Trick and Treat - how healthy eating is making us ill & fat

Options

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I am not a fan of the no carb way of life. I've tried it. I can't keep my activity levels as high when I'm purposely eating no carbs.

What makes us ill and fat IMO is eating too many carbs. Pounding down beers and pizza, donuts and sodas... we overload with carbs.

My daily goal as prescribed to me by a doctor is to keep my protein intake about half of my overall calories, and that when body building to shoot for 1g of protein per pound of lean muscle mass, so I try to take in about 200g of protein a day. That's supposed to be half of my diet. THe other half is composed of carbs and fat, eaten at strategic points in the day.

The paleo diet did not work for me. I find it just another diet in a string of diets that may work for one but not work for the other. I would also rather not endure the paleo diet because I don't enjoy it. So long as I'm keeping my body at a good weight, I'm building muscle, and I'm keeping my numbers good, I'm fine.

I think it is a fallacy to follow any linear line of thought that says "if you don't do this, you are doing it wrong" when it comes to many things (politics, religion... diet)
  • arismells
    arismells Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    People didn't live long enough back then to die from cancer and heart disease.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I am not a fan of the no carb way of life. I've tried it. I can't keep my activity levels as high when I'm purposely eating no carbs.

What makes us ill and fat IMO is eating too many carbs. Pounding down beers and pizza, donuts and sodas... we overload with carbs.

My daily goal as prescribed to me by a doctor is to keep my protein intake about half of my overall calories, and that when body building to shoot for 1g of protein per pound of lean muscle mass, so I try to take in about 200g of protein a day. That's supposed to be half of my diet. THe other half is composed of carbs and fat, eaten at strategic points in the day.

The paleo diet did not work for me. I find it just another diet in a string of diets that may work for one but not work for the other. I would also rather not endure the paleo diet because I don't enjoy it. So long as I'm keeping my body at a good weight, I'm building muscle, and I'm keeping my numbers good, I'm fine.

I think it is a fallacy to follow any linear line of thought that says "if you don't do this, you are doing it wrong" when it comes to many things (politics, religion... diet)

Carbs don't make you fat, surplus does
    Fats don't make lose weight, deficit does
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ok, a lot of resistance. I am just finding this interesting. As I said, it's not my argument, it's a book.
    I have found for myself that after using a diet of low calorie for 4 years and have reached my goal that it's not the healthiest way of eating. In my case. As I am hungry a lot of the time and I have had to substitute things for processed low fat stuff to keep my calories down. I am going to give the Paleo diet a go, which is very natural food, high protein low fat (but plenty of good fats) low carbs (but plenty of veg and fruit). I would rather stop counting every calorie, working hard for an hour most days of exhausting energy to burn 500 calories and stop being hungry. Will have to see how this more natural diet goes.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    More carbs are evil nonsense.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options

This is true. If you eat 500 calories of just carbs a day you won't put on fat. But I find carbs a lot less satisfying than protein and fats and I'm soon hungry.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    tldr_trollcat.jpg?1318992465
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So does this mean that you practice these ideas and eat 70% fat every day?

Can you make your diary open so I can see what foods you eat to maintain these ratios?
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I tried doing Adkins (low carb) but I found that I had problems with getting enough energy to do my workouts. I've introduced carbs back into my diet while still eating high protein levels and have found that my weight loss has picked up drastically probably because I have more energy to be more active.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It's funny how he puts everything into little paragraphs for us, completely demonizing one thing and completely supporting another. Some of the things he says are simplistic or just plain wrong. But I guess that's what sells books, simplistic sensationalism.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Since cutting back on processed foods etc, I really have noticed how much fuller I am, and I will say that on the days i have let myself have more sugary things i feel a whole lot more hungry.Plus Ive noticed that if im good all day and eat the proteins and veg, when i have something sweet after it actually makes me hungry even though I felt really full before that. Its weird to say the least but that is something i have learned in the last 5 weeks.Now I have learned to go for the healthy stuff as i know itsb gonna fill me more and really im eating less.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Ahh yet another high carbs / low fat vs low carbs / high fat that is the question forum topic (yeehaw):

which is best? the answer, BOTH !!!!

Both eating plans work , there is enough fact and fiction floating around to support or disprove either, but
    thats not important whats important?

The key is ultimately the one you will be happiest on, the one you will personally stick with and feel great on while being able to live with for the long haul, neither is bad for your health,providing you are making healthy food choices period, neither is wrong, there is no black or white here, just do whats right for you, not your friends or family, but you.

Add in a daily dose of exercise (hopefully something you find fun and enjoy) and keep at it.

I personally eat low carb I feel great, tons of energy , loads of mental alert clarity, healthy hair, skin, nails, tests resuls at drs all good at checkups, and this works for me because I like it, therefore if I like it I will stick with it and be successful.

I have a friend who loves high carb/low fat lifestyle and this person also has success because its what they like, therefore they will stick with it and be successful also.

There is more than one path leading to the same finish line.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Ahh yet another high carbs / low fat vs low carbs / high fat that is the question forum topic (yeehaw):

which is best? the answer, BOTH !!!!

Both eating plans work , there is enough fact and fiction floating around to support or disprove either, but
    thats not important whats important?

The key is ultimately the one you will be happiest on, the one you will personally stick with and feel great on while being able to live with for the long haul, neither is bad for your health,providing you are making healthy food choices period, neither is wrong, there is no black or white here, just do whats right for you, not your friends or family, but you.

Add in a daily dose of exercise (hopefully something you find fun and enjoy) and keep at it.

I personally eat low carb I feel great, tons of energy , loads of mental alert clarity, healthy hair, skin, nails, tests resuls at drs all good at checkups, and this works for me because I like it, therefore if I like it I will stick with it and be successful.

