Great Tasting and Good For You Carbs???

Options
ladyace15
ladyace15 Posts: 88 Member
Is there even such a thing as great tasting and good for you in the card department? My downfall is bread, all types of bread:sad: ! I know that the whole wheat is supposed to be my best friend, but can any of you recommend another type of bread with flavor, but doesn't spike my caloric count? I'm all eyes and ears on this one :happy:

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I love the blueberry streusel bread I've been having lately (cite today's breakfast). Whole wheat would probably have more fiber and protein, but 120 cal/slice isn't bad.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Whole wheat or any kind of wheat is bad for you. So ditch the grains and eat your veggies, they are the your best friends.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat or any kind of wheat is bad for you.

Stop making things up.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Village Hearth makes a 12 grain bread that tastes good AND is reasonable in calories.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bread was my weakness also. I could eat a loaf plain. Anyways I went low carb and thought I would miss it but I havent and I lost 15 pounds this month. Think about it, if you really cant give it up there are lots of recipes online for low carb breads, or you can buy them online
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Duck fat fries/roasted potatoes are pretty good
  • ladyace15
    Options
    Thank you all! I really need to do some more searching online for these specialty breads (looking forward to it). BTW that blueberry sounds awesome! I also need to try the 12 grain, just something to satisfy my bread cravings, but not so bad that I've blown a whole meal worth of eating. P.S. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that whole wheat bread is bad for you, honey wheat maybe, but I will do some research on it! Thanks everyone
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    There is a ton of research about how grains are bad for you. I didn't make it up, do some research.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of research about how grains are bad for you. I didn't make it up, do some research.

Ok, so I actually haven't done the research, but I just wanted to point out that generally there's a difference between lots of "research" being done and the validity of the conclusion.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I have, and the research supporting your assertion is far outweighed be the research that shows the opposite. Stop cherry-picking.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat or any kind of wheat is bad for you. So ditch the grains and eat your veggies, they are the your best friends.

Bread isn't bad for everyone, it may not suit some people but it is no problem for me.
    I love grainy breads like Cape Seed or 12 Grain or my new favourite, Wholegrain Quinoa and Flaxseed. They aren't low in calories (around 100 cals per slice) but they give me energy and nutrition so I'm happy with that.

Breakfast yesterday was one slice of grainy bread, one poached egg, one slice of reduced fat free cheese, half an orange and half a gold kiwi fruit - 316 cals of goodness that kept me satisfied for ages.

I agree that veggies are great though, and so is fruit. Aussie guidelines suggest 5 veg and 2 fruit a day which I think is a great goal.

Other carbs that I like - pasta (any kind, 1/2 - 1 cup serve and I eat it with veggie based sauces, not creamy ones), brown rice, porridge (oatmeal), polenta..... I could go on!
    The carbs I try to avoid (or eat in moderation) are the ones that are more processed and/or less nutritious - like lollies, chocolate, cakes, etc.

I know there is a strong bias towards low-carbs these days, but my opinion is at unless you have a diagnosed medical need to avoid them, you are making life much harder for yourself than it needs to be.
  • ladyace15
    Options
    Well I will try my hardest to get down to the knitty gritty, lol Either way, I know that you all are just trying to help, so any positive feedback is good enough for me :-) Thanks and if anyone gets to the conclusion before me, please share the wealth :happy:
  • AmandaDawesno2
    Options
    if someone is use to eating bread completley illiminating it is just dumb! they would deprive themselves and more likly binge eat, this was a question about bread not fruit and veg there is no such thing as BAD food, just bad choices! you can eat any food in small amounts! lets be positive and help this MFP newbiee
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Wheat Belly was a huge eye opener for me. Glad someone finally wrote a book explaining why wheat is NOT appropriate for our genetic make-up.

And when the grain companies & farmers are heavily subsidized by the government, who is the one giving out research grants, it's not hard to understand why there are few researchers willing to provide unbiased information.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like the Nature's Own 40 calorie per slice honey wheat bread. I also love the Thomas's light english muffins @ 100 calories each. Both of them are great sources of fiber. I eat an english muffin almost daily. It has 8 grams of fiber which is awesome!!!
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Quinoa - I tried it for the first time today. Definitely has earned a spot in my diet.

ETA: Not that this is bread, but it's a tasty carb w/ protein. :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've been eating low carb/high fiber tortillas just about every morning. They have like 19 carbs, 9 fiber in each one. I make mine into a breakfast burrito with 2 scrambled eggs and 4 slices of soy bacon.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own whole wheat is 50 cals a slice
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I like the Nature's Own 40 calorie per slice honey wheat bread. I also love the Thomas's light english muffins @ 100 calories each. Both of them are great sources of fiber. I eat an english muffin almost daily. It has 8 grams of fiber which is awesome!!!

Both of those are really good!
  • mnmgrammy76
    Options
    Dark Rye (Pumpernickel) works for me. It has a hearty taste and is very good toasted. 60 calories and 12 carbs per slice.