Whey Protein

Options

Replies

• wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Try mixing one scoop with 4 tablespoons of plain nonfat greek yogurt.

This. Best way to eat protein powder, IMO.
  • Jadzea42
    Jadzea42 Posts: 20
    Options
    Jay Robb is my go to brand. Taste Great! You can get it on-line or at Healthy food markets. Watch out for all the added ingredients they put in cheaper brands. Look for the whey protein Isolate and a natural sweetener like stevia. Personaly I dont like to mix it with anything but a little water no more than 5 ounces of water per scoop of powder, because I don't need the added calories. You can easily pump in a couple hundred more calories into your whey protein shake trying to make it taste good. To me that kinda defeats the purpose if your trying to lose weight. And who wants a whey protein shake thats full of Artifical sweetners, sugar, and other cheaper forms of protein like soy, milk or egg. Read the labels! In a pinch I will use the Designer whey, at Kmart.
  • fee2dancesing
    Options
    You could try using the protein to make a smoothie. That way, you get a mix of flavors. If you want I can sent you the list that I have, just pm me your email address.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Vanilla... here are a few of my fave recipes:

2c baby spinach
    1 scoop whey
    1T PB2
    1/2 medium banana
    1/2c unsweetened almond milk
    6 cubes of ice
    (about 250 cals)

or

3/4c milk
    1 scoop whey
    1T PB2
    1/2T Jelly fat free sugar free butterscotch pudding mix
    6 cubes of ice
    (about 300 cals)

or

1 mango
    1 scoop whey
    1/2c orange juice
    6 cubes of ice
    (about 250 cals)

BTW, I don't lift weights at all. I'm a runner and I do Insanity workouts at home or HIIT-style classes at my rec centre. Since increasing my protein to 100g+ daily the fat has been falling off me. I'm not building muscle, but I'm maintaining what I have, which is my goal until the end of my race season.
  • SMP151
    SMP151 Posts: 32
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but I get a lot of Whey Protein shake recipes from www.dashingdish.com. A lot of them are good and have a milkshake texture. I'd give some of those a shot. I can't handle them with just water. I love the frozen hot chocolate one and the raspberry lemon one too.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Please don't use skim milk, whole fat milk, plain milk etc with your whey protein. It defeats the purpose of using whey protein to get a high protein source that is low in calories. the extra 150-200 calories from milk is not needed. If your a body building trying to gain mass, sure use milk with your protein, but you're not. So just use water, and yeah, protein isn't supposed to taste the best, so you're just going to get accustomed to the taste =]

WHAT?? lol
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options

I don't mind mild muscle development and toning. I just don't want to bulk up. I am a small frame 5ft 3 in female. I don't think my husband would like me all bulked out. Fit looking is fine, bulked out no. I do some strength training. I need to up the weights somewhat. I have only been using 6.6 lb weight, and it really is getting to easy on some of the things I do. But I have just been doing more reps in place of that right now. I started using the protein because I have a hard time reaching my calories some days and my protein levels that are set for me.

Again things for you postive suggestions: whey protein or other wise.

Glad to hear you aren't neglecting strength training... sorry if I was presumptuous. Whey protein + lifting will not automatically make you "bulk up". Bulking up is really hard. You would only get bulky if you were lifting 100+ pounds four days a week and shrinking your body fat down to 5 %.

I don't know what protein levels have been set for you, but if it is the "default" that MFP gives you, that is a fairly arbitrary number.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    my goals are:

Cals 1507 (my BMR last time I checked)
    Carbs 113
    Fat 50
    Protien 151
    Sodium 2,500
    Chol 300
    And I drink anywhere from 8-10+ glasses of water a day.

My exercise varies depending on things. I don't try to eat back my exercise cal cause I have a hard enough time eating my goal numbers.
  • booksandcupcakes
    Options
    I had this really nice/easy to make protein shake, which I use.
    It's a little expensive but it's so worth it!
    It's literally the best protein shake i've ever tried! Not only is it low calories but it's super filling!!

http://dev.extremeadventurefood.co.uk/diet-whey-2kg-tub-80-servings-choose-from-seven-great-flavours.html

Hope it helps you also!
  • straightjacketjacob
    Options
    Do not use milk. Do not drink those extra calories. Add some cottage cheese and a small amount of fresh fruit to your water.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    Over all calories matter. If you are looking to lose weight you need a calorie deficit.

