Cottage Cheese Anyone?

Options

Replies

• douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I like adding 2 parts chick peas to 1 part cottage cheese with some lemon, paprika and garlic in a blender and using it as a dip wiht carrots celery etc.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I always eat it on my sandwiches :wink:
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I love cottage cheese too.. I love the creaminess of it, but totally understand you loving the curds! I bet that you could strain it through some cheesecloth over a bowl to reduce the fluid.. just thought I'd give you that as something to try!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Since I had to cut back on sodium (1500mg per day), I can't even stand the taste of cottage cheese now. :( I used to like it mixed with pineapple when I did eat it.
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    I add it to scrambled eggs. It is delicious. Makes them very creamy and yummy. I also strain/rinse it and add it to salads. It's great mixed with spices/herbs as a salad dressing replacement.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Some people will think this is gross, but I've gotten into the habit of always adding a bit to my pasta.
    I do that too!
    On the rare occasion that I make it, I mix ricotta with cottage cheese and fresh parmesan to put in my layered lasagna. I put it in the food processor to make it creamy though. Yum
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    many people add fruit like peaches or mandarin oranges. I feed it to my 18 mo old as she is not fond of meat really, and i add tropical fruit cups to it, and she loves it. you can also blend it into shakes, as well as using it in pasta sauces, like alfredo. I did one that was cottage cheese, feta, and half/half
  • DrJackson6
    DrJackson6 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Try it with pineapples, you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it but now I love it, if it is the right brand. Some are disgusting. I much prefer Friendship. I especially like the "whipped" variety - which has texture like ricotta but way more protein. Also friendship is lower in sodium than some brands, and they have a "no salt added" variety which I like as well and is VERY low in sodium.

For the protein you can't beat it (16g in 1/2 cup for 90 calories).
  • MomRodi3
    MomRodi3 Posts: 1
    Options
    We add cherry tomatoes, chopped green peppers, and sliced/chopped green onions...tasty!
  • lasinbb
    lasinbb Posts: 14
    Options
    I eat Market basket fat free cottage cheese. It tastes great, has 0 grams of sat fat, and has lots of protein, It also helps satisfy my cheese craving. I often put seeds (sunflower or pumpkin) or fruit in it. Enjoy, but if you don't like it, I don't think there is any reason to force yourself to eat it. It's not a super food like quinoa. Good luck!!!
  • lbelle987
    lbelle987 Posts: 97
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, but only one brand (Kroger, low fat). I usually eat it plain, but it's really good topped with peaches or apples. Sometimes I use it as a dip for celery or carrots. I also cook with it a lot in creamy pasta recipes. I used it for my eggplant parmesan & spinach lasagna, as well as in my stuffed chicken. All turned out great. It's definitely an acquired taste, though. If you're really not a fan, I would just skip it and eat a couple cubes of cheese with veggies or fruit instead.
  • Broken420
    Broken420 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it very often due to the sodium content, but when I do I like it with pears or pineapple. Delish!
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like it plain or on toast. Sodium content varies a lot from one brand to another. Just take it into account in your day.
  • wahchile
    wahchile Posts: 19
    Options
    I think Dean's brand tastes the best by far. I like the lowfat variety. I just eat it with pepper, and sometimes a little salt.

Oh, and if you ever cook a pot roast, try cottage cheese as a side. For some reason it goes reallly well together.
  • lucystrut
    lucystrut Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i like it. if ur having it on crackers or toast try putting it on with a fork not a spoon so u don't pick up so much of the liquidy stuff. its nice in a baked potato with chives stirred through, or on its own with pineapples in
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese.
    My favourite meal is cottage cheese over a jacket potato with loads of salad.

I also like it with chicken chunks dipped in again with salad.

I sometimes make a low fat quiche with it too, i mix some ham, onion, peppers or anything else you fancy with a pot of cottage cheese, crack in two eggs, mix together and put into a casserole dish, bake for 30 mins on gas mark 6 and there you have a low fat quiche :) x
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    add splenda + fruit or jelly or extracts

whey, any flavor
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i add a scoop on top od a bowl full of berries and sprinkle with cinnimon and a no cal sweetner. its delicious :) im a big fan of fruit and cheese, lol