When does CURVY become FAT

Options

Replies

• hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I am skinny, shorter and have much less weight than Marylin did, not to mention a much smaller frame. My waist is 23 inches. There is no way in hell she had a 23 inch waist. NO WAY. Don't listen to Internet sources.
    [/quote]

***http://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-last-time-what-size-was-marilyn-monroe***
  • GiaFox
    GiaFox Posts: 48
    Options
    I am skinny, shorter and have much less weight than Marylin did, not to mention a much smaller frame. My waist is 23 inches. There is no way in hell she had a 23 inch waist. NO WAY. Don't listen to Internet sources.

That's from the peak of career and the measurements are from her dress makers. I also read she just liked her clothes tight so she could have been a 24'' waist. If you see pictures from her test shoots she really does look very tiny. My waist is 26'' and she looks significantly smaller than me in some pictures.

In later pictures she did gain some weight. I think that's why people confuse her size with how she looked because everyone's always posting the pictures when she was bigger.

Oh yeah, her weight did shift throughout her career. I have seen pics of her when she was skinnier, and some other pics when she was borderline overweight already. Nonetheless, I think she looked better on the heavier side, although I do not think this normally of people. But some people, few, actually look good on the chubby side.
  • GiaFox
    GiaFox Posts: 48
    Options

[/quote]

***http://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-last-time-what-size-was-marilyn-monroe***
    [/quote]

Whuuut?? I find this hard to believe. She looks so much bigger than me...I don't understand how she could have the same waist size as me. lol But I will give you some credit. Measurements and looks can be deceiving.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I can tell you one thing, OP, I am SICK, to the back teeth, of people using curvy to equal fat. Even freakin' shops do it.

Seriously, it bugs me.

You can be fat and curvy, slim and curvy, athletic and curvy, anorexic and curvy, but having some meat on your bones doesn't automatically equal curvy.

I'll never forget the time I read a story about this seriously morbidly obese woman whose mission it was to become the fattest woman ever. Her chef boyfriend was, like most chubby chasers, slim. He said he likes 'curvy women'. Right. Because rolls upon rolls equals curvy now.

It's just another symptom of our PC culture. Sadly, a spade isn't a spade anymore, it's a fork.

Agree 110%

I use to be fat and never would have called myself curvy, now I consider myself curvy.
  • Dr229
    Dr229 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    THIS IS AN INTERESTING BLOG...CURVY BECOMES FAT WHEN YOU DO NOT SEE ANY CURVES. WHEN THE WAIST IS LOSING ITS DEFINITION. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION I HAVE BEEN CURVY ALL MY LIFE AND PPL INFORM ME THAT I AM NOT FAT I JUST HAVE HIP THIGHS AND A BOOTY THAT ALL IN PORPOTIONED EQUALLY THE REASEON I LOVE TO WEAR DRESSES AS AOPPOSED TO JEANS AND PANTS.
  • pinkxlulu
    pinkxlulu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You've got to remember that in the 40s and 50s (and even into the 60s) even slim women wore SERIOUS foundation garments. The girdles that women wore were essentially small corsets, so 23 inches was probably her waist measurement after cinching. The cone shaped bra also exaggerates the hourglass look, so she was probably a bit more petite than she looks in her photos or movies. It's really hard make comparisons with an actress like Marilyn Monroe because women today just don't wear those kinds of foundation garments. Spanx have nothing on a steel and reinforced elastic girdle!
  • SSGirlLV
    SSGirlLV Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Marilyn’s Body: The Debate

This has been a topic of some mild debate, both online and off. I have some opinions on it since I have studied Marilyn Monroe’s life a bit. Don’t ask me why…it’s a long, convoluted, weird story. But I’ve been interested in her life for about five years.

The point of this is: the Marilyn body-size debate. Some people claim that she was quite large (by today’s standards) and would be a size 16 today. Others say she was slender and small like today’s actresses and models. But I’ve only seen one person (*Sex&Candy*) cite sources.

