bump
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    major bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the OP deactivated. And this thread will more than likely get locked. So I'll throw my two-cents in anyway because I'm a forum-reknowned THREAD KILLER! Once I get in, that's it. For some reason, I KILL THREADS!

So here I am, to kill the thread for everybody.

While the OP deactivated, I hope he checks this later and sees this message. OP, you never stated that your word was gospel and that you were a genius, expert or even a fully credible scientist - and yet every single one of the sharks come out to play on you. Unfair.
    Sure, you overreacted and got defensive but the lesson here is when you try to help people just remember there are a lot of people who don't want help. You posted some parts of your post without any citations but I hardly see that as a deadly sin. Everyone needs to put their guns away.

Thanks for trying, OP. It was tl;dr IMO, but I can at least see you were trying to help. Which is something these forum-warriors need to remember.

Trying to help is one thing. Writing in a condescending, incomprehensible manner while trying to pass something off as having scientic basis without any support is another.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting regardless of what came. Thanks for your time and effort.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the OP deactivated. And this thread will more than likely get locked. So I'll throw my two-cents in anyway because I'm a forum-reknowned THREAD KILLER! Once I get in, that's it. For some reason, I KILL THREADS!

While the OP deactivated, I hope he checks this later and sees this message. OP, you never stated that your word was gospel and that you were a genius, expert or even a fully credible scientist - and yet every single one of the sharks come out to play on you. Unfair.
    Sure, you overreacted and got defensive but the lesson here is when you try to help people just remember there are a lot of people who don't want help. You posted some parts of your post without any citations but I hardly see that as a deadly sin. Everyone needs to put their guns away.

Thanks for trying, OP. It was tl;dr IMO, but I can at least see you were trying to help. Which is something these forum-warriors need to remember.

Trying to help is one thing. Writing in a condescending, incomprehensible manner while trying to pass something off as having scientic basis without any support is another.

^^this...worse yet, he tried to pass off his unsubstatiated supposed facts as his own thoughts
  • TiffanyElaine89
    TiffanyElaine89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I agree he came off really cocky, but the response to him was a little much...I started feeling sorry for him. :)
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump want to read tonight
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Can someone please give me the cliffs to this? I tried to read then my ADD kicked in and I was done.

What myths are being refuted here?

Me too

Me three.... good god, my eyes are crossed.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    [/quote]

I also agree.

Part of being a scientist is learning to take criticism of your work. You've demonstrated a complete failure in your ability to take criticism here by attacking those who, rightfully, questioned your claims. The article you wrote initially is borderline incoherent, lacks any citations to legitimate scientific literature, and is disorganized at best. If I read this article from a student of mine, the grade would be very poor.

I highly recommend you think more about what you post before you make a thread like this so that we understand your points more clearly and provide the necessary references or citations.

My credentials:
    M.S. in Mathematics, finishing up a Ph.D. in biology at a top tier university
    I've been teaching basic biology and calculus for the last 5 years as well.
    8 publications (4 of which occurred as an undergraduate) and a book coauthorship.

P.S. I'm not saying any of this to be mean to you at all, but it's important to get your head around these concepts if you ever plan to be successful in science. Furthermore, there are a lot of people on here including Acg67, Sidesteal, and PercivalHackworth who know a lot about nutrition and fitness. Their opinions are based in science, so it is unwise to dismiss them as "trolls" when they question you.
    [/quote]

This is the best response to a post, ever, in the history of the world. Thank you.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You claim to be a credible scientist, yet you have not even completed your undergraduate education. I am a fourth year Biology & Biochemistry double major as well as a personal trainer, but I absolutely DO NOT claim to know "almost everything about every process in the human body." I would hope that if you plan to be a research scientist or to pursue a science-based career that you learn some humility. The human body is an elegant machine, and the beauty of biological science is that we have so much left to learn about ourselves. At its core, weight loss is a biological process. Yes, many weight loss "facts" are anecdotal. There may not be peer-reviewed articles addressing many of these "facts." That does not warrant a complete discount of these weight loss claims. You even stated that your research is not in the topic of weight loss. You are in your third year of college. Understand that you must adopt a different attitude toward biology and science if you want to succeed or to be respected by a scientific community.
  • Lainnee
    Lainnee Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Save to read
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I just had to bump this because of the epic nature of Elizabeth_C34 's response was that of which songs should be sung about.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what myths were you responding to exactly?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what myths were you responding to exactly?

The fight is over, common sense prevailed. He deactivated his account.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am a terrific researcher....
    .... Also, sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes....

Lol.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I agree he came off really cocky, but the response to him was a little much...I started feeling sorry for him. :)

I agree - he should have to defend his position against questioning and scrutiny, but that isn't what he got. There was very little constructive criticism, it was mostly insult and attack.
  • zanAspera
    zanAspera Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank your for taking the time to explain so much .. and in very clear scientific (yet understandable !) terms.
    I truly appreciate the honesty.
    A question .. I was recently reading in Timothy Ferris' book The 4-hour Body that the amount of calories macro-nutrients (proteins, fats and carbs) release are measured by how much energy they release when incinerated.. and that our bodies , rather than incinerate metabolise these nutrients differently. In a study (conducted by Kekwick and Pawan) he quotes... 3 groups put on calorically equal , semi-starvation diets of 90% fat, 90% protein and 90% fat. The results were as follows... the 90% fat group lost .9lbs/day, the 90% protein group lost .6lbs/day, and the 90% carb group gainer .24/day.
    His rationale is that the way we measure calories today was established in 19th century by chemist Wilbur O. Atwater through incinerating foods and is archaic. That it's the hormonal response to macronutrients (in particular carbs) that determines whether our bodies store or burn the metabolites ... and that each person's response varies.
    I find this fascinating!
    Love to hear your thoughts!!
    j

This was the only value I got out of this thread. You cited a specific scientific test, with hypothesis, test parameters and results and source for those who wish to dig deeper. You gave us something we could google. Concise with a point.

I happen to be smart enough and have a long enough attention span to read the original article, the only value I got out if it was that it prompted your reply which was free of the ad hominem (albeit no entirely undeserved) that stained the rest of this thread.

I thank you