Coconut Oil Question

Options

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how coconut oil with no additions is a processed food?

I've bought it today. I've read a lot about it and I think it fits in a healty diet. I already found out you can cook perfectly with it. It seems to have a lot of health benefits, although I really don't believe all of them are true.

I also bought it as a mosturizer (I suffer from mild psoriasis, and my boyfriend from severe eczema). We already use a coconut cream, but I hope pure coconut oil works even better.
    Is it a coconut? It's a portion of a coconut, not the complete coconut. The non-oil parts of the coconut have been removed from the food, to leave behind just the oil.

ALL oils are processed food. ALL oils are incomplete food. ALL oils are MORE CALORIE DENSE than their whole food counterparts. OILS ARE THE MOST CALORIE DENSE FOOD ON THE PLANET, REGARDLESS OF SOURCE! And, 100% of the calories are from fat.

And as a moisturizer/shaving cream, my girlfriend loves it, but i hate it, because it leaves the shower all slippery!

Pff... you have some serious problems ^^". I can read your message without you using caps-lock. By the way... the human body really needs fat, you know,
    I've read that it does not cause or worsen heart disease. Yes, it does contain a lot of saturated fats. However, these are mostly medium-chain fatty acids, compared to the long-chain fatty acids in most other oils. These medium-chain fatty acids don't have the same negative effect on cholesterol as long-chain and they will even protect against heart disease.

See, my problem is that while this makes intuitive sense, there don't seem to be any studies to back this up. The best I've managed to pull up seem ambiguous, in the sense they say that X Y and Z in coconut oil has these benefits, but overall, that may not negate the overall negative effects and artherosclerotic potential.

The FDA, WHO, Dept. of Health and Human Services, American Heart Association, American Dietetic Association, International College of Nutrition, Dietitians of Canada, ALL recommend consuming coconut oil in small quantities. Are they ALL wrong?

You are absolutely right. The amount of evidence is very little. I think that all the organisations are right. Consuming only a little bit is the savest way. So cooking in coconut oil every other day or so should be fine.

However, I also think that most of those organisations are overprotective ánd that a lot of 'mysteries' around food are still uncovered. Just because there is no evidence yet does not mean it's wrong, dangerous stuff.

(I'm a last-year medical student, so I know a little bit about these things :))

I have a research background myself, and take things I read with a pinch of salt. In this case, we have been changing the way we cook (especially for my dad's heart health), and there are potential consequences to our actions. I agree with you that just because we don't know doesn't mean that something is dangerous, it just means we don't know.

The one primary source citation that was posted earlier led to this:

The application of medium-chain fatty acids: edible oil with a suppressing effect on body fat accumulation. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008;17 Suppl 1:320-3.

Abstract

The bulk of fatty acids found in our diets consists of long-chain fatty acids (LCFA), which are molecules containing 12 or more carbon atoms. In contrast, medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) are composed of 8-10 carbon atoms, and are found in palm kernel oil, among other types of foods. MCFA have attracted attention as being part of a healthy diet, because they are absorbed directly into the portal vein, transported rapidly to the liver for beta-oxidation, and thus increase diet-induced thermogenesis. In contrast, long-chain triacylglycerols are absorbed via the intestinal lymphatic ducts and transported by chylomicrons through the thoracic duct into the systemic circulation. Because medium-chain triacylglycerols (MCT) containing solely MCFA have a few disadvantages when used for deep frying, we have developed a new kind of triacylglycerol product: medium- and long-chain triacylglycerol (MLCT). MLCT is produced by lipase-catalyzed enzymatic transesterification. Long-term clinical trials have demonstrated that MLCT and MCT result in less body fat accumulation in humans. MLCT oil has been approved as FOSHU (Food for Specified Health Use) for use as cooking oil with a suppressing effect on body fat accumulation.

Interesting stuff. Although, IIRC, coconut oil does have fatty acid chains that are in the 8-12 range, so the results may not be as clear cut. I hate it when the extrapolation of 'lauric acid does X' and 'coconut oil contains lauric acid' becomes 'coconut oil does X'.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The part of India I come from uses coconut and coconut oil VERY heavily in our cooking (and everything else too; pretty much every part of the coconut is used). My dad has heart disease and avoids coconut/coconut oil, and I was wondering if there was something I was missing out in terms of scientific evidence that it does not contribute to IHD. When he visits, we're careful about not using coconut/coconut milk/coconut oil in cooking because he won't eat it.

Virgin pressed organic coconut oil isn't at all processed. It is made FROM coconut using a pressing method, so that's a false claim.
    Perhaps they use the canned coconut milk? I don't know whats in there but any study I have ready about coconut oil states that it is good for you. Even though it is "saturated", it is a saturated plant fat, and that isn't the same as saturated animal fat. Please continue to research this, I have never heard these claims before.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'll reword it, sparky: Processed foods are never as healthful as the original foods they are processed from.