In a basic sense, if you get calories from a whole food (aka chicken breast, beef steak etc) or shake matters not. The shake is for pure convince and can be made and drank anywhere and stored in your boot. I wouldn't recommend the same for food!

Food is just food. Whey protein will not make you big. Think about the process of building muscle - a calorie excess, large amounts of protein and heavy lifting.

Whey will not do this.

This was a great response, thank you
  • fitchick58
    fitchick58 Posts: 11
    Options
    Mix with milk instead of water, makes a world of difference
  • blacksagephoenix
    blacksagephoenix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can consuming too much protein actually cause you to gain more fat? I am just getting started and am having a hard time getting passed a 10 minute workout due to lack of physical energy and major back problems. I am doing good losing weight on dieting and whatever exercise I get in before it becomes too much. So, would taking extra protein WITHOUT working out cause me to actually gain fat?
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you're from the states, go to www.bodybuilding.com order yourself some optimum nutrition gold standard whey or gaspari myofusion whey protein and give it a go. One of the best tasting proteins on the market.

Agreed. The Optimum Nutrition 'Double Rich Chocolate' tastes like chocolate milk when mixed with milk. I mix mine with skim milk and it doesn't add that many more calories.
  • jettyib1
    jettyib1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    mix it with milk and fruit. Lowfat milk or vanilla almond silk is what I use. I buy mixed frozen fruit. I love it.,
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    How do you get this stuff down and keep it down?

Just got some over the weekend and thought ok I'll give it a try. Mixed 1 scoop (trying to lose weight) in water and mixed. OH MY. I couldn't get the whole glass down.

Good thing my husband said he would help me with it. It is going to be very hard to get this all down. I hate to waste things so I will force myself but it wont be fun.

BTW I got Body Fortress Super Advanced Vanilla the 2 lb container. We don't have anything but Wal-Mart around us. And I didn't want to send off for something and then really hate it. Good thing.

Please need idea's how to get this down and keep it down.

Ifs funny how our taste buds are different... I love Fortress Super whey protein ... especially the vanilla and frosty chocolate flavors... but I drinking it with milk is much better then water.... and adding fruit to the vanilla is just fantastic. I blend mine in a magicbullet blender.. so its nice and smooth.

SilMarillion.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I use fat free milk. Taste like chocolate milk =D
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try getting more protein myself. I make myself smoothies with yogurt, fresh fruit, and soy milk. Would protein powder work well in this? I was thinking a banana with chocolate might be good or vanilla with mango or strawberry. Any thoughts?
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Can consuming too much protein actually cause you to gain more fat?
    If you eat so much protein as to cause a sustained calorie surplus, yes.
    I am just getting started and am having a hard time getting passed a 10 minute workout due to lack of physical energy and major back problems. I am doing good losing weight on dieting and whatever exercise I get in before it becomes too much. So, would taking extra protein WITHOUT working out cause me to actually gain fat?
    No, if you maintain a deficit. I've been using a protein powder for years, and most of my weight loss was without working out. It just makes hitting your minimum protein requirements a bit easier.
  • blacksagephoenix
    blacksagephoenix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can consuming too much protein actually cause you to gain more fat?
    If you eat so much protein as to cause a sustained calorie surplus, yes.
    I am just getting started and am having a hard time getting passed a 10 minute workout due to lack of physical energy and major back problems. I am doing good losing weight on dieting and whatever exercise I get in before it becomes too much. So, would taking extra protein WITHOUT working out cause me to actually gain fat?
    No, if you maintain a deficit. I've been using a protein powder for years, and most of my weight loss was without working out. It just makes hitting your minimum protein requirements a bit easier.

Thanks!! :)