Not sure why whole wheat pasta is better

Options
mikek333
mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
I always thought is was the fact that whole wheat has a much lower glycemic index than white. But according to the info on the Southbeach Diet website, (which should be reputable) this is what I found:

The glycemic index of whole wheat spaghetti is 37, white spaghetti is 41. Not much difference, I would go with whichever one I preferred to eat.

As far as rice goes, brown rice is 55, white rice is 58. Again, not much difference. I happen to like brown rice better, but where I live it's much easier to find restaurants that serve white rice.

For bread, multigrain is 48, whole grain is 50, and white is 71. I think that's a big difference between white and the others.

If there is another reason why whole wheat pasta or brown rice are better than their white counterparts, I would appreciate it if someone chimed in.

Thanks!

Replies

• afcgirl
    afcgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it is better. I avoid all pasta, bread and rice. I think nutritionists say that you can eat whole grains/brown rice because they don't want to admit that low carb diets are better than low fat diets after years of saying the opposite :smile: .
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Whole grains have more nutrients, especially fiber. The overall result is that the whole grains are more filling, even though the calories and glycemic index are pretty much the same.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I thought it was because of the fiber and nutrients. The calories are similar but at least whole grain isn't empty calories. You're getting some bang for your buck
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In both cases, they are mostly a starchy carb. The difference is that the whole grain has more fiber and slightly higher nutritients. The whole grains also have phytic acid which can inhibit the absorbtion of minerals in the digestive tract. However, the amount and frequency of consumption would have to very high for that to make any significant difference. If you want a little more fiber, eat the whole grain products. If you don't really care about that, eat what you like.
  • Mfnicholson
    Options
    I try not to eat a whole lot of pasta either, but when I have to have it, I eat Ronzoni's Garden Delight pasta. It's made with veggies so there's a serving a vegetable in serving of pasta. Tastes good, too. The carb count is the same as regular pasta, though.

You can check it out here: http://ronzonigardendelight.newworldpasta.com/pasta_story.cfm
  • mmapags
    Options
    Whole grains have more nutrients, especially fiber. The overall result is that the whole grains are more filling, even though the calories and glycemic index are pretty much the same.

Just a point of clarification but fiber is not a nutrient.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    thermic effect of food
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it is better. I avoid all pasta, bread and rice. I think nutritionists say that you can eat whole grains/brown rice because they don't want to admit that low carb diets are better than low fat diets after years of saying the opposite :smile: .
    Man, I know... eating 500g+ of carbs has made me SO UNHEALTHY... glad we have people like you to point out the evils of bad nasty bad carbohydrates for us! And low carb is so great because it is IMPOSSIBLE to gain fat while eating tons of crappy high-fat foods... all the low-carbers are so fit, and you NEVER see a bodybuilder-looking person who eats a lot of carbs.

WHARRGARBL
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I always thought is was the fact that whole wheat has a much lower glycemic index than white. But according to the info on the Southbeach Diet website, (which should be reputable) this is what I found:

The glycemic index of whole wheat spaghetti is 37, white spaghetti is 41. Not much difference, I would go with whichever one I preferred to eat.

As far as rice goes, brown rice is 55, white rice is 58. Again, not much difference. I happen to like brown rice better, but where I live it's much easier to find restaurants that serve white rice.

For bread, multigrain is 48, whole grain is 50, and white is 71. I think that's a big difference between white and the others.

If there is another reason why whole wheat pasta or brown rice are better than their white counterparts, I would appreciate it if someone chimed in.

Thanks!

What relevance do you think the GI rating of a food has to the avg person?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    More fiber, less processing and therefore less stripped of nutrients.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Man, I know... eating 500g+ of carbs has made me SO UNHEALTHY... glad we have people like you to point out the evils of bad nasty bad carbohydrates for us! And low carb is so great because it is IMPOSSIBLE to gain fat while eating tons of crappy high-fat foods... all the low-carbers are so fit, and you NEVER see a bodybuilder-looking person who eats a lot of carbs.

WHARRGARBL

LOL! This.... Off to go eat lots of carbs....:flowerforyou:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    FIBER!

more fiber in whole wheat. Your body digests whole wheat better, and slower, keeping you full longer and allowing your body to get more of the good stuff in it.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    FIBER!

more fiber in whole wheat. Your body digests whole wheat better,

Your body doesn't digest fiber.
  • moeheep
    moeheep Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bottom line..eat pasta if you want to....eat ice cream if you want to......eat pizza if you want to...I do

Weight loss = calories out greater than calories in.

eat 5000 cals a day...... burn of 5500....... you will lose weight.

Not sure why everyone has to make this so much harder than it really is.
  • mmapags
    Options
    FIBER!

more fiber in whole wheat. Your body digests whole wheat better,

Your body doesn't digest fiber.

Totally! That is one of the benefits of fiber. A feeling of fullness with out nutrients.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Bottom line..eat pasta if you want to....eat ice cream if you want to......eat pizza if you want to...I do

Weight loss = calories out greater than calories in.

eat 5000 cals a day...... burn of 5500....... you will lose weight.

Not sure why everyone has to make this so much harder than it really is.

What?? You mean there is no silver bullet?? lol
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty good lit review from JAMA, a peer-reviewed journal on the relevance of GI on people:
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?volume=287&issue=18&page=2414
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I can't remember exactly where I read it, but it was from a reputable place, that said eating whole pasta and rice does not have much of a difference. Like you have pointed out, as for bread there's a much bigger difference so it's better to eat wheat than white.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    its not... its completely overrated unless ur pre-diabetic or a diabetic.