Bottled water V Tap water

Options
2»

Replies

• zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I drink tap water at home and try to remember to fill up my reusable water bottle with ice water before I go out but I don't always remember. If I get thirsty when I'm out I'll get a bottle of water to avoid the temptation to get a soda or something through a drive through!
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, and where I live the tap water is great. If I were to ever buy a bottle of water, I'd by own brand spring water and not overpriced brands
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I drink bottled water and use store bought ice at work. The building is old and the water is sort of brownish. If I could remember, I would just bring the stuff from home.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I drink tap water, but I've also never had my tap water coming from a well. Everyone I know who has well water uses a water cooler with the 5 gallon refillable jugs for drinking.

I've lived in apartments where the water quality was questionable...either tasted or looked funny, so for those I had a Brita (or Pur?) pitcher to keep in my fridge.

I don't do bottled water anymore because of the price as well as the environmental impact (on top of the plastic, bottled water is heavy to ship from place to place).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on the bottle and the tap. Some bottled water contains more (a lot more) contaminents than your typical tap water. But tap water varies greatly depending on the city/source. Where I live the tap water is very good. Safer probably than 90% of bottled water. But in a smaller town where a co-worker lives they actually advise people not to drink straight from the tap.

So if you live in my town, you are probably better off with tap. If you live in hers, reach for the bottle.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    For your standard 20oz plastic, recyclable / disposable bottle it takes 1 cup of crude oil to make it.

You want your water in a bottle for the convenience of transport, get a reusable bottle. Nalgene hard plastic (now without bPA) or any stainless water bottle will last nearly forever and you only need to buy one!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    In between bottled and straight tap water there's also filtered tap water. This might give you something closer to the 'bottled water' taste with a lot less waste.

Definitely invest in a reusable bottle like dvisser1 mentioned. I like stainless steel because I feel like it keeps water a tad cooler and it's more durable.

Containers that bottled water comes in are NOT meant to be reused and therefore could contain BPA among other things that will start to leach out over multiple uses. Yes, reusing them cuts out waste, but doing so could be at the expense of safety.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I normally drink tap water. I have re-useable metal bottles that I just fill up.

I only drink bottled water if I'm out and forgot my water or have drank it all. Bottled water is a waste of money for me. Most are just bottled from a cities tap water. Aquafina (I believe) says on it (Bottled from Municiple sources in Peel Region - a city just outside of Toronto). Nestle water is water from the Guelph area in Ontario.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I drink tap water. Cheaper and environmentally friendly. Buy yourself a reusable bottle and save some oil and money: http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Tritan-Mouth-Water-Bottle/dp/B002PLU912/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1338575171&sr=1-2
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Tap water!!!

Reasons why:
    1. Regulations on tap water are more stringent
    2. Most tap water is fluoridated and can help protect your teeth
    3. Millions of plastic bottles will not be headed to the landfill because of you
    4. It's free (well, I'm generalizing, I realize most homeowners pay a water bill of some kind)

Cheap, safe, enviro friendly. What more could you ask for?
  • Irish_Lanie
    Irish_Lanie Posts: 100
    Options
    I use the brita water filters at home and bring my own water with me, etc.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Tap all the way. We are very luck yin that out water comes straight from the water table via borehole and is always freezing cold, clear as a bell and taste of nothing (which is what water shoudl taste of!). If we go away anywhere for the day I fill up a 5 litre bottle and take it with me as I can't stand the taste of ordinary tap water now.

Where we lived before we had plain tap water and I used a Britta filter jug to get rid of the horrible chlorine taste in it - yuk!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Tap water is equal to or better than much of the bottled stuff and there's not plastic bottle to dispose of. I use a reverse osmosis system, mostly just to remove the chlorine taste (a Brita filter would probably do just fine too)
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I drink bottled. Our tap water here tastes terrible, like straight chlorine, so it's bottled or nothing for me.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Tap water!!!

Reasons why:
    1. Regulations on tap water are more stringent
    2. Most tap water is fluoridated and can help protect your teeth
    3. Millions of plastic bottles will not be headed to the landfill because of you
    4. It's free (well, I'm generalizing, I realize most homeowners pay a water bill of some kind)

Cheap, safe, enviro friendly. What more could you ask for?

Agree 100%!!!!!
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    In most areas of the United States, the purity regulations pertaining to tap water are more stringent than those for bottled.

This, you can look it up on the internet.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I drink tap water, but I've also never had my tap water coming from a well. Everyone I know who has well water uses a water cooler with the 5 gallon refillable jugs for drinking.

I've lived in apartments where the water quality was questionable...either tasted or looked funny, so for those I had a Brita (or Pur?) pitcher to keep in my fridge.

I don't do bottled water anymore because of the price as well as the environmental impact (on top of the plastic, bottled water is heavy to ship from place to place).

My grandma has well water (she lives waaaay out in the sticks) and I thought it was the best water I've ever tasted! Can't speak for the filtration but it was good lol
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I read the label of a bottle of Great Value water. The source was the municipal water supply of Plainfield, Indiana. Even when you think you are drinking bottled water, it could be tap water.
  • newyorker87
    Options
    While I agree that tap water is the way to go, sometimes you need/want to take your beverage on the go! That's why I fill my custom water bottle ( http://www.motivators.com/Promotional-SportBottles-Custom-13-344.html ) at the faucet at the beginning of every day. It's a good compromise :).