So who all is from the great state of TEXAS??

Options
cmay89
cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
I need some friends who can sympathize with the brutality of the heat and working out in it :)

I'm stuck way up in Lubbock these days, but am a native Houstonian... How about y'all?

Replies

• ployjoy
    ployjoy Posts: 45
    Options
    Howdy!

I've lived in Lubbock, Dallas, Houston and Austin. I'm currently in Houston. Working out in this heat is atrocious. I don't have access to a gym currently so I'm focused on doing outdoor workouts. I wake up at 6:30 just so I can beat the heat (and even then the heat still tends to whoop my butt in the end). It's been nice lately. Wish it would rain a bit though..
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hey. I live in Houston. Sometimes on the weekends, if I wake up early enough, I walk/jog outside. Otherwise, the only heat I endure during my work out is walking from the parking garage to the gym after work. I got lucky tonight. The stationary bike where I chose to do my cardio was right under the ac vent. Heaven!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Hi from Dallas!
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options
    I live in Houston. Used to live in Big D. Hot and humid is worse than just hot. :)
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Stinky hot heat... Yep. Houston here, trying to will myself to get out the door this morning for a long bike ride before it gets too ridiculously hot.
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I lived in La Porte for a few years, but I'm back in Denton again.
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    Hi im from san antonio home of the * SPURS
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I live in Houston, formerly from Canada so the heat has been a huge adjustment. I've been walking/running outside in the afternoons but starting next week I'm going to get out early, like 6 am to try and beat it.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    Me!! : D

But, only until the end of this year... Then, I'm moving to the East Coast to be with My BF...

: ))
  • pgmorgan
    pgmorgan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello,, I'm in Houston also, I was walking at the park every day but the heat is coming on faster then I wanted. So now its off to the gym. Its bad enough trying to lose weight don't want to suffer with the added heat.
  • rgm66
    rgm66 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi from Needville
  • MamaTex
    MamaTex Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    D/FW here. Love this great state. Lived here 40 years. Hate the heat though. I'm sticking to early morning because I hate the gym and with 3 kids find it hard to exercise any other time.
    Thank goodness we had a pool put in last summer! I'm hoping it will motivate me to be more active.
  • JohnRalfeo
    JohnRalfeo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Houston (Clear Lake) right here!
  • gcr2012
    gcr2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    North of Dallas...really appreciate my gym membership as it starts heating up!
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Austin Texas checking in.
  • taglientep
    taglientep Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sorry don't want to sound like I have an attitude or a jerk just really curious whats so great about Texas? I admit i haven't been there yet so no judgement is being passed I want to visit one day, (someone tell me where to start)

But what is the greatness?
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Austin, been out here for 3 years. I just work out inside my house right now. If I want the heat, I'll go for a walk. ;P
  • Ashley870910
    Options
    Mckinney here!!
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Lived in Grand Prarie (sub of Dallas) for 20 years and then moved to VA. The heat in Texas kept us from doing anything outside. Don't miss the heat or traffic. But really really miss the TexMex food. When I did live there I had to do my walking very earlly in the morning. Gym is the only other option. Maybe a cheaper otion like the Y or a rec center.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Never ask a person where they're from. If they're from Texas, they'll tell you. If not, don't embarrass them.

To answer your question: People are just proud of Texas. Not all, mind you, but most. How? I don't know, probably because we can secede from America and still survive. Maybe because of the Alamo. Maybe because we have an independent power grid. Maybe it's because we have the best BBQ in the nation and 3 of them sit right in Lockhart.

Perhaps it's because of all the beautiful women. Maybe because of the diversity of the state as a whole. Could be because of the schools (Tech, UT, A&M, Baylor, etc...)

Maybe it's because people are just proud to be Texans.