Whey Protein

Options

Replies

• danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few different protein powders. I chug it in water to up my protein but I hate it. I hate it in milk so it doesn't seem worth it. it is tolerable in my oatmeal and I actually like it in a smoothie.

usually I mix in water or make a smoothie to enjoy.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas. I have hit a weight loss stale mate meaning going no where. I had read so many people were drinking Whey Protein I thought give it a try. I guess I just thought follow the directions and go from there.

Thanks for all the ideas and such. I will get this one down somehow and then try to find another brand. So hard have nothing around us at all. Maybe I had to much water for the amount of protein. I didn't really measure anything but the protein. Will have to experiment.

But love the idea's hope your guys keep them coming. I think the coffee on will be 1st on my list. LOVE MY COFFEE :smile:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    A good morning shake is a scoop or two of whey, 30g oats and a big mug of black coffee thats been allowed to cool a little. Tastes awesome and a good wake me up!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    A good morning shake is a scoop or two of whey, 30g oats and a big mug of black coffee thats been allowed to cool a little. Tastes awesome and a good wake me up!

A question.

I am just trying to lose weight. I don't do enough strength exercise to be thought of as anything I am sure. I am not trying to build mass just lose the lbs and get tone. Will more then one scoop a day effect any of that. I mean will it stop me from any weight loss. I know that drinking protien isn't going to build muscle unless I workout alot with it.

And all I do weight lifting wise is some hand weights that are 6.6 lbs. That is why I always staied away from whey seemed everyone I read drinking it was eith a body builder or looked like one. I am just a small frame average female who wants to drop the lbs and get where I should be weight wise. And try to firm up some along the way so I am not to flabby. Know off subject of whey but any ideas on that last sentence will be happy to hear them as well. I'm still new to all of this.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Over all calories matter. If you are looking to lose weight you need a calorie deficit.

In a basic sense, if you get calories from a whole food (aka chicken breast, beef steak etc) or shake matters not. The shake is for pure convince and can be made and drank anywhere and stored in your boot. I wouldn't recommend the same for food!

Food is just food. Whey protein will not make you big. Think about the process of building muscle - a calorie excess, large amounts of protein and heavy lifting.

Whey will not do this.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    I knew just drinking whey would bulk me up with muscle. I just wanted to make sure I guess that it wouldn't effect my weight loss as long as I staied within a calorie deficit.

I will likely only drink it if it is really low one day. Some days I just am to much on the go to eat unless I want junk which I don't. Now my husband who knows. HOpe he will drink more of it so we can try a different one. He lifts alot in his job so maybe it will help him.

Thanks again everyone for your help. And thanks Matt for you input. We just ordered exercise tube bands of varies strengths so can't wait for them to get here.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it with some Greek yogurt, a banana and a couple of ice cubes in the blender. Good luck!
  • aleham
    aleham Posts: 44
    Options
    Hey! When I was on the 4 Hour Body I drank at least one glass of protein shake with water a day because milk was a big no-no.

Just add honey! Melt the honey in with a small amount of hot water, add your powder and mix it then add the cold water. I found that this made drinking the water and powder much easier. Honey is high in energy and sugar, but it's good for you so long as you don't eat too much of it.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    I use Syntha 6 - strawberry - has a great taste!
  • weightwatchers2
    Options
    I use visalus it's like having cake I can't have whey protein because I am lactose intolerant and this is gluten free and lactose free. Great for diabetics as well and it gives you all the nutrition you need.
  • Maverick60
    Maverick60 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I almost always mix it in milk, it never seems to dissolve right in water.
    Sticking it in the blender with a banana works too.
    You have to drink it fast too as it solidifies quick!
  • Maverick60
    Maverick60 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Nice.
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    NNW with 1% milk. Tried it with water the other day and couldn't drink it all.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The Body Fortress stuff isn't very good tasting, and I always mix mine into a big smoothie.

Try different brands. I like EAS since it's fairly cheap and tastes OK.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    At home I make my shakes with unsweetened almond/coconut milk and a banana. Adds some texture and flavor.

I've used the EAS chocolate, and it tastes pretty good, I know they carry that at target.

Now I use the Optimum Nutrition 100% natural whey in chocolate and vanilla. They are best mixed.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I either put it in milk (but then again I need extra calcium so the cals are worth it) or I add a flavoring, like lemon juice to the water.
    *edit to add* mine seems to mix better in carbonated water then in regular water.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    make a fruit smoothie

make pancakes with it

make power muffins with it

you can put this powder in almost anything
  • Determined24
    Determined24 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use body fortress also.. I mix mine with almond milk vanilla.... Sometimes I make a smoothie with strawberry yogurt, frozen fruit, and sometimes I toss spinach and flax seeds in there you do not taste the spinach all you taste really is the strawberry...I have tried banana in it I didn't like that to much...
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    Where do you guys find your Whey Protein? I am kind of limited in my town as where to go. Though if need to I'll dive the hr to the next town to find something better. Forcing this down for now. I tend not to use all my calories anyways so I have started mixing it with my almond milk that helps some.

Thanks for everyone who has answered.
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    not sure if anyone already mentioned it, but try 1/2 c of almond milk and half a c of water- it makes mine a lot better :)

***just saw you are already using almond milk ;)