veggies and fruits...what do you think?!

Options
i know some ppl that aren't counting their fruits and veggies in their diary's. some advice s that you can eat as many veggies and fruits as you want.

so questions is....what do you think about veggies and fruits? i know some have a lot of carbs but do those carbs matter??

give me the low down ppl!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you're monitoring. For me, I do monitor carbs, and sugars, so fruit and veg can have surprisingly high amounts of those.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    i track everything that I eat/drink. Except maybe some spices and other such things.
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    do you find that high carbs in veggies and fruits make you gain?
    It really depends on what you're monitoring. For me, I do monitor carbs, and sugars, so fruit and veg can have surprisingly high amounts of those.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    since i've started in January everything that goes in my mouth i track...so this to me makes sense and then not counting those makes sense too.
    i track everything that I eat/drink. Except maybe some spices and other such things.
  • GreatVibe
    GreatVibe Posts: 87
    Options
    i count mine hehe
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    you DEFINITELY have to keep track of your fruits! Because they are high in calories.
    BUT still ... I don't "cut down" on fruit so much. I do take their calories into account.
    Vegetables, well I add them to my diary, but they have hardly any calories it hardly counts LOL but I still enter it.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Even if you think you can't have too many fruits and vegetables, you can surely have too few. And only be keeping an accurate log can you find out if you eat too much or too little of certain items.

Fruit is also quite high in sugar/carbs, if your trying to loose weight and eat 3 pineapples a day that you don't count... well you're probably not getting any slimmer. Some vegetables have very little impact, but in the end, even the small things count. For me it makes sense to add basically everything I eat.
  • quiescentaureateserpent
    Options
    I track all fruits and vegetables. I have an allergy to all animal products so I eat quite alot of fruit and veggies. Soy and quinoa. I drink loads of water. So far I have dropped 16 pounds in nine days. For me it does not matter really. But then my diet is basically 100% vegan and I am dropping weight and am very happy about it.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Count them both. Fruits surprisingly have quite a bit of calories. A medium gala apple has about 90 calories and some carbs.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    thanks, i agree. i'm def going to count and log all mine...just wasn't sure if it was wise to just go all out and not.
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I track everything I eat, just because it's a good habit to have.

If you decide to track only certain things it could become a slippery slope- if not veggies and fruits, why should we track the oil they were cooked in?

When you track veggies and fruits, you'll notice that they do have calories (though its fairly low for veggies, higher for fruits), protein, carbs, fiber, etc. All of these are important to track.

Consider this: If I eat one cup of carrot slices, one cup of grape tomatoes, and 15 snap peas the calories add up to ~101. Iron is 23, Protein 9, Carbs 29, etc. These are all significant numbers for the meal/snack. If I didn't record these, but ate them every day, by the end of the week I will have not recorded over ~707 calories, 161 iron, 63 protein, 203 carbs. That's a huge impact on my intake.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    great answers! thanks :)
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I record all fruits and veggies. I don't care much about the sugars/carbs that are in them, but they are still calories and they add up in the end.

I remember watching a show once (X Weighted) and the woman on the show couldn't figure out why she wasn't losing weight. She started her day by eating a bag of apples on her drive to work. 1 hour, 5 apples, but because they were fruit she felt they shouldn't be adding to weight gain.

It all adds up.
  • GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You can't keep track of everthing you eat, but as for Veggies and Fruits, they are good CARBS!!!! This process we are going through is what I consider to be "one day at a time". You are going to have good and bad days. We have to learn to be patience and everything will workout for the best :)
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Fruits are all sugar. Consider it carefully.

Some veggies have a lott of sugar. Potatoes and carroys are deadly.

Consider it carefully.

Carbohydrate is carbohydrate. If you are eating fruit you are eating carbohydrate.

The ida that there are "good and bad" carbs is very controversial. Atoms are all the same. Carboydrate molecules are all the same.

If you want to read a huge pile of hard science on this very issue, buy Gary Taubes book, "Why we get fat." It is priceless. Don't go on rumours - get science.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say that you should track fruit, but leafy greens don't need to be tracked and you can eat as many as you please.

I personally track everything, but that's just my own choice.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If you want to read a huge pile of hard science on this very issue, buy Gary Taubes book, "Why we get fat." It is priceless. Don't go on rumours - get science.

If you want to read cherry-picked science that ignores any study that disagrees with it then read Gary Taubes. Otherwise track down the real science and ignore journalists selling books.
  • Nsalyers
    Nsalyers Posts: 1
    Options
    I was actualy just talking about this in my weight loss group. I have been going over my cals everyday because I've been logging my fruit. A bananna has 140 in itself!!!!!!!!!! That is crazy especially because I've been trying to incorporate fruits in a lot of my snacks.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Well don't track them, and if you are still moving towards your goal, it's fine
    If you don't, you could track them.

In 99% of the cases, solid food that goes through your mouth brings calories - fruits/ veggies included.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    "If you want to read cherry-picked science that ignores any study that disagrees with it then read Gary Taubes"

I'm really keen to find books or papers AGAINST Taubes, Dr Wolfgang Lutz, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, etc.

For sure, if you know of any, please let us know!

Once again, if you have a great paper, book, etc, which is "anti" Taubes, please let us know!

You are correct that Taubes is a journalist, not a Doctor. Nebertheless his analysis in "Good Calories, Bad Calories" is pretty conclusive - I've never seen it described as "cherry picked".

Can you state the or a particular study you had in mind that Taubes "ignores" or .. ??

Once again, one of my main fields of interest is finding arguments AGAINST Taubes, Kendrick, etc.

Anything specific?