Isn't annoying how people "judge" you based on your diet?

Options

Replies

• Norsegodess
    Options
    I was gonna buy a pie that someone on another group posted but after the checking the calorie count i said no and what I had for my tea that night was less calories. When I mentioned this her rely was lifes too short to calorie count which I dont agree with. If I continued down the road I was going I have no idea how many more pounds I would have added to my body and then have health issues. No thanks
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Stark....the change in you is awesome....way to go guy!!!
  • stageon
    stageon Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't even care and I don't listen to others. I research for myself, and then act. I'm not trying to be arrogant, I just find people an annoyance and an uninformed yet opinionated lot. So I totally ignore them and base my diet on facts.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    First thing, measuring and portioning lost me 45 lbs and counting so never be discouraged. Calorie counting ( to me anyway) is not tedious and even when I am only maintaining I keep a general count in my head and it yields results so keep on keepin on.

I think as long as your diet is balanced and people who are around you during meal times can see it, they are less likely to say anything. MY favorite is when people claim to eat healthy or cook "healthy" meals for me and they are some of the most unhealthy things ever lol I usually chuckle to myself and eat smaller portions, but I think a lot of people are ignorant to what actual healthy eating is.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i had a friend who wanted me to go eat chinese w her and she usually pays cuz i'm broke. anyway she told me if i was gonna count my calories she wasn't gonna pay because it would be a waste of money. that was shock to me coming from someone who barely eats a thing at all....i was hurt... and as of now she has not spoke to me in about 2 months and took me off her facebook friends list

^^^^ OMG!! Sounds like she wasn't a friend in the first place.
  • Masharitos
    Masharitos Posts: 106
    Options
    Definitely take his BF. Loads of people think they're in great shape, but they're soft all over.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Friends and co-workers used to scoff and joke at the food I was eating that was usually brought from home instead of going and getting take away like I used to.

5 months, 21kg on the scale and 3 (almost 4) pants sizes smaller, they've changed their tune and ask for tips on diet and exercise. It's just lucky I'm not a spiteful jerk and actually help them out instead of treating them how they treated me at first :)
  • msjersey73
    Options
    Apparently, my dad thinks I'm being too much. He laughs of on how much I measure my food and says that's its useless. He makes me look like a stupid person by believing or counting my calories and exercising cause he said that he never does these things and he's still so healthy! O cmon anyone who would see him would know he isn't. I'm just really pissed on how unmotivating people can be and how people can laugh at the effort you are doing to try to be healthy. I MEAN SERIOUSLY! They like making me feel wrong and stupid. Well HA-HA. it's not working. The madness i feel right now is going to be poured in one good exercise. But still. It isn't right how other people react. I'm sorry guys, MFP people are only the ones who can understand me. :(

Sorry for the long rant, have a nice day everyone :)

So sorry to hear your story!! Just ignore him, and keep it to yourself.
    I try my hardest not to tell anyone what i do, but when they find out, they are all like "oh, dont feed me that rabbit crap food" OR "you're paranoid, cut it out."
    people don't even invite me out to eat, because they think I can't, and they think i will impose my belief's on them....but i dont, unless they ask, and they always ask! i hate that! then they mad at me, but
    they asked, and i only gave facts.
    ppppsssshhhhh! Whatever! lol :heart:
  • msjersey73
    Options
    Whenever you don't share an "addiction" with someone......they don't want you around.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i had a friend who wanted me to go eat chinese w her and she usually pays cuz i'm broke. anyway she told me if i was gonna count my calories she wasn't gonna pay because it would be a waste of money. that was shock to me coming from someone who barely eats a thing at all....i was hurt... and as of now she has not spoke to me in about 2 months and took me off her facebook friends list

Don't be hurt.. it sounds like she's threatened because you won't keep being the fat friend. Keep doing what you're doing! :smile:

ha ha i didn't think of it that way. lol thanx
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It's funny. From family I get the mocking eyerolls and raised eyebrows when I say, "No thanks, I can't eat that" or that I'm trying to cut out/beef up on a certain nutrient or whatever and that's I'm taking it too far, but if I take a moment once every week or two to eat something "bad" that I like, suddenly it's, "Woooah, I guess the diet's over, huh?" Can't win, just gotta keep doing what you're doing and ignore the rest.
  • mrkennethjay
    Options
    That's the cool thing about MFP, for the handful of naysayers that will put you down; you got a millions of us lifting you up.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I find it annoying when people keep their diary's closed!!!

Why? Is it because can't judge them? (There have been topics on this and it gets under my skin... people can do what they want and no one needs to share what they are eating with you.. no matter how annoying you find it..)

To OP:
    Yea people judge me.. but then when they see me and I look twice as good as they do, they generally shut up :)
  • paigeybum123
    paigeybum123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My friends always roll their eyes and comment when I log calories or read the label on a package or something. It is so annoying...
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Smart of you to do that! :D

She took you off? If anyone had the right it had to be you. You don't deserve friends like that!
    yeah what was even more mesed up was she left my husband on her list....so i took her off his
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. Day. :angry:
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yes, this has happened to me all the time. Atfirst no one took me seriously and figured I would give up. Then after about 15lbs they started giving me a bunch of advice even though they dont follow it. My sister even said I am only losing water weight and will gain it back. That one hurt. Now I dont really eat out with anyone. I prepare and eat my meals at home mostly. If I ever visit my family or friends I just have fruit or say I already ate. Just keep going and do what makes you happy. If they arent waiting for you to crash and binge they are saying youre going too far and becoming obsessed. No way to win so just make yourself happy and healthy and talk to your mfp friends.
  • yoyoung
    yoyoung Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    And Suzanne you went to lunch with a friend and found out about this site!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    For this reason, I only discuss my diet with people who ask and are genuinely interested. I politely rebuff those negative questions and comments.

I do have to say though, that some people feel guilty about their own choices when they see you making healthy choices/changes- and they respond negatively to assuage their own guilt. I try to always remember this when I hear the negativity, so I don't feed back in to it.

This

Thank you :) It's just really hard when it's your family and when you live together, they can't "not" notice me. Thanks guys for the motivation!

I understand how hard it is to live with unsupportive people who just keeps on laughing & then sabotaging your efforts. I know easier said than done but just ignore your Dad & think that your doing this all for yourself. I'm sure that soon your Dad will eat everything that he said.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It was but doesn't really bother me anymore. Of course, I never say so, but generally my critics are NOT people I necessarily want to look like. So, I don't give their comments a second thought!