I have a friend who loves high carb/low fat lifestyle and this person also has success because its what they like, therefore they will stick with it and be successful also.

There is more than one path leading to the same finish line.

Yup :) not to mention the food that would support your trainings. People only look for deficits, their trainings brings nothing interesting in the end. If so, it would be wiser to stay on the couch all day long with the deficit based on the TDEE
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

This is true. If you eat 500 calories of just carbs a day you won't put on fat. But I find carbs a lot less satisfying than protein and fats and I'm soon hungry.

I can see the refined junk carbs, but what about oats, brown rice, millet, barley, quinoa and other whole grains that have an abundant amount carbs. Forgive me if I missed something in your posts, but it seems that you (or the book) are grouping all carbs together and labeling them bad or unnecessary or whatever. All carbs are not created equal - there is a big difference in eating a bowl of oatmeal compared to 2 slices of white toast (both have around the same amount of calories). The best bet for the average person is to eat a clean, well-balanced diet that consists of whole natural foods, healthy fats and lean proteins as much as possible.

I also don't agree with your definition of "healthy eating".

Like I said, forgive me if I missed something in the earlier posts. I was caught up playing Words With Friends.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    But I find carbs a lot less satisfying than protein and fats and I'm soon hungry.

The lack of satiety here is simply the insuline drop....that glucagon highers after that. But low-Gi CHOs prevent that.
    The dietary fat do higher insuline, so the proteins, in a less measure by the way.

It is not a clever approach to compare nutrients, every has its own set of properties. Have you ever tried to prevent hypoglycemia by eating almonds ?
  • rebrcca3434
    Options
    Salt definitely does affect your blood pressure. If the kidneys are overwhelmed the salt will enter the blood vessels and pull in water thus increasing pressure. And 16 g is way over a healthy amount......you may not need to monitor salt much if you are healthy but if you are overweight you are probably at risk for DM and its complications, high BP ect.
  • jillianjr
    jillianjr Posts: 5
    Options
    Agreed @meeka472 and littlelaura. Many of us are exactly that way. In summary to ALL of this though; it's a personal assessment and one that people should receive by knowledgeable individuals who truly know about how the body works and nutrition.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options
    "So does this mean that you practice these ideas and eat 70% fat every day?
    Can you make your diary open so I can see what foods you eat to maintain these ratios? "
    I don't eat these ratios, as I've mentioned these are not my opinions but a book I read and wanted to share. I will embark on the Paleo diet tomorrow which is high protein, low fat and low carbs. If you want to see my diary please add me.
    If you would like to read what a typical diet is like for the 72 year old author: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/3230846/Healthy-food-Should-we-be-eating-more-fat.html

"I tried doing Adkins (low carb) but I found that I had problems with getting enough energy to do my workouts. I've introduced carbs back into my diet while still eating high protein levels and have found that my weight loss has picked up drastically probably because I have more energy to be more active. "
    I have tried the Atkins diet and didn't like it. I didn't find it to be healthy at all. It says you can eat processed meat. As long as you keep your carbs down you can eat anything. I like the idea of the Paleo diet because although it is high protein it emphasizes that all processed foods are banned and you can't eat salami and dairy etc. The basis is lean mean and fish supplemented with as many veg and fruit as you like. So I am hoping to get my energy from the protein converted to glucose AND the carbs in fruit and veg. Atkins can be very dangerous to the kidney and you can soon get protein poisoning if you don't eat protein with fats or carbs.

"Since cutting back on processed foods etc, I really have noticed how much fuller I am, and I will say that on the days I have let myself have more sugary things I feel a whole lot more hungry.Plus I've noticed that if I'm good all day and eat the proteins and veg, when I have something sweet after it actually makes me hungry even though I felt really full before that. Its weird to say the least but that is something I have learned in the last 5 weeks.Now I have learned to go for the healthy stuff as I know its going to fill me more and really I'm eating less. "
    Yeah that is because when you eat sweet food and raise your blood sugar levels they will drop quickly and you will be hungry again. Protein and fat will not raise your insulin or blood sugar levels so you feel satisfied for longer.

"Ahh yet another high carbs / low fat vs low carbs / high fat that is the question forum topic (yeehaw): which is best? the answer, BOTH !!!!"
    This is true. I believe that you can eat high fat and high protein or high protein and low fat, to lose or maintain weight and avoid sugar drops. In my personal opinion I would rather limit saturated fats. Not ban them, but not eat unlimited amounts.

"I can see the refined junk carbs, but what about oats, brown rice, millet, barley, quinoa and other whole grains that have an abundant amount carbs. Forgive me if I missed something in your posts, but it seems that you (or the book) are grouping all carbs together and labeling them bad or unnecessary or whatever. All carbs are not created equal - there is a big difference in eating a bowl of oatmeal compared to 2 slices of white toast (both have around the same amount of calories). The best bet for the average person is to eat a clean, well-balanced diet that consists of whole natural foods, healthy fats and lean proteins as much as possible."
    These carbs are better carbs than the simple sugars white flour supplies. But from what I understand, they are still not very high in Vitamins, Minerals and Fiber. There is much more in veg, fruit and protein. Also I understood that a lot of carbs will actually deplete the nutrients from your body. I think though that if you enjoy running or similar exercise these are good sources of energy.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    That what a balanced diet targets : make sure you don't lack of anything. This is not about excluding out food, rather see which brings what. Paleo diet could lead to much micronutrients deficiencies if it is not done with care
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    way too long.

all I got from this is that no matter what you do, you are screwed....

so therefore, it is a waste of my time.

everything causes cancer, everything is bad for you, everything kills you. the end.