no gain or loss.
    If you eat less than 2300, you lose.

Why would you think you must eat below 1400 in order to lose anything?

Along did you wait after changing calories? 1 week, couple days?

How much were you constantly losing on 1400. meaning, same amount each weeks, was it slowing down?

ok that makes sense now. I needed to have it explained to me. sorry

as far as my calories, I was losing consistently for about a month on 1400. (actually closer to 1600 because I ate an extra 200 because I'm breastfeeding my son) I decided to try raising the amount cause I was just always hungry.

I raised it to 1800 on May 5th. I recalculated and added my breastfeeding calories in and started eating 2000 on May 22nd.
  • heybales
    Options

as far as my calories, I was losing consistently for about a month on 1400. (actually closer to 1600 because I ate an extra 200 because I'm breastfeeding my son) I decided to try raising the amount cause I was just always hungry.

I raised it to 1800 on May 5th. I recalculated and added my breastfeeding calories in and started eating 2000 on May 22nd.

Ok, so where is that 1400 in relation to your BMR, and what activity level are you at, and how frequent, long, intense is your exercise workouts?

And do you show any effects of insulin spikes? Like if you just ate a bagel (good test) for breakfast, would you have a tad more energy for a bit, or none, but definitely feel a drop or low in blood sugar, maybe feeling tired?
    Or no effect at all?

The hunger could be caused by meal choices, and what you body wants to see.
    Also could be caused by the big deficit compared to before.
    Or, the one you are trying to avoid it sounds like, the metabolism not dropping yet making you feel less hungry.

And I normally see 500 mentioned in reference to feeding baby, sure on 200?
  • kiku76
    Options

Ok, so where is that 1400 in relation to your BMR, and what activity level are you at, and how frequent, long, intense is your exercise workouts?

And do you show any effects of insulin spikes? Like if you just ate a bagel (good test) for breakfast, would you have a tad more energy for a bit, or none, but definitely feel a drop or low in blood sugar, maybe feeling tired?
    Or no effect at all?

The hunger could be caused by meal choices, and what you body wants to see.
    Also could be caused by the big deficit compared to before.
    Or, the one you are trying to avoid it sounds like, the metabolism not dropping yet making you feel less hungry.

And I normally see 500 mentioned in reference to feeding baby, sure on 200?

BMR is 1350.
    I'm honestly not sure about the blood sugar thing. I know if I eat carbs, my body craves carbs, and I have a hard time losing when I eat too many carbs.
    oh, I say 200 because my son is almost 16 months old. he only nurses for naps and at night now.
  • Michelled1919
    Michelled1919 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    BMR is 1350.
    I'm honestly not sure about the blood sugar thing. I know if I eat carbs, my body craves carbs, and I have a hard time losing when I eat too many carbs.
    oh, I say 200 because my son is almost 16 months old. he only nurses for naps and at night now.

So sure, probably trying for too fine of a line then eating 1400 with BMR at 1350 if healthy estimate is right.

Now from previous experience where body craves carves, were you logging food to see if the craving turned into eating more calories, or just a craving you had to fight?

Probably low blood sugar. Try eating the protein and fat in each meal or snack before the carbs. Hopefully you have no high carb meals/snacks, but protein/fat in each one. See if that improves the hunger aspect.

And hopefully feeding your workouts, because 1400 is barely passable, exercise would dip it even lower.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump/save
  • kiku76
    Options
    BMR is 1350.

So sure, probably trying for too fine of a line then eating 1400 with BMR at 1350 if healthy estimate is right.

Now from previous experience where body craves carves, were you logging food to see if the craving turned into eating more calories, or just a craving you had to fight?

Probably low blood sugar. Try eating the protein and fat in each meal or snack before the carbs. Hopefully you have no high carb meals/snacks, but protein/fat in each one. See if that improves the hunger aspect.

And hopefully feeding your workouts, because 1400 is barely passable, exercise would dip it even lower.
    I will try that, thanks. Right now I'm aiming for about 1900 calories but limiting my carbs. I cut out oatmeal in the mornings (seriously just leaves me famished about an hour or 2 later) and trying to avoid bread and rice. I will see if it helps with the weight loss and hunger.