Cottage Cheese Anyone?

Options

Replies

• fliesdonotbelong
    fliesdonotbelong Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they're horrible for you... but I LOVE it with bacon bits sprinkled on top! It does wonders for the texture.
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of cottage cheese... I like it with tuna and cherry tomatoes mixed in..(super protein!)

I also love it with fresh pineapple.

IMO Trader Joe's low fat is the best tasting out there.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I saw your post and I just had to answer because I am sitting here eating cottage cheese. :)

I eat if plain or with crackers. You can put it in lasagna. But different brands have different tastes. I only like one brand so if one turns you off, try a different one.
  • 2012newbie
    2012newbie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, it's great with sliced cucumbers. I sometimes will mix chives into it, that's great, too. Another thing I've done is sprinkle with "salad seasoning." Pineapple tidbits are good drained and mixed in with it. Another way I use to enjoy it is spread on toast. Really good.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain or on a salad. Breakstone has a new low sodium cottage cheese. I saw it at walmart but it was outdated so I didn't buy it. I will when they get more. I look out for my sodium intake as well and if I can buy the low sodium kind I will. Daisy 2% is the lowest i have found besides the Breakstone brand.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    My dad likes to eat low fat cottage cheese mixed with low fat sour cream and mixed berries.

Some of my cousins go through an entire container a day slathering it on top of open-faced sandwiches.
  • BeetL
    BeetL Posts: 5
    Options
    I like cottage cheese with pieces of fresh pineapple or mango. Makes a great breakfast, or quick lunch.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Have not read all the posts.

I add it to my lasagna instead of ricotta. I have recently been adding it to a meal as a side, with S&P on top. If I am eating a sandwhich it goes great with it.

I used to really be grossed out with it but my hubby got me used to it.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I just eat it the way it is. Sometimes I add pineapple. Breakstone has 100 cal cups that come with fruit already.

606W0CXfv8qWdsXb1WUeNgRpRqCxtWAZbG+kWHrkke21xRZClo8jdaqitFi03g
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat about a half a cup of lowfat cottage cheese to my salad everyday..great source of protein
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I like to add fruit to my cottage cheese!
    I loove cottage cheese and adding watermelon or other kinds of fruit just makes it yummier!

By itself is good, too :)
  • AshleyPaige1987
    AshleyPaige1987 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I first started my diet I was eating cottage cheese every morning for breakfast. I usually ate anwyhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup of cottage cheese and I love to eat pineapple with it. Sometimes I would also made a fruit salad with kiwi, apple, orange, strawberries, blueberries, and peach and have a handful of fruit and cottage cheese for breakfast.
  • Forthe4
    Forthe4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really like cottage cheese myself. I sprinkle some freshly ground pepper on top of it and chow down. Yum
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I love Kalona Supernatural 4% cottage cheese, especially with blackberries. It's often my breakfast or lunch :)

edit: P.S. before I found Kalona, I hated cottage cheese, but something about this brand is deliciously addictive
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I add fruit. I use it in salad. I eat it plain. Sometimes I toss in some ham. I know it's high in sodium....but I drink lots of water and watch the other sodium levels.
  • mrmoustache
    Options
    I love it mixed with peanut butter and sliced bananas. I lived off that stuff in college.
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm very particular about the brand of cottage cheese I like. But when I do eat it I love it on a slice of toast and some fruit on the side! I grew up with that! It was almost a staple in our house for breakfast!

I am particular too...it has to be low fa 2%t small curd Knudsen...pink container. Have tried other brands...and ended up tossing them.

YES! Pink contain Knudsen is the BEST! I've had to throw out other brands too. But now I live in a different area and can't find Knudsen anymore. :( I recently got desperate and ended up trying Trader Joe's Organic low-fat and it was pretty good. Not nearly as good as Knudsen pink, but totally edible. I'll keep buying it, because I love cottage cheese as a low cal, high protein snack. But if anyone in Seattle knows where to by Knudsen CC, let me know! ;)

To answer the OP, I usually just eat cottage cheese plain. I don't like mixing it with things usually, but I will sometimes have a sliced apple or something on the side. I know a few people who eat it mixed with granola.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I am not overly fond of it myself but the only way I can eat it is to mix it with fruit. But i haven't had it in years..
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will give it a go with some of your ideas & report back! :smile: Thanks for your help!
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese and make it a daily snack for myself. I add sliced almonds to it. Yum!