I get what you mean. There are different degrees of "processing" food and if you are the kind of person who talks about "processed" foods in terms of doing anything to change the raw ingredient, as opposed to completely bastardizing it, then that's valid. But it should be stated that not everyone views very simple processing (pressing the fruit, without adding chemicals) as a bad thing.

Because you are against ALL processed food doesn't mean they don't have any benefits. The people I know who use coconut oil do so in order to get MORE calories and MORE fat for the day. Is it as healthful as a raw coconut? No, in that it lacks the fiber and other nutritional content. But hey, not everyone is on the raw diet.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    It's WONDERFUL for your hair (as in not eating it but actually rubbing it on your hair). :-)

hummm

maybe I should try this

rub it in as a conditioner and then rinse out ???

I massage it into my scalp and onto the ends a few times a week (no rinsing). I also use it as a finishing product and a facial moisturizer. It's probably too oily for most people but I have very dry skin and hair and it works great!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    ANY and ALL processed foods are bad for you. Coconut oil is a processed food. If you want coconut fat in your diet, eat raw coconut.

Guess I need to stop making homemade applesauce, it's processed after all.
  • Spanaval
    Options
    The part of India I come from uses coconut and coconut oil VERY heavily in our cooking (and everything else too; pretty much every part of the coconut is used). My dad has heart disease and avoids coconut/coconut oil, and I was wondering if there was something I was missing out in terms of scientific evidence that it does not contribute to IHD. When he visits, we're careful about not using coconut/coconut milk/coconut oil in cooking because he won't eat it.

Virgin pressed organic coconut oil isn't at all processed. It is made FROM coconut using a pressing method, so that's a false claim.
    Perhaps they use the canned coconut milk? I don't know whats in there but any study I have ready about coconut oil states that it is good for you. Even though it is "saturated", it is a saturated plant fat, and that isn't the same as saturated animal fat. Please continue to research this, I have never heard these claims before.

That seems like a non-sequitur. I'm not sure if you meant to respond to someone else.

Anyway, no we don't use canned coconut milk. It's not available. Even if it were, coconut is cheap and abundant. Pretty much everyone has access to them and grow them. I would love to see the studies you have seen. Mostly, what I've found have been opinion pieces. Very little by way of actual scientific literature that posits health benefits to the use of coconut oil.
  • AnkeAkke
    AnkeAkke Posts: 23
    Options
    I have a research background myself, and take things I read with a pinch of salt. In this case, we have been changing the way we cook (especially for my dad's heart health), and there are potential consequences to our actions. I agree with you that just because we don't know doesn't mean that something is dangerous, it just means we don't know.

The one primary source citation that was posted earlier led to this:

The application of medium-chain fatty acids: edible oil with a suppressing effect on body fat accumulation. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008;17 Suppl 1:320-3.

Abstract

The bulk of fatty acids found in our diets consists of long-chain fatty acids (LCFA), which are molecules containing 12 or more carbon atoms. In contrast, medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) are composed of 8-10 carbon atoms, and are found in palm kernel oil, among other types of foods. MCFA have attracted attention as being part of a healthy diet, because they are absorbed directly into the portal vein, transported rapidly to the liver for beta-oxidation, and thus increase diet-induced thermogenesis. In contrast, long-chain triacylglycerols are absorbed via the intestinal lymphatic ducts and transported by chylomicrons through the thoracic duct into the systemic circulation. Because medium-chain triacylglycerols (MCT) containing solely MCFA have a few disadvantages when used for deep frying, we have developed a new kind of triacylglycerol product: medium- and long-chain triacylglycerol (MLCT). MLCT is produced by lipase-catalyzed enzymatic transesterification. Long-term clinical trials have demonstrated that MLCT and MCT result in less body fat accumulation in humans. MLCT oil has been approved as FOSHU (Food for Specified Health Use) for use as cooking oil with a suppressing effect on body fat accumulation.

Interesting stuff. Although, IIRC, coconut oil does have fatty acid chains that are in the 8-12 range, so the results may not be as clear cut. I hate it when the extrapolation of 'lauric acid does X' and 'coconut oil contains lauric acid' becomes 'coconut oil does X'.

Ah, you're so right! Just ways to selling things to uneducated people.

So, there is some evidence that medium chain fatty acids are not bad for humans. However, there is only limited evidence that it is actually of any benifit.
    But you are for now only interested in the first part; is it dangerous for your father. I think it isn't. However, if it was my father, I might not have taken the risk. Here in Holland we have plenty of alternatives to use. Do you have?
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing at whomever I was reading here it is that is trying to insist pure virgin coconut oil is a processed food! WTH? Wow...amazing...

Actually there is so much scientific evidence to support...it is everywhere. My MD uses it and recommends it to his patients...he is a research fanatic! I think what it comes down to is do your own research and make your OWN decisions and quit knocking what other people choose to do... quite frankly, no one's business. If someone wants to eat dirt, still their choice, eh? ;o)
  • Spanaval
    Options
    I'm laughing at whomever I was reading here it is that is trying to insist pure virgin coconut oil is a processed food! WTH? Wow...amazing...

