intermittent fasting..thinking about it

Options
ok so i want to do the 24 hr once a week fasting. drinking as much water as i can that day. meaning get and don't eat til i get up the next day. and do that on my rest day obviously....i currently don't do any lifting as i don't have my weights nor can i afford to buy more or go to a gym. so i do mostly cardio. a few strenghtening excercises for my core...and some yoga. but mostly i dance/walk/jog. so i'm wondering if it will work for my. and for my non fasting days will eating between the bmr and tdee still work? any info would be great.

Replies

• johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    DONT
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    What's your reason for fasting?

I don't believe it creates any faster weight loss.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. I don't thnk its going to make u lose any faster.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    ok so i want to do the 24 hr once a week fasting. drinking as much water as i can that day. meaning get and don't eat til i get up the next day. and do that on my rest day obviously....i currently don't do any lifting as i don't have my weights nor can i afford to buy more or go to a gym. so i do mostly cardio. a few strenghtening excercises for my core...and some yoga. but mostly i dance/walk/jog. so i'm wondering if it will work for my. and for my non fasting days will eating between the bmr and tdee still work? any info would be great.

That sounds like ESE, a 24hr fast once a week. People get good results with that method. So yes you should do it. Would it make you lose weight any faster?? I don't know. For health benefits, do it.

I do ESE maybe once or twice a month.. Puts a nice dent into your caloric average deficit.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I love it. Even maintaining, I use it. It's an effective method of calorie cycling and it's fantastic to let you learn your body's triggers for actual hunger and for boredom eating.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I also say DO IT - I can't because I have no self control but I know it has good spirtual as well as health benefits.

Good luck - it'll be a tough 24 hours.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,133 Member
    Options
    I have done Eat Stop Eat for more than a year. It is great for me. I would suggest that it is worth the money to purchase the e-book and read through it. It will give you the information that will help you understand intermittent fasting much better.

To those who say don't do it, my question is why? What are your reasons to have that as a blanket response. Have you researched intermittent fasting at all? Do you even know what it is? If not then perhaps you should before you make your response.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do IF everyday and get all my calories from 1 pm to 8pm. It work for my lifestyle. It is not a way to cut your calories.... I still eat 1700 calories a day but in a shorter window.

If you fast for a day make sure you distribute the calories you do not eat to other days.

Good luck
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying 'I don't think'...please, do...it's harmful to yourself and others when you don't.

Back to topic...IF is great...and the benefits are real. I've yet to see someone who actually tried it NOT have excellent results. As an example...I have a friend who is an RN. I sent her my copy of Eat, Stop, Eat. She was somewhat critical...but ended up giving it a try. Her first week she lost an inch on her hips, half on her waist, and has maintained lean mass by her calculations. This was her greatest loss in months. My inbox has been full of bubbly messages all day.

Which makes me smile lol.

It works. It's healthy. I've been doing it for a year...and I love it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ Be sure to check out this site for alternative I.F. methods.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying 'I don't think'...please, do...it's harmful to yourself and others when you don't.

I didn't say no, or I don't think.... how is it harmful to them and others? if they eat or not?
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I didn't say no, or I don't think.... how is it harmful to them and others? if they eat or not?

Umm...it's harmful to yourself and others when you don't think.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Umm...it's harmful to yourself and others when you don't think.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    IF is the best thing to have happened to me regarding Diet and lifestyle, any doubters should, should check out
    http://www.leangains.com/
    Or check out my transformation pics, in my profile :smile:
  • crisanderson27
    Options

^ Be sure to check out this site for alternative I.F. methods.

Agreed!

I do have to say I have my best weight/fat loss results with ESE. Once I get back down to the bodyfat want...I'll go back to leangains. I still kind of mix them though...as I only eat after roughly 4pm even on my non-fast days.
  • scagneti
    Options

Back to topic...IF is great...and the benefits are real. I've yet to see someone who actually tried it NOT have excellent results. As an example...I have a friend who is an RN. I sent her my copy of Eat, Stop, Eat. She was somewhat critical...but ended up giving it a try. Her first week she lost an inch on her hips, half on her waist, and has maintained lean mass by her calculations. This was her greatest loss in months. My inbox has been full of bubbly messages all day.

Which makes me smile lol.

It works. It's healthy. I've been doing it for a year...and I love it.

I was one of those "ZOMG -- NO DON'T DO IT! YOU'LL STARVE AND YOUR METABOLISM WILL STOP!!!" when I had no information about it. So glad I didn't listen to myself!

I hated eating every 3-4 hours. It drove me nuts and I was constantly hungry and thinking only about food all day long. Basically while I was still consuming a previous meal, I'd be planning other meals. So I did some research and it made a lot of sense for me. I get to sleep in instead of preparing 4 meals, I only prepare 1. Now I know I eat at noon, or if I do a 24 fast once in a while, I eat at 6pm and can sleep in super late cause no making lunch! And, best of all, I can eat a real meal at lunch and dinner if I have plans and not have to try to stick within 300 calories.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    thanx guys....that helped a bunch....do i really need to eat the calories i miss for a day or is it gonna hurt? i want to make sure i do it right.
  • scagneti
    Options
    thanx guys....that helped a bunch....do i really need to eat the calories i miss for a day or is it gonna hurt? i want to make sure i do it right.

I didn't find that the 24 hour fast ever really "hurt". First time was weird, because I had just stopped the "eat every few hours" mindset, but I was fine. I'd usually do it after a real bender -- like the day after an all-you-can-eat buffet, so I had already consumed most of the next day's calories the day before anyways.

I always avoid cardio (other than my fast walking to and from work), and just lift weights on a fast day, mainly because cardio makes me hungry. :happy: