Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Couch to 5k

Replies

• b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Hey I am about the same size 12/14 and I have been doing the C25k thing for 3 weeks. This is actually going to be Week 3 day 2 for me. It gets hard especially the third week for me because you have to run for 3 mins but I pace my self. I don't run as fast as I can and lose my breath. I actually jog at a slower pace to maintain endurance. Just keep going when your tired the reward of finishing for a day far outweighs the pain.
  • madziorek
    madziorek Posts: 17 Member
    Today I've done 2nd run in week 7.
    It is doable:wink: The first weeks are so easy that even if you are not fit at all you will be able to do that.:happy:
    I skipped first 2 weeks as they were simply too easy.
    Now I reccommend it to everyone!!!

What motivates me even more is Nike+ fitness app on my ipod which after every workout you can upload it on your account and track your progress: duration, calories burned, pace, distance.

My advise is: just have fun with it!!!
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    I have been doing C25K for a while.. I keep having to start over for various reasons.. I'm on week 3 again. :) I hope to complete it in time to get me through the Giants Race (5k) in Sept.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 862 Member
    finished it, and am finally into size 16 (uk) :) was somewhere around 18 or possibly 20 when I started.. but I have an annoying pear shape so pants are always rather big *grumble* - for me, it was important to work on strengthening the knee and the leg muscles in general.. and stretching after it!

starting it again with a friend to work up speed.
  • Reneece_pr
    Reneece_pr Posts: 16 Member
    Me and my friend re-started ours today after a lack of motivation :o It is really really really good. When you think about running, you think ughh :/ but you get lots of breaks:) and It starts of softly with you:) and I found that after a few days your stamina improves and its much easier to run:) Its really amazing, lets hope both you and I make it to the end;) x
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    I'm finishing week 8 this week, and I'm a size 14/16 right now. It can be done :)
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I am currently a size 18. And I am on week 5 day 2 this evening.
    I repeated week 4 three times before I tried week 5 because I was still having problems with week 4. But finally took the plunge and did week 5 day 1 wednesday and it was easier than week 4, IMO.
    Either way it's a great program and you got this! Good luck!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Buy an Enell Sports Bra. They aren't cheap or cute but they are effective. I'm a 36D but I started at a 40DDD and they work AWESOME!

I couldn't run right when I started here (242lbs) but I do run now and I'm about 170lbs 5'7" and a 12ish size. Having good shoes is SUPER important so find a good running store and get fitted.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Finished the C2 5K program a few weeks ago and just started the Bridge to 10k. My advice would to be to start out slow, if on the treadmill I would do a 4.5 at no incline for the first few weeks, then listen to your body. It will let you know when it is ready to go faster.
    I was doing my program at 4.9 and 5.0 and getting easily winded. So I have backed it back down to 4.7 or 4.8 with intervals of 5.0-5.5 just to help train myself to go faster for longer amounts of time. I was almost 240 when I started and I am almost under 200 now. Good Luck!!!!

^^^This!!

I too, started out trying to run at 5 or even higher and kept getting super winded - to the point where I quit the program right around week four because I just could run for that long. This past week I decided just to try running as far as I could, but this time kept the speed at 4.5 and was able to run a FULL MILE :bigsmile: without stopping to walk. Duh. Don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. First go for distance and build up your endurance, then worry about your time/speed. :drinker:
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    I started to run this week.

I downloaded a c25k podcast but thought I would just jump in.

Wednesday I managed 2 miles, a walk for 0.3 miles and a fast run for the final 0.7 miles.

Today I just ran for a full 35mins with a 3min warm up and warm down walk either side but this was at a slower pace. My legs are now very sore. It's funny how it hurts but feels good at the same time.

I think I will stick to this for the next couple of weeks rather than go for the organised program.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Start week 3day 1 tonight and am like :noway:

Never been a runner, not even as a kid. I have until February next year to build up to 7k so I'm not stressing if I have to repeat a few days/weeks.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    I have been thinking on and off about starting. I am starting on Monday as well.. After I go and get me some new running shoes!
  • I am starting Couch to 5K today. Just wondering if you guys do anything besides the program to work out in the beginning?...Today I am just supposed to walk 10 minutes and jog 2 minutes and that doesn't seem like enough exercise for the whole day. Suggestions?
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    I started C25K last May. I was a size 14. I actually found it easier on my knees once I completed the interval weeks. The starting and stopping did a number on them. So I made sure to ice them every morning while I ate breakfast (I work out before work), and then again before bedtime. Aleve as needed. And I take glucosamine with MSM, and that seems to help.

I ran my first 5K in November, and my second race last week. And I am a size 6.

I didn't do anything else with C25K, mainly because I didn't want to overdo it with my knees. So I just ran. In January, I added in some workout DVDs for strength training and toning.
  • I finished about a month ago. I recommend good shoes, I started with the same old shoes I had for about a year and my knees and shins were killing me. Picked up some Saucony's for about $50 and the change was night and day!

Also if you have a Iphone or andriod phone there are lots of FREE apps that are great. I used active.com's app. It works great and is free.

The first 2 weeks are the hardest but when you turn the corner it feels great.

Feel free to add me.
  • That is what I thought also, Its all about easing you into the routine. I finished about a month ago and in the beginning I could barely run a quarter mile before my lungs started to explode. There are a few free smartphone apps that make it easier. I used the one for Iphone from active.com.

feel free to add me
  • amyliz0226
    amyliz0226 Posts: 37
    I am starting tomorrow! I am a size 14, weigh 166 currently. I can't wait to get started on this! Good luck!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Today I've done 2nd run in week 7.
    It is doable:wink: The first weeks are so easy that even if you are not fit at all you will be able to do that.:happy:
    I skipped first 2 weeks as they were simply too easy.
    Now I reccommend it to everyone!!!

What motivates me even more is Nike+ fitness app on my ipod which after every workout you can upload it on your account and track your progress: duration, calories burned, pace, distance.

My advise is: just have fun with it!!!

I found the first two weeks to be the hardest for me!! Its still difficult now but a different kind of difficult. I think I had to re-wire my brain or something.
  • soontobesam
    Start week 3day 1 tonight and am like :noway:

Never been a runner, not even as a kid. I have until February next year to build up to 7k so I'm not stressing if I have to repeat a few days/weeks.

hehe this is precisely how I felt
  • soontobesam
    I am starting Couch to 5K today. Just wondering if you guys do anything besides the program to work out in the beginning?...Today I am just supposed to walk 10 minutes and jog 2 minutes and that doesn't seem like enough exercise for the whole day. Suggestions?

Before i started doing the program I was doing two laps around a park near my house - a little over 4.5 miles. When I started doing the program I would do one lap that was C25K and then a walking lap.