Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hey I am about the same size 12/14 and I have been doing the C25k thing for 3 weeks. This is actually going to be Week 3 day 2 for me. It gets hard especially the third week for me because you have to run for 3 mins but I pace my self. I don't run as fast as I can and lose my breath. I actually jog at a slower pace to maintain endurance. Just keep going when your tired the reward of finishing for a day far outweighs the pain.
  • madziorek
    madziorek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Today I've done 2nd run in week 7.
    It is doable:wink: The first weeks are so easy that even if you are not fit at all you will be able to do that.:happy:
    I skipped first 2 weeks as they were simply too easy.
    Now I reccommend it to everyone!!!

What motivates me even more is Nike+ fitness app on my ipod which after every workout you can upload it on your account and track your progress: duration, calories burned, pace, distance.

My advise is: just have fun with it!!!
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have been doing C25K for a while.. I keep having to start over for various reasons.. I'm on week 3 again. :) I hope to complete it in time to get me through the Giants Race (5k) in Sept.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    finished it, and am finally into size 16 (uk) :) was somewhere around 18 or possibly 20 when I started.. but I have an annoying pear shape so pants are always rather big *grumble* - for me, it was important to work on strengthening the knee and the leg muscles in general.. and stretching after it!

starting it again with a friend to work up speed.
  • Reneece_pr
    Reneece_pr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Me and my friend re-started ours today after a lack of motivation :o It is really really really good. When you think about running, you think ughh :/ but you get lots of breaks:) and It starts of softly with you:) and I found that after a few days your stamina improves and its much easier to run:) Its really amazing, lets hope both you and I make it to the end;) x
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing week 8 this week, and I'm a size 14/16 right now. It can be done :)
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I am currently a size 18. And I am on week 5 day 2 this evening.
    I repeated week 4 three times before I tried week 5 because I was still having problems with week 4. But finally took the plunge and did week 5 day 1 wednesday and it was easier than week 4, IMO.
    Either way it's a great program and you got this! Good luck!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Buy an Enell Sports Bra. They aren't cheap or cute but they are effective. I'm a 36D but I started at a 40DDD and they work AWESOME!

I couldn't run right when I started here (242lbs) but I do run now and I'm about 170lbs 5'7" and a 12ish size. Having good shoes is SUPER important so find a good running store and get fitted.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Finished the C2 5K program a few weeks ago and just started the Bridge to 10k. My advice would to be to start out slow, if on the treadmill I would do a 4.5 at no incline for the first few weeks, then listen to your body. It will let you know when it is ready to go faster.
    I was doing my program at 4.9 and 5.0 and getting easily winded. So I have backed it back down to 4.7 or 4.8 with intervals of 5.0-5.5 just to help train myself to go faster for longer amounts of time. I was almost 240 when I started and I am almost under 200 now. Good Luck!!!!

^^^This!!

I too, started out trying to run at 5 or even higher and kept getting super winded - to the point where I quit the program right around week four because I just could run for that long. This past week I decided just to try running as far as I could, but this time kept the speed at 4.5 and was able to run a FULL MILE :bigsmile: without stopping to walk. Duh. Don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. First go for distance and build up your endurance, then worry about your time/speed. :drinker:
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I started to run this week.

I downloaded a c25k podcast but thought I would just jump in.

Wednesday I managed 2 miles, a walk for 0.3 miles and a fast run for the final 0.7 miles.

Today I just ran for a full 35mins with a 3min warm up and warm down walk either side but this was at a slower pace. My legs are now very sore. It's funny how it hurts but feels good at the same time.

I think I will stick to this for the next couple of weeks rather than go for the organised program.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Start week 3day 1 tonight and am like :noway:

Never been a runner, not even as a kid. I have until February next year to build up to 7k so I'm not stressing if I have to repeat a few days/weeks.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking on and off about starting. I am starting on Monday as well.. After I go and get me some new running shoes!
  • kaylasue_mustlose
    Options
    I am starting Couch to 5K today. Just wondering if you guys do anything besides the program to work out in the beginning?...Today I am just supposed to walk 10 minutes and jog 2 minutes and that doesn't seem like enough exercise for the whole day. Suggestions?
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last May. I was a size 14. I actually found it easier on my knees once I completed the interval weeks. The starting and stopping did a number on them. So I made sure to ice them every morning while I ate breakfast (I work out before work), and then again before bedtime. Aleve as needed. And I take glucosamine with MSM, and that seems to help.

I ran my first 5K in November, and my second race last week. And I am a size 6.

I didn't do anything else with C25K, mainly because I didn't want to overdo it with my knees. So I just ran. In January, I added in some workout DVDs for strength training and toning.
  • TerryWiggs
    Options
    I finished about a month ago. I recommend good shoes, I started with the same old shoes I had for about a year and my knees and shins were killing me. Picked up some Saucony's for about $50 and the change was night and day!

Also if you have a Iphone or andriod phone there are lots of FREE apps that are great. I used active.com's app. It works great and is free.

The first 2 weeks are the hardest but when you turn the corner it feels great.

Feel free to add me.
  • TerryWiggs
    Options
    That is what I thought also, Its all about easing you into the routine. I finished about a month ago and in the beginning I could barely run a quarter mile before my lungs started to explode. There are a few free smartphone apps that make it easier. I used the one for Iphone from active.com.

feel free to add me
  • amyliz0226
    amyliz0226 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am starting tomorrow! I am a size 14, weigh 166 currently. I can't wait to get started on this! Good luck!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Today I've done 2nd run in week 7.
    It is doable:wink: The first weeks are so easy that even if you are not fit at all you will be able to do that.:happy:
    I skipped first 2 weeks as they were simply too easy.
    Now I reccommend it to everyone!!!

What motivates me even more is Nike+ fitness app on my ipod which after every workout you can upload it on your account and track your progress: duration, calories burned, pace, distance.

My advise is: just have fun with it!!!

I found the first two weeks to be the hardest for me!! Its still difficult now but a different kind of difficult. I think I had to re-wire my brain or something.
  • soontobesam
    Options
    Start week 3day 1 tonight and am like :noway:

Never been a runner, not even as a kid. I have until February next year to build up to 7k so I'm not stressing if I have to repeat a few days/weeks.

hehe this is precisely how I felt
  • soontobesam
    Options
    I am starting Couch to 5K today. Just wondering if you guys do anything besides the program to work out in the beginning?...Today I am just supposed to walk 10 minutes and jog 2 minutes and that doesn't seem like enough exercise for the whole day. Suggestions?

Before i started doing the program I was doing two laps around a park near my house - a little over 4.5 miles. When I started doing the program I would do one lap that was C25K and then a walking lap.