Sweetener dilemma? Splenda or Stevia?

Options

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Never joined the sweetener debate.... I have always used Dominoes pure cane sugar it is only 15 calories a spoonful......

This! I'd rather have a little yummy sugar than the substitutes that all taste like crap and/or have a bad aftertaste.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Stevia - GH has a 1/2 sugar 1/2 Stevia that I use.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Real sugar
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Truvia brand "stevia" IS an artificial sweetener. Only a very small percentage is actually Rebiana (stevia) the rest is Erythritol a sugar alchohol and "natural flavors".

So whichever you find tastes better?
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I actually use Teavana's German Rock Sugar. Although it has 25 calories a tsp. vs sugar's 15, I use much less of it than I would sugar. It does not overpower but adds a light sweetness that actually brings out the flavor of my tea/coffee better!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried replacing sugar and artificial sweetener with agave nectar? I've been meaning to try it, but I really don't use sweetener much outside what's in my diet tea.
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a box of Splenda that I bought well over a year ago and it's still 90% full. I've never tried Stevia but I hear wonderful things about it. I obviously don't have any semblance of a sweet tooth, so honestly, I'd probably be fine with just regular sugar. You may as well, depending on how much sweetener you need/want/are allowed to have in your diet.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    stevia. don't want sweet chemicals.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Truvia brand "stevia" IS an artificial sweetener. Only a very small percentage is actually Rebiana (stevia) the rest is Erythritol a sugar alchohol and "natural flavors".

So whichever you find tastes better?
    Geez, I didn't find this out until AFTER I bought it... What a gyp! Now I have a whole box of this in my cabinet. Oh, well I keep my sugar bowl stocked with various packets so guests can choose what they like.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    All arguments about artificial sweeteners are flawed.

1. stevia is natural - so is opium, tobacco, arsenic, and any number of naturally occurring chemicals that can kill you
    2. I don't want to put those chemicals in my body - all things you ingest have chemicals. it is often used as a derogatory term, but it is also a pointless term. The existence, or lack thereof, of a chemical is not sufficient to explain or disregard any ill effects the substance may have on the body. in other words, just because one has a chemical, and the other doesn't, it has no bearing on the end effect on the human body.
    3. Splenda has chlorine in it!!! - so does salt!!! notice how chlorine, as an element in a molecule, has absolutely NO bearing on the same element in a different molecular arrangement? Oxygen is good! except when it is in H2S04, then it is a dangerous acid.
    4. studies show . . . - given enough time, you can find studies that show ANYTHING has ill effects. I read a study showing stevia caused DNA mutation in lab rats. Experiments have to be substantiated and recreated in order to be considered as valid evidence in ANY study. Just "hearing" about some negative study somewhere is not proof.
  • lyndabw
    lyndabw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the taste of Stevia. I pick Splenda

{Quote} try truvia granular, just like sugar, yum. No insulin response.
    :drinker:
    :tongue:
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do not ever buy artificial sweeteners, although I do buy products that contain them (diet soda and sugar free coffee mixes). I did recently buy Stevia at a pharmacy as it was promoted as "natural" and supposedly tastier. Well, I hate it. It has an extremely sweetish aftertaste. Yuck.
  • cravingcollarbone
    Options
    I prefer Stevia.
    Splenda is kinda gross & powdery in my opinion.

That & I love when the Stevia is still crunchy. :)
  • Cruzeleny
    Cruzeleny Posts: 21
    Options
    Awesome thanks! so many great comments.. I think I´ll stay with Stevia.. It tastes a little weird but just in case since Splenda is not natural better be safe.. haha :)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I don't personally use sweeteners, but my mother, father, and sister all work in the medical profession, and they have been advised to use Stevia and not Splenda. ^^

I don't use any either, and splenda is bad for you.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    honey, or raw sugar...not imatation over prossesed stuf
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    stevia is natural splenda will kill you.I call it cancer by the pack.
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love Splenda! Mostly because my Abuela used to sneak them into her famous Sweet Potato Pie and I didn't notice the difference
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of artificial sweetener BLEH. I would take advantage of it if the taste didn't make me want to die. I guess....this post isn't very helpful? :-/?

I also heard it causes cancer in lab rats? So....maybe just skip it? ;-)

Splenda is chemicals, Stevia is from a plant. Guys, don't confuse the two... they are NOT the same thing!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I prefer stevia