When does CURVY become FAT

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I work in the lingerie department at a store and they recently changed the sign for the section for bigger sizes from "Plus size" to "Curvy fit". Umm...seriously? lol That irritated me. If you are a 46B chances are you are NOT curvy...you are FAT. lol

You are about to get hate-bombed by 46B curvy women. Haha.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    i am thinking that curvy is subjectional and is in the eye of the beholder. marilyn monroe was a size 14 and curvy and very sexy, right? i think that curvy becomes fat when the 'rolls' start showing up.

you can be a 'double digit size', have curves without being fat, right? just sayin`

Agree with most of what you said... But keep in mind a size 14 then does not equal a size 14 now.

Marilyn Monroe was very tiny and had a 23'' waist I believe. Look up her measurements if you think she was a size 14.

She's probably a modern day size 4 and would have to get the waist taken in for all her clothes.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    When there is only one large curve, ie you become spherical, I would consider that past curvy.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    Options
    Looking back at the pic of the girl in the blue dress. She is curvy, not fat, very attractive figure and appears to be at a healthy weight., and if you are happy at the weight you are at then stay there. You look great!

Agree with the post above, when its only one curve then its fat.

But its all subjective. My brother like the super skinny type and I don't. I prefer curvy, like my wife. She would call herself overweight but not me, I love her curves, and I am just sayin that most guys I know like curves better.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When you have a belly and back fat that overwhelms your hips/booty.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    i am thinking that curvy is subjectional and is in the eye of the beholder. marilyn monroe was a size 14 and curvy and very sexy, right? i think that curvy becomes fat when the 'rolls' start showing up.

you can be a 'double digit size', have curves without being fat, right? just sayin`

Agree with most of what you said... But keep in mind a size 14 then does not equal a size 14 now.

This. People always bring up Marilyn Monroe as a size 14 but dont mention or blatantly ignore the fact that sizes were way smaller back then. Shed be between a 2-6 nowadays. so ridiculous and misleading.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm throwing this out there because this topic always bugs me!

Curvy is one of those terms that is subjective. It's as simple as that!

I have a high amount of lean muscle mass so my BMI is not a good judge. I am working on my BF% but have not set a goal. According to some people on here it is too high for me to be "curvy" All that said I still consider myself Currvy!

The pic below is me... This is my definition of curvey. So no one comment that I'm Fat! Or I will cry. Just kidding... Well Sort of. :smile:

de372388.jpg

That is the good kind of curvy right there :-)
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Again? Really? :indifferent:
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I can tell you one thing, OP, I am SICK, to the back teeth, of people using curvy to equal fat. Even freakin' shops do it.

Seriously, it bugs me.

I'm curvy - I have a 15" difference between my hips and my waist. Beyonce is curvy. Kim Kardashian is curvy.

You can be fat and curvy, slim and curvy, athletic and curvy, anorexic and curvy, but having some meat on your bones doesn't automatically equal curvy.

I'll never forget the time I read a story about this seriously morbidly obese woman whose mission it was to become the fattest woman ever. Her chef boyfriend was, like most chubby chasers, slim. He said he likes 'curvy women'. Right. Because rolls upon rolls equals curvy now.

It's just another symptom of our PC culture. Sadly, a spade isn't a spade anymore, it's a fork.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    When BMI goes over 25 according to CDC.

LOL :huh:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

MM's sizes were different compared to now. She would be a size 8-10 in today's sizes.

Also, I am curvy, but I still have rolls ;) (when I sit down)
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    I have a ghetto booty too!!!! Sideways I look way curvy but I look more stickish straight ways. :) idk if thats bad or good
    I think the traditional definition of the hourglass figure is a 10 inch difference between your waist and your hips/boobs.

What if you have smallish hips with a ghetto booty??

I'm curvy if I stand sideways
  • GiaFox
    GiaFox Posts: 48
    Options
    Curvy to me means starting with skinny to normal weight, toned muscles and a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.7 or less. I don't consider boobs as part of curves. I have seen women with big boobs but no waist and hips, and I do not consider them as curvy. No offense to the women with such body type, you are sexy nonetheless.

If I see flab, even the slightest roll spilling over the jeans' line, love handles etc, I do not consider those as curves. Flab isn't curves, nor are love handles. Love handles mean fat around the waist. But the point to being curvy is NOT having fat around your waist. And flab means fat and no toned muscle. Fat is NOT curves. A curvy body is someone with a good muscle tone with only a thin layer of fat in the right places. And by right places I mean boobs, hips, butt, but NOT waist. Only average to skinny women can have this. Like I said, I do not consider fat as curvy.

