Pre-Workout Snack or Empty Stomach?

Options
2»

Replies

• sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    I work out early morning. If I don't eat something, I don't have the energy to give the workout my best. I eat breakfast--usually a protein bar or a bowl of granola and skim milk. I get up early enough that I have about an hour between breakfast and my workout.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I generally do my workouts around an hour before lunch, so I've had breakfast & it's been well digested. If I can't sleep and work out during the night I have nothing before it but a protein shake after.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i have a small, 120 calorie or so, protein snack about an hour or hour and a half before the gym. if i don't have a snack i kind of hit a wall and get exhausted.
  • roddi7997
    roddi7997 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any one specific way to do it. You try different things and see what works best for you. If you do eat before working out I would do it at least an hour before to avoid burpin it up
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    i have got into a simple routine for this, and it's not something that i gotta push myself to do, at this point, it becomes a healthy habit.

1) wake up, use the rest room
    2) eat 1 hard boiled egg (and hydrate).
    3) hit the cardio.

I dont hydrate during my workouts because i like to weigh myself after every morning cardio. and it does not dissapoint.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have to have some fuel in me before I work out. Today it's a banana. My best workouts though are when I eat a full meal and wait an hour. I wish I could do that all the time, but I'm too afraid once I go home I won't go back to the gym.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting read: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek34.htm

I can't vouch for the accuracy, of course, but interesting nonetheless.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I get up at 4:30, take a bus downtown and hit the gym at 5:45. I don't eat before, because it's just too early to think about food. My routine is water before I work out, and then after, my breakfast (coffee and something....but I NEED the coffee!)

I tried eating a handful of almonds before, but I didn't notice a difference in my workout, and really didn't like it, so I stopped that.
  • atoffan
    atoffan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If it's early morning I like empty stomach cardio. But I won't do anything intense like intervals or weights without having eaten something. That being said, I wouldn't eat right before either. I try to give it at least 45min post snack.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I workout at night and usually grab something small before a workout, like a granola bar or fruit that hydrates ya like oranges or watermelon. About 15 minutes before a workout I think. If I exercise on an empty stomach, I won't give it my all.
  • rangerwife77
    Options
    Deff a pre-work out snack! something with carbs for energy. Throw in some protein in there, doesn't have to be anything big. A banana and a protein shake will work. If you are doing strength or lifting weights you'll want to bring a protein shake with you for right after work out as well.
  • misanthropist319
    Options
    I can't eat before working out; I feel awlful when I do. It's to the point where I have to be sure to stop eating a couple hours before I am going to do any strenuous physical activity. But I'm sure it's different for everyone.
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    I usually workout about 2 hours after eating. But I've also gone on runs after eating ENORMOUS meals, and after eating nothing at all. For me, the only important thing is making sure I've been drinking enough water all day -- if I'm at all dehydrated, it's so much harder.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I tried both.....and I realize that I work out longer and harder when I eat 1-2 hours before my workout....light meal of about 400 cals.... sometimes I'll even drink some milk/protein shake 30 minutes before the workout...I feel like it fuels my burn.

When I used to run/workout on an empty stomach, I feel like I gave up sooner and didn't feel that rush of "kicking *kitten*" that I feel when I fuel up.

thats just me
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It's all based on personal preference and what you find works best. I don't go on an empty stomach for the simple fact that it leaves me feeling horrible and I can't perform as well. I need the fuel before going. Thats just me though.
    You will find so many studies saying different things. I've read one recently saying it isn't better to go on empty but I'm sure there are plenty of others ones out there saying different things. Just goes to show that everybody is different in how their body responds to things. If your not performing at your best, then get some food in beforehand.

My pre-workouts are usually nut bars, pb and banana toast, or protein bread if I have some made.
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Is it better to have a snack before working out or to go on an empty stomach? If my goal is maximum fat burn? And if I should have a snack, what would the most ideal snack be? Thanks!

I, personally prefer a small snack...now! I learned this the hard way though. Once I didn't eat anything before a workout class and near the end I was so nauseated that I didn't make it to the cool down :sick:. So now, I usually eat half of a Clif bar and that sustains me and puts a little something on my tummy and my tummy is happy :tongue: .
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My pre-workouts are usually nut bars, pb and banana toast, or protein bread if I have some made.
    [/quote]

How do you make protein bread? That sounds interesting.