HOW DO YOU CALCULATE A BUFFET? (E.G. GOLDEN CORRAL)

Options

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Buffets gross me out. All I can think about is how many people breathed on the food, coughed or sneezed on it, picked their noses before grabbing the serving utensils... *shudder*

I realize the potential for any of this at any restaurant, but at least when it's prepared in a kitchen and brought directly to me, the exposure is more limited. :ohwell:

^^^^this!

This freaks me out too. I use a napkin on the shared utensils. People look at me like "why are you here if you are afraid of the food?"

It's a great question. That's why I only go a couple of times a year to satisfy a craving for everything.
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    cici's ain't too bad on calories, just high in sodium. look up cici's pizza on here. stuff come up for it

golden corral has nutritional info on their website.... you can input it on here...
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    We don't eat at buffets very often because I don't eat enough to be cost-effective with the price. The rare times I do eat at one, I usually eat a salad or soup before hand, give it time to settle, and then take a little bit of what looks good. I don't eat the fried stuff (that much grease usually gives me an upset stomach) nor the stuff I can see swimming in grease. If I'm being really strict, I stick to well known items that I am confident I can find calorie information on. For dessert, if I have it, I have a diabetic dessert or just fresh fruit.

I log it. I'm eating at a buffet less than once a month, so I'm not going to stress it too much.

I try to avoid the self-defeating belief that someone overweight can't control themselves at a buffet. It does NOT have to be that way.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My general guideline for eating when I really have no clue of the calories (and an Indian buffet would fit this category):

If I eat just until I'm not hungry any more and stop, just drink water, etc: 1000 calories
    If I eat until I'm full but not stuffed: 1500 calories
    If I eat until I'm stuffed: 2000 calories or more, depending on HOW stuffed

Of course this depends on what you've eaten the rest of the day, and thus how hungry you were going in. The general idea for me though is that it's easier to estimate calories based on how I feel than to try to figure out every individual dish and quantity that I ate.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would agree with those who said you should try to keep track as best you can and then make the healthiest choices you can, but allowing yourself a little indulgence if it's a once-in-a-while thing. I recently went to a banquet that had a buffet dinner and I just kept track on my phone, but could just as easily have jotted it on an index card or small memo pad if I didn't have a Smart Phone.
    I ended up having a small chicken thigh, about 4-5 cocktail size meatballs, some thinly sliced roast beef, a roll with butter, some salad with a tiny bit of dressing, and a few chunks of fruit. I don' t like mayonnaise and I'm not a fan of sauces or even most pastas unless they're plain or just tomato sauce made at home, so I don't have to worry about that. (I DID end up splurging on some sheet cake and a cookie.) My whole meal was right around 1,370, including the desserts and a regular Snapple since they didn't have any diet. Otherwise, I would have had only about 850, so it can be done. Just plan, be careful, keep track, but enjoy yourself and then move on the next day and the days to come.
    Another tip: Don't starve yourself all day to go to the buffet, or you're more likely to overindulge. Have a light breakfast and lunch, and maybe get in an extra workout earlier in the day to offset your heavier meal.

Finally, when I belonged to WW, our leader mentioned that a good rule of thumb is that when you're eating out just to replace your home-cooked and eaten meal, stay within your allotments. If you're going to indulge, only do so if it's truly a special occasion.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    There is literally no answer to your question OP. How can you canculate anything when you don't mention what you typically eat? There are usually always low-cal options at a buffet, as well as many more high-cal options.

This question is essentially the same as "How many calories are in the cart when I go grocery shopping?" It's your decision.

/damn, now I want buffet :laugh:
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I went to a breakfast buffet this past weekend....ate fairly sensible..and tracked the food individually. I have problems tracking food at churck potlucks for the same reason.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Right? I don't have nearly enough calories or enough of a single macro left today to swing it though. Not even a "healthy" plate.
  • StarkLark
    Options

Right? I don't have nearly enough calories or enough of a single macro left today to swing it though. Not even a "healthy" plate.
    Surely you could go and get a large plate of lettuce and vegetables with no dressing....

ahhhh F&%# it, what's the point of that?! :wink:
  • blowsfire
    blowsfire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    JUST went there yesterday. i typed in golden corral and chose the things i ate on there, of course i am done after one trip and dessert so...:drinker:
  • StarkLark
    Options
    JUST went there yesterday. i typed in golden corral and chose the things i ate on there, of course i am done after one trip and dessert so...:drinker:
    So wait, you used the MFP database to look up and log your food?? If only the OP knew about this wonderful site and app! :tongue:

/Ok I'm getting way too snarky, sorry weightlossguy01. Back to work for me.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    http://www.goldencorral.com/menu/
    Click on hot buffet/cold buffet - whatever...and it will give you the nutritional value.

