Swimming?

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Swimming is, in many ways, the ideal exercise for the very overweight, and a great exercise for everyone else:) It is very low/zero impact (depending on stroke used), your blood pressure lowers as soon as you are 1/3 immersed in water (some weird evolution throwback thing apparently) and there is little embarrassement factor as no-one can see you properly once you're in the water.....

I wear my HRM to swim - it's only a cheapish Polar F4, but perfectly waterproof. I've found MFP was pretty accurate for my swim burns, I average around 200cals per half hour.....

For some ideas of how to swim toi lose weight/get fitter/tone up (whatever you're aiming for) you can look at http://www.swimming.org/swimfit/about-swimfit/
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I swim about once a week, as well as power walk/swim in the ocean on weekends, and it's an awesome workout. If you want to add muscle, you need to strength train, but for low impact cardio, swimming is the best. I also walk, cycle and do various cardio and strength training in the gym (I have bad knees too), and so far I've lost nearly 50 lbs just since December. It's all about moving and burning more calories than you consume.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue with swimming, is it's very difficult to track your calorie burn. Intensity and overall swim time play a part in your burn. It's not like being on the treadmill where you can walk steadily for 30 minutes for a predictable burn. Personally, I think MFP drastically OVERestimates the calorie burn. When I swim, I use 3 different online calculators that ask for a standard 100yd time, and take the average from them. Even that is just a rough guess.

Go for it though. It gets you HR up, and works those muscles, and can be a helluva workout if you put in the effort.

This is very true. Get a heart rate monitor, OP. I wear one in the gym and in the pool - you get an accurate reading. Swimming DOESN'T burn mega calories and MFP really DOES overestimate it. I swam only yesterday and my calorie burn for 80 mins (slowly) was about 270 calories. MFP calculated it at over 1500.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am noticing a difference and it DOES burn calories. Try treading for a really good work out, as well. You will be huffing. I also take time out and hold on the wall of the pool with my back against the wall and raise and lower my legs(heels touching, knees touching) with just my stomach muscles. My abs bark at this. Best of luck and happy swimming.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fat guy on a swim team? Yes, you can lose weight swimming.

Okay this makes me laugh because in high school our men's team was about 80% 'fat guys' and those guys made up our best relays. We were a very good team as well.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue with swimming, is it's very difficult to track your calorie burn. Intensity and overall swim time play a part in your burn. It's not like being on the treadmill where you can walk steadily for 30 minutes for a predictable burn. Personally, I think MFP drastically OVERestimates the calorie burn. When I swim, I use 3 different online calculators that ask for a standard 100yd time, and take the average from them. Even that is just a rough guess.

Go for it though. It gets you HR up, and works those muscles, and can be a helluva workout if you put in the effort.

not arguing, as i really haven't done much swimming recently, but wouldn't a water resistant HRM be effective at tracking calorie burn from swimming? i was considering getting one myself for just this purpose, as i do swim a lot on vacations and such where a pool is available. have you tried one?
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Also try pool "push ups". Put your hands on the edge of the pool, where your butt would be if you were sitting on the edge with your feet dangling in. Push yourself up with your arms all the way out of the pool until your arms are straight. Then let yourself go back into the water all the way under. Repeat. Good work out for the upper body. Watch out that you do not hit your nose on the edge. We did these in high school for warm ups. As you get stronger you will be able to do more and more of these.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone tell you that you can't lose weight with swimming. I'm an ex-competitive swimmer, and I was always, without exception, 10-15 lb lighter in the main competition season (multiple workouts a day) than the off season (a few times a week), and when I quit, my weight started to skyrocket. That being said, just how much you can lose depends how good you are at it. If you don't have the endurance/technique to go for very long or at a very high intensity, you aren't going to burn as many calories as someone who can swim for hours each week at a good clip. The old ladies doing their gentle, slower-than-a-turtle breaststroke (IN MY FAST LANE :mad: ) are barely burning anything at all.

Fair warning: I haven't yet found an exercise that makes me hungrier than swimming does. An hour in the pool, and I WILL try to eat absolutely anything set in front of me. I find my appetite boost from other exercises to be much more manageable.
  • Misty_Rage
    Misty_Rage Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Fair warning: I haven't yet found an exercise that makes me hungrier than swimming does. An hour in the pool, and I WILL try to eat absolutely anything set in front of me. I find my appetite boost from other exercises to be much more manageable.

I have already found this to be true. Im saving breakfast until after my swim, sometimes lunch depending on how long I am at the pool. I usually try to get out there early to protect my fair skin from the worst of the summer sun.

I swam longer today than I had been most days, and consumed less calories than I have been allotted and am not hungry today.