Sorry if I sound offensive, but I do not care for PC.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Curvy to me means starting with skinny to normal weight, toned muscles and a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.7 or less. I don't consider boobs as part of curves. I have seen women with big boobs but no waist and hips, and I do not consider them as curvy. No offense to the women with such body type, you are sexy nonetheless.

If I see flab, even the slightest roll spilling over the jeans' line, love handles etc, I do not consider those as curves. Flab isn't curves, nor are love handles. Love handles mean fat around the waist. But the point to being curvy is NOT having fat around your waist. And flab means fat and no toned muscle. Fat is NOT curves. A curvy body is someone with a good muscle tone with only a thin layer of fat in the right places. And by right places I mean boobs, hips, butt, but NOT waist. Only average to skinny women can have this. Like I said, I do not consider fat as curvy.

Sorry if I sound offensive, but I do not care for PC.

This is how I've always seen it as well, thus my reference to Selma Hayek in From Dusk Till Dawn.
  • GiaFox
    Options
    simply put, having a big bust/*kitten*, but a small waist and firm, but not skinny, legs....like beyonce, j lo, etc..

That is only your opinion. You are leaving out a whole range of other women whose bodies would perfectly fall under the ''curvy'' category, but you only choose to promote ONE body type. Lame.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    simply put, having a big bust/*kitten*, but a small waist and firm, but not skinny, legs....like beyonce, j lo, etc..

That is only your opinion. You are leaving out a whole range of other women whose bodies would perfectly fall under the ''curvy'' category, but you only choose to promote ONE body type. Lame.

No, curvy is pretty much a small waist in comparison to hips and breasts, but mostly hips. Just because someone has a big round stomach doesn't make them curvy.

ETA: Never mind, you probably meant to not skinny part. I'd probably say super skinny even with the right ratios, I wouldn't consider curvy because its harder to see. A person can be fit an small but skinny to me conjures a more emaciated appearance. (just my opinion on the word itself, I usually get a little annoyed when people call me skinny. I usually see skinny as how someone looks after a famine or severe starvation. I know, a little extreme lol)
  • GiaFox
    Options

Marylin Monroe was in no way in hell THAT thin. I am skinny and have a 23 inch waist. She was taller than me by a few inches and definitely bigger boned. And not only that, but she also had considerably much more weight than I do at my size. Whatever source you found on her is grossly erronated. There is no way she had a 23 inch waist, NO WAY. Don't trust the Internet when it comes to celebrities' measurements.
    Marilyn Monroe was very tiny and had a 23'' waist I believe. Look up her measurements if you think she was a size 14.

She's probably a modern day size 4 and would have to get the waist taken in for all her clothes.

I am skinny, shorter and have much less weight than Marylin did, not to mention a much smaller frame. My waist is 23 inches. There is no way in hell she had a 23 inch waist. NO WAY. Don't listen to Internet sources.
  • xPersocom
    xPersocom Posts: 12
    Options
    When the profile pic becomes your cat instead of you.

Or a Pikachu.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I am skinny, shorter and have much less weight than Marylin did, not to mention a much smaller frame. My waist is 23 inches. There is no way in hell she had a 23 inch waist. NO WAY. Don't listen to Internet sources.

That's from the peak of career and the measurements are from her dress makers. I also read she just liked her clothes tight so she could have been a 24'' waist. If you see pictures from her test shoots she really does look very tiny. My waist is 26'' and she looks significantly smaller than me in some pictures.

In later pictures she did gain some weight. I think that's why people confuse her size with how she looked because everyone's always posting the pictures when she was bigger.
  • GiaFox
    Options

No, curvy is pretty much a small waist in comparison to hips and breasts, but mostly hips. Just because someone has a big round stomach doesn't make them curvy.

ETA: Never mind, you probably meant to not skinny part. I'd probably say super skinny even with the right ratios, I wouldn't consider curvy because its harder to see. A person can be fit an small but skinny to me conjures a more emaciated appearance. (just my opinion on the word itself, I usually get a little annoyed when people call me skinny. I usually see skinny as how someone looks after a famine or severe starvation. I know, a little extreme lol)

Oh, I agree with you completely. I wasn't refering to the heavier ones. I think I already mentioned in another post of mine that skinny to normal weight promotes curviness. I also think that super skinny women can have really nice curves as well. It all lies into their body type, skeletal shape and how the fat and even how the muscles are deposited on the frame. Yeah, I generally avoid the word ''skinny'', but I see most use it here...lol