intermittent fasting..thinking about it

Options
12346»

Replies

• sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    i don't agree with the idea of fasting, and neither does my doctor. You need to eat food. Your body requires it. There is a reason why your stomach starts to hurt and grumble after mere hours of not eating. :grumble:
    Rubbish some peoples stomachs grumble every 30mins to an hour, does that mean they need feeding or something bad going to happen?
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    DONT

yeh... please dont do it. especially if you have obese body fat levels dont even consider it. just learn to eat sensibly and count calories and macros.
    Really? and why is intermittent fasting so bad if your obese, this interests me?
    Feel free to rip into me :wink:

i was wondering the same thing....and i have been counting calories and eating right....i just want to try something different....
    you want to rely on something that you know you can stick with (ie. regular* eating patterns...) for someone who is just trying to get down to a normal bodyweight there is no reason to try different gimmicks, diets, supplements, tricks, etc. whether they work or not... if i were you i would establish that i know how to administer self control then if you can get urself down to an acceptable bodyweight then go from there if you choose to do intermittent fasting.

people try to overcomplicate things when it comes to getting in shape, simplicity leads to success.
    I see what you are saying it would appear to be sensible advice , but totality disagree!

If is like having a cheat meal everyday how can that be bad eating 1500 cals in one meal is a hell of a meal
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i don't agree with the idea of fasting, and neither does my doctor. You need to eat food. Your body requires it. There is a reason why your stomach starts to hurt and grumble after mere hours of not eating. :grumble:
    Rubbish some peoples stomachs grumble every 30mins to an hour, does that mean they need feeding or something bad going to happen?

Exactly!! What's wrong with feeling hungry sometimes? It's the NOT feeling hungry ever that made us all get fat in the first place!!
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I do IF everyday and get all my calories from 1 pm to 8pm. It work for my lifestyle. It is not a way to cut your calories.... I still eat 1700 calories a day but in a shorter window.

If you fast for a day make sure you distribute the calories you do not eat to other days.

Good luck

I too have recently taken up daily intermittent fasting. I'm still eating 1600 calories/day but between 12pm and 8pm. I have been feeling great since I started. The 1.5 to 2 pounds per week has been a constant. I was surprised how quickly my body adjusted. I don't begin to feel hungry until 11:45am or so. Right before it's time for me to eat. I would suggest anyone to at least try it...providing you don't have any diabetic issues.
  • virjenmarie
    virjenmarie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The links on this thread have been pretty interesting, enough that I want to try it. Mostly because I struggle with eating when not hungry (even when I know I'm not hungry), so I'm hoping a fasting method will help me get better self control.

It sounds like it works for a lot of people, enough so that it's worth a try to see if it works for me. The 16/8 seems a pretty common one, and it seems like it'd work for my school life and work life (away from 530am until 1030pm most days, with only short breaks). :D
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Bump, interesting reading...
  • TheLittleKittie
    Options
    I researched hard before I did my first fast. There is 'evidence' for and against if you look long enough to find it. I found the legnthy fasts too tough and felt my body was reacting to preser wwwve me HOWEVER a short fast really helps my system and mentally it is useful. I also worried about starvation mode but found that the body does not enter this process fully until 72 hours in, don't get me wrong changes happen in that first 24 hours but it doesnt affect your brain etc as a rule until 48 hours, and the first 24 uses up your free calorie stores such as starts breaking down fat reserves, this didn't sound like a bad thing. For m- this,e I will use lemon water and herbal teas
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I researched hard before I did my first fast. There is 'evidence' for and against if you look long enough to find it. I found the legnthy fasts too tough and felt my body was reacting to preser wwwve me HOWEVER a short fast really helps my system and mentally it is useful. I also worried about starvation mode but found that the body does not enter this process fully until 72 hours in, don't get me wrong changes happen in that first 24 hours but it doesnt affect your brain etc as a rule until 48 hours, and the first 24 uses up your free calorie stores such as starts breaking down fat reserves, this didn't sound like a bad thing. For m- this,e I will use lemon water and herbal teas

same here i don't think i will ever do a lengthy one. i'm gona start off w just the one 24 hr one then maybe later on down the road i will try the two a week. see which one works better for me. :)
  • deejaylobo
    Options
    I have been on MFP for about 3-4 weeks and I'm going pretty good at sticking to my calorie goals. I came across IF and I really think that the 16/8 fast is something I could do. My only concern is the lack of real exercise at the moment. It's a lot harder for me to get to the gym than it is to go without eating. Currently the most exercise I'm getting is 30-60 minutes of brisk walking and about 5-10 minutes of walking up stairs.

Is IF effective without regular exercise? Will it help me lose weight if I don't put in time at the gym?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ha! I created a video regarding my negative results with IF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4gQriubibU

At the end of the day, do whatever works for you. However, don't expect IF to give you magical gains, like some people claim it does.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ha! I created a video regarding my negative results with IF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4gQriubibU

At the end of the day, do whatever works for you. However, don't expect IF to give you magical gains, like some people claim it does.

I saw the video, there was some changes the yohmibne HCl and a bit more cardio. That could have effected your results. I have been doing IF for a long time, i find nothing special about it. Today i was actually thinking to myself "it's pretty dumb to do it" I have been seeing your posts on your weight loss and you seem to be doing very well.
    The lack of cardio was the biggest factor and walking doesn't cut it. As I stated in the video, having an eating window is just stupid and goes against what IF is all about.... not being confined to multiple meals. while you're not confined to multiple meals, you're just confined to a small *kitten* eating window!

At the end of the day, it's all about hitting the macros. I eat whenever and when I want, those times for the most part are around my workout.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for about 3-4 weeks and I'm going pretty good at sticking to my calorie goals. I came across IF and I really think that the 16/8 fast is something I could do. My only concern is the lack of real exercise at the moment. It's a lot harder for me to get to the gym than it is to go without eating. Currently the most exercise I'm getting is 30-60 minutes of brisk walking and about 5-10 minutes of walking up stairs.

Is IF effective without regular exercise? Will it help me lose weight if I don't put in time at the gym?

Why can't you do bodyweight workouts?
  • deejaylobo
    Options

Why can't you do bodyweight workouts?

I guess I could/should. I just haven't so far(Lazy!). So I was curious about IF. I found this and it seems to suggest good results even without much exercise (http://www.leangains.com/2011/03/intermittent-fasting-for-weight-loss.html)

But, I will start working out at home. Hopefully today!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Look on my profile...there's a great bodyweight workout there.