Could this be wrong?

K.. the "chicken breast" i used for my sandwich today is confusing.
Its packaged at a local market.. Ive been told its the same chicken they use for the subway sandwiches.. which isnt really REAL chicken.. but ANYWAY the package says Serving Size 1 Serving? Doesnt say what a serving is? One breast? so many grams? Anyway, it says the serving is 280 cals?! That seems like a lot for the one chicken breast I used that was 65grams.. do you think its saying the WHOLE package is 280cals?

this is the chicken i bought
DSCF0833.jpg

the nutritional info
DSCF0832.jpg

sorry for the sideways nutritional info

Replies

• sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Hum, that is misleading for sure! I would just weigh your chicken and log it as boneless skinless breast - baked. It works out to about 120 cals per 100g. Depending on the weight of the package, I would say the label is for maybe 2 large pieces.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    With that sodium count I sure hope its for the whole bag.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    It's probably not far off. the serving is 1 serving, not 4 ounces. Looks bigger than normal.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    If a single breast was 85 grams, I'd say there is no way it is 230 calories.

From the MFP database:
    Hampton House (Canada) - Chicken Grillers
    Serving 170 grams

Calories 200
    Total Fat 7 g
    Saturated 4 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Cholesterol 80 mg
    Sodium 677 mg
    Potassium 0 mg
    Total Carbs 3 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 31 g
    Vitamin A 4%
    Vitamin C 4%
    Calcium 10%
    Iron 8%

There is definitely something wrong with that label. For one thing, a chicken breast doesn't have anything like 46 grams carbohydrates. That's off by a factor of about 30, which probably screwed up their calorie calculation. My recommendation: choose something reasonable from the database and ignore that label.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Could you look up the info under subway chicken breast and use that?
  • hpsaucette
    hpsaucette Posts: 100 Member
    It is confusing! The carb count is enormous! What on earth are they putting into decent wholesome yummy chicken to get 46g of carbs? I'd steer clear of it in future. But I'd have thought one serving is one 'fillet' or piece.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    1020 MG OF SODIUM???

The reason the cals and stuff are so high is probably because it's not just chicken. There are all kinds of additives in there, I'm sure.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    That was my initial thought too. For 46 g of carbs, there must be something other than chicken in those fillets. And that's a LOT of salt too!
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    I agree with the others, don't trust the label. Just log it as cooked chicken. When I look up the values of chicken in the USDA database I get 146 mg of cholesterol in a 284-calorie breast. The carbohydrate value is totally off as someone else posted, and the protein value is way too low for that number of calories. So something's not right with that label and I really would not trust it.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Some of those labels are confusing! I bought myself a food scale. I like the accuracy and no confusion. 3 ounces of plain cooked chicken breast is barely 150 calories! That is from the mfp database: generic chicken breast no skin: calories 141, protein 21 grams.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    For 46 g of carbs, there must be something other than chicken in those fillets.

exactly my thought as well.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    i wouldnt eat that. buy fresh chicken and grill it yourself.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Some of those labels are confusing! I bought myself a food scale. I like the accuracy and no confusion. 3 ounces of plain cooked chicken breast is barely 150 calories! That is from the mfp database: generic chicken breast no skin: calories 141, protein 21 grams.

85 grams = 3 ounces

There must be some serious additives in that chicken!
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    It's probably got some marinade or flavor additives in it. I doubt those "grill lines" are really from a grill. Is there a list of ingredients?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Just curious, are there ingredients listed on the package. That whole label looks pretty hooky if you ask me.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Is there an ingredient list on the package? Those "formed" chicken breasts that aren't really chicken breast typically have all kinds of fillers, preservatives, flavorings, etc. that could potentially add up to lots of extra calories. Judging from the carb and sodium count, that's probably what's going on. I don't think logging it as chicken breast really would be accurate either.
  • shicken684
    shicken684 Posts: 36
    I'm going with everyone else and calling that label suspect. Way too many carbs for just chicken. Either someone at the factory screwed up or you're not eating real chicken.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Buy real chicken breasts and grill them yourself! No offense but you might as well go eat a shoe and call it protein if youre gonna eat that ;)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Went to the subway website (assuming these are the same "chicken breast" like product they use). Selected oven roasted chicken breast and salad which uses 1 breast patty, and de-selected everything including vegetables. 71 gram serving size. 90 calories, 340 mg sodium.

Would still recommend buying real, uncooked chicken. chicken breast tenders don't take more than a couple minutes to cook.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    I'm thinking it's one piece of incredibly processed chicken. you would be better off getting real chicken, cooking it ahead of time, and freezing it. Sorry- don't buy processed anymore! LOL