Best thing is not to go though! :D
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    Instead of going to their website, you can go to the food database on MFP and search for Golden Corral. There are a bunch of foods listed. You can see what they have, take note of what you eat when you go, and then log it through the database.

Except there might be multiple listings for a single item with a vastly varying range of calorie counts. This is one of the things I find frustrating. I'd rather have the information directly from the source so that when I go to the database I know that I am choosing the right item.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    I have never really over eat at Golden Corral just based on I'm a bit picky about my food. Don't like food over cooked and picked thru but children. I would also choose the wrong foods just because I like fried chicken and fried shrimp. But I quit going back for seconds loooooooong before I started this diet. And I try not to over fill my plate. But the rolls, yeah they are a weakness :( I haven't been since last August. Now a chinese buffet that's def. an issue..Deep fried breaded coconut shrimp..OMG I used to go once a week just to get that stuff, Haven't been since before January. How's that for being good.
  • MMKE4ever
    MMKE4ever Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I went to Golden Corral just yesterday. I made sure I remembered everything I ate and how much. I also ate my salad and healthy stuff first so I wouldn't eat too much crappy food. You just have to limit yourself and if you go over a little, go for a walk after. That's what I do and it works for me. :happy:
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    I keep track of what I eat and log it best I can. On April 9th I went to Golden Corral and it looks like it set me back about 2390.
    ugh......my strategy is to load up on the fresh veggies, not the prepared salads, and tons of water. If I eat anything after that, it's usually chicken and more veggies. Sometimes I slip. I'm human - it happens.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    We have a huge family (5 kids) and go to buffet-type places at times because it is cheaper for our family to eat out. (CiCi's, Ryan's, and there is a kick butt homestyle buffet with country cookin that is sooooo good).

I do fine there when we eat out. I load up on salad and raw veggies and use 2 tbsp of dressing like I would here at home, and then choose the turkey/baked chicken, green beans and then skip dessert (or thin crust veggie pizza at CiCi's). Just because you go doesn't mean you are forced into over-eating! Practice portion control and make good choices! If you have been on this site for any length of time, you should have a good idea of what is good food vs "bad" food.

If you don't trust yourself yet - don't go. But how else are you going to practice what you have learned? You can't eat in a bubble all of the time!
  • halcionne
    halcionne Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had Golden Corral for lunch a couple of hours ago! It was a spur of the moment thing, but I really tried to be good. I had a salad plate with unlimited veggies, 3 chicken strips, oil & vinegar dressing, a deviled egg (my weakness, but I kept it to just one!). Moving on, I had Mexican rice, baked sweet potato with one tablespoon of sour cream (another weakness), New Orleans-style baked fish (I wasn't very excited about it -- I was just trying to be good -- but it was actually pretty tasty), turnip greens & black-eyed peas. Chocolate fudge and a s'more thing made out of vanilla wafers with a quick dunk under the chocolate fountain and I called it a day! My family's buffet mentality is 'eat til you're ready to pop -- that's the only way to get your money's worth!' but you have to let that go and remember your portion control. In the end my lunch amounted to one salad plate, one hot food plate, and a tiny (for the old me) dessert. I feel like I beat the dragon! And, yes, I feel like I got my ten buck's worth, too!

BTW, skip the soda and have ice water. It's refreshing!
  • aaharrington
    Options
    I make sure to log all of the food that I eat at buffets. My husband LOVES buffets and it gives me a chance to eat foods he doesn't like, so we go a few times a month. I drink water and try to take drinks often to slow my eating. Last time I went, I spent about 1200 calories, but I knew I was going so I made sure to work out before we left the house! Stay away from fried stuff and I look for items that I can figure out the ingredients of, no "mystery meatloaf" for me! Don't stop going to buffets because you're on a diet. Once you're off of your diet you'll go back and won't know how to eat well there.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My family calls it Golden Trough. I try to avoid it.

Having said that, my daughter is in a hospital and we had her out for a day this week and guess where she chose to go? Yep, Golden Trough. I just wanted to bury my head under the darn chocolate fountain by the end. Ended up just writing the day off.