Actually there is so much scientific evidence to support...it is everywhere. My MD uses it and recommends it to his patients...he is a research fanatic! I think what it comes down to is do your own research and make your OWN decisions and quit knocking what other people choose to do... quite frankly, no one's business. If someone wants to eat dirt, still their choice, eh? ;o)

If there is so much scientific evidence, where is it, and why can't I find it? I'm considering enlisting the help of my librarian friend because this is starting to drive me crazy. I'm not knocking what other people choose to put in their body, but I do want to make well informed decisions, and in tjis case, making the wrong one has potentially disasterous consequences.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Sorry I haven't really seen any scientific evidence but there is a stack of anecdotal evidence on here. Any specific reason you want to take coconut oil?

ETA - personally I love it because it tastes great, I use it in coffee :)
    OMG...cant wait to try this tonight...I have been using for about a month...I am losing nicely, but I am also eating very clean and working out hard...I LOVE IT!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    ANY and ALL processed foods are bad for you. Coconut oil is a processed food. If you want coconut fat in your diet, eat raw coconut.

Guess I need to stop making homemade applesauce, it's processed after all.

There are various degrees of processing. There is nothing wrong with homemade applesauce since you aren't really altering the chemical makeup of the apple. What most people refer to when they talk about processed foods are foods enriched or stripped of nutrients. Perfect example of "Smart Bread", it's reprocessed wheat that's stripped of all nutrients and then everything is added back artificially.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Is it a coconut, or is it a product made from a coconut? Maybe it's "lightly" processed, but it is certainly not a whole food.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Is it a coconut, or is it a product made from a coconut? Maybe it's "lightly" processed, but it is certainly not a whole food.

And you have yet to show that "processing" has any harmful effects.

Please stop talking
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Please stop talking out of your *kitten*.
    Didn't i ask you to explain yourself? Still coming with the angry one-liners. Go ahead and please tell us how processing makes a food better.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Please stop talking

Are you suggesting that eating processed foods is the same as whole foods in their natural state?
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Please stop talking
    Didn't i ask you to explain yourself? Still coming with the angry one-liners. Go ahead and please tell us how processing makes a food better.

Burden of proof: The onus is on the person making the claim. YOU claimed that "processing" makes food "bad", yet have done nothing to support your claim except trying to shift the burden of proof.

Put up or shut up.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Are you suggesting that eating processed foods is the same as whole foods in their natural state?

It depends on the level (and type) of processing. Butchering a cow or chicken is processing. I'd rather not eat feathers, k.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'll reword it, sparky: Processed foods are never as healthful as the original foods they are processed from.

I get what you mean. There are different degrees of "processing" food and if you are the kind of person who talks about "processed" foods in terms of doing anything to change the raw ingredient, as opposed to completely bastardizing it, then that's valid. But it should be stated that not everyone views very simple processing (pressing the fruit, without adding chemicals) as a bad thing.

Because you are against ALL processed food doesn't mean they don't have any benefits. The people I know who use coconut oil do so in order to get MORE calories and MORE fat for the day. Is it as healthful as a raw coconut? No, in that it lacks the fiber and other nutritional content. But hey, not everyone is on the raw diet.

Regular coconuts are pretty inexpensive, but damn hard to crack open, I always want to buy them then I think "How in the Sam Hill am I going to open this thing?" and put it back. True story.
  • Spanaval
    Options

Regular coconuts are pretty inexpensive, but damn hard to crack open, I always want to buy them then I think "How in the Sam Hill am I going to open this thing?" and put it back. True story.

Hammer. Yes, really.

Machetes and cleavers work well too.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options

If there is so much scientific evidence, where is it, and why can't I find it? I'm considering enlisting the help of my librarian friend because this is starting to drive me crazy. I'm not knocking what other people choose to put in their body, but I do want to make well informed decisions, and in tjis case, making the wrong one has potentially disasterous consequences.

Spanaval: Maybe this will help with your search for scientific literature: The June 2012 issue of Nutrition Health Newsletter published by the Center for Science in the Public Interest has a two-page article evaluating coconut oil health claims. Based on a review of scientific literature, they conclude (among other things) that "There is no good evidence that 'virgin' coconut oil does less damage to your heart than conventional coconut oil."

The article quotes a Harvard SPH cardiologist: "....we can't recommend that people replace olive, canola, or other liquid oils with coconut oil."

The article also concludes that there is "no good evidence" supporting claims relative to weight loss and Alzheimer's disease. They further note that, while there may be weight loss benefits associated with specially formulated MCT oils, it is not clear if the same benefits accrue from coconut oil.

The bottom line of the article (consistent with what you've learned): there is little solid research to definitively support the claims of health benefits, while there continue to be reasons to be wary of using too much of the stuff.

The article cites these sources:
    Lipids 44: 593, 2009
    Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 87: 621, 2008
    Nutr. Metab. 6: 31, 2009
    Trends Food Sci. Tech. 20: 481, 2009
    Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 94: 1451, 2011