I have a theory that instead of hunger its actually thirst. I think its simple attempt at balancing the 100% water with the water in your body. We often ignore thirst and hunger is the body's next attempt at getting fluids. So I have been drinking a TON of water! I hope that helps curb the hunger.

Thanks for all the replies and the success stories! I will keep it up. Its also not the only form of exercise I am doing.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    ya know..thirst is a great point. It's easy to think you're not thirsty when you're in the pool. I always leave a water bottle at the end of my lane and also drink another after I'm done. It helps.
    I'm still hungry as hell though. Crazy how this sport does that more than any other...and I play/do lots.

I'm a swimming believer though. I learned how to swim before I learned how to walk. It's never failed me. Keep it up...and enjoy! :happy:
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i just decided to add swimming into my workout. I cant swim well i swim above water and stuff but i figure its moving and burning calories lol
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ I just got out of my pool and burned over 700 calories ( HRM verified ) ... I do a " Sprint " type running that can easily burn up to 650 cal per hour ... LiveStrong.com has a lot of info on swimming exercises and burns. I didn't trust my HRM originally ... thinking that is way over calculated ... but then I checked three different websites ... all coming close within 40 cal difference.

Also ... when I started my journey ... my first 9 months were in a pool doing water aerobics and water jogging. I swam 5 days a week for 2 hours a day ... I lost over 70lbs doing this ... along with healthy eating habits.

Swimming is such a good source of exercise ... it is easy on your joints, anybody can do it ... and the water provides a calmness that is good for your soul.

Exercise should be enjoyable .... if you love the water ... you can most definitely burn calories swimming ! Just look at the bodies of professional swimmers ! Enough said ...

:flowerforyou:
  • Misty_Rage
    Misty_Rage Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ~ I just got out of my pool and burned over 700 calories ( HRM verified ) ... I do a " Sprint " type running that can easily burn up to 650 cal per hour ...

:flowerforyou:

Im doing this too, I am only doing 30 min of the sprint running, and about 20 min of laps at this point but it gets my heart rate going for sure. Its amazing that I can feel like a beautiful sprinter in the pool =)
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options

This is very true. Get a heart rate monitor, OP. I wear one in the gym and in the pool - you get an accurate reading. Swimming DOESN'T burn mega calories and MFP really DOES overestimate it. I swam only yesterday and my calorie burn for 80 mins (slowly) was about 270 calories. MFP calculated it at over 1500.

were you swimming laps or just playing around? I used to be on the swim team back in the day if you swim laps or use kickboards etc you can burn tons of calories
  • CookieCrumble
    Options

were you swimming laps or just playing around? I used to be on the swim team back in the day if you swim laps or use kickboards etc you can burn tons of calories

Swimming laps, but I'm not a fast swimmer and it was breast stroke. I use the pool after a workout so it's really a cooldown and to help my muscles. What I'm saying is that there are probably quite a few people who also do not swim with great intensity and are inputting the figures into MFP and getting a misleading reading. I know that intensive swimming is a great calorie burn - but for 'gentle swimmers', not so much.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    One of the guys I work with has about 8% BF... he lifts weights constantly, but maintains that his best workout, the one that drains him the most but is how he lost all of his weight, was through swimming. It's a low/no impact exercise that is pretty close to a full body workout.

If you're not an experienced swimmer, you won't have the technique/stamina to do it for very long (this is the point I'm at, and the point my coworker WAS at), but as you continue, you will get better, be able to go longer/faster, and burn a LOT of calories.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I swim as well - usually as a supplement to other cardio, but there is nothing like it for using muscles that don't get used in other activity. I am never in better shape (especially upper body) than when I am swimming.

I use a hrm - today I burned 175 calories in 30 minutes. I am not sprinting - I am working but also stretching out my muscles from the run that preceded the swim. I typically burn 550-600 running in an hour, so I definitely am not getting the same calorie burn swimming. But, it is good for my muscles, my stamina, and my mental well-being!

Swimming is fabulous exercise. Go for it!
  • CookieCrumble
    Options
    I swim as well - usually as a supplement to other cardio, but there is nothing like it for using muscles that don't get used in other activity. I am never in better shape (especially upper body) than when I am swimming.

I use a hrm - today I burned 175 calories in 30 minutes. I am not sprinting - I am working but also stretching out my muscles from the run that preceded the swim. I typically burn 550-600 running in an hour, so I definitely am not getting the same calorie burn swimming. But, it is good for my muscles, my stamina, and my mental well-being!

Swimming is fabulous exercise. Go for it!

I burn about the same if I speed up a little. It is a wonderful exercise, I love it too.
  • erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    I loved this Topic. Excellent info. I m considering join a gym next to my house that have a pool. I love swimming!