The sources I have accessed are these:

-Marilyn’s reported measurements (both studio and dressmaker claims) from marilynmonroe.com, the official Marilyn website maintained by CMG Worldwide, the representative for Marilyn’s estate. They are: 37-23-36 (Studio’s Claim), 35-22-35 (Dressmaker’s Claim), and height: 5 feet 5 1/2 inches. I will go by the Dressmaker’s claim, seeing as how a dressmaker requires accurate measurements for his work, and the Studio would be publishing measurements to titillate a male audience and gain publicity…therefore, they might ‘pad’ the measurements to make someone’s figure seem more ‘hourglass’ and fashionable.

-Today’s size requirements to be a fashion model, available from blufire.com, an online Model Registry.

-Lena Pepitone’s book (Marilyn Monroe Confidential), which includes an account of Marilyn’s body size and weight gain. Pepitone worked as Marilyn’s maid when she lived in NYC, and did some of her sewing/mending.

-Some original Simplicity and Butterick patterns from the 1950s, which have measurements and size charts printed on the back. Also, contemporary patterns with sizing charts.

-The BMI (Body Mass Index) which is the tool currently used to determine if a person is overweight by contemporary medical standards.

The claims I have heard are these:

-Marilyn Monroe would be considered “overweight” today (claim made by the NAAFA.)

-Marilyn Monroe wore a size 16.

-Marilyn Monroe would wear a size 6/8 in today’s clothing.

Other:

-On one website created by a devoted Marilyn fan, the fan took a trip to L.A. to see some Marilyn artifacts, including several of the dresses Marilyn wore. The fan remarked on how ‘tiny’ they seemed.

So, using my sources, I have come up with the following answers to these claims:

-Marilyn was not overweight. According to Lena Pepitone, Marilyn’s maid in NYC who was in charge of mending her clothes and other functions (like bathing and laundry) which would give her a good idea of Marilyn’s body size, Marilyn regularly wore clothing so tight that they would split at the seams, requiring Lena to do a lot of mending. Also, she reports that before the filming of Some Like it Hot, Marilyn went through a period of depression and ate compulsively, gaining enough weight to put her at 140 lbs. (The studio claims that Marilyn weighed between 115 and 120 lbs., at a height of 5’5 1/2″.) By current standards (the BMI), a weight of 140 at a height of 5’5 1/2″ would result in a BMI of 22.9, well below the cut-off BMI of 24.9 for ‘overweight.’ At 140 lbs. she was reportedly unhappy, but was still able to go out in public and be revered as a sex goddess.

-However, Marilyn would probably not fit the requirements of a contemporary fashion model. According to the BluFire Model Registry: “Female fashion models typically are at least 5’8″…and 34-24-34, plus or minus one inch…for each dimension. (Sometimes hip size is 36 inches.)” Therefore, Marilyn would have been too short at 5’5″. Though her measurements were about right, her height would have made her seem wider. But, “She was working as a model in the mid-’40s, gracing the covers of hundreds of magazines and winning beauty contests (she was 1947′s Miss California Artichoke Queen.)” (According to swinginchicks.com.) Obviously, in the 40s and 50s, size requirements for models were a bit more lenient than they are today.

-Marilyn wore between a size 10 and 18 in the 1950s. According to several original 1950s patterns I own, Marilyn’s bust measurement (36) would be a size 18 or 16; her waist (22) would be about a size 8 (none of the patterns listed as low as 22 for waist…the lowest was 23 1/2, which was a size 9); her hips (35) would be 12 or 14 (or 13 junior.) Anything above a size 12 (measurements 32-25-34) might’ve been considered “plus-sized” as evidenced by a “Slenderette” pattern by Simplicity. “Slenderette,” I imagine, was their special designation for patterns that would make larger girls seem more slender. I have not been able to find any sources on this though.

-Marilyn’s size today would be between 6 and 14. According to a modern Simplicity pattern, her bust (36) would be a size 14; her waist (22) a size 6; her hips (35) a size 10, 12 or 14. Many people have claimed that pattern sizes are wildly different between the 1950s and today, but this is not the case. Between different pattern companies there is always a wide range of different sizes based on measurements, although there does seem to be about one or two sizes difference between most patterns from the 1950s and most contemporary patterns. This does not constitute a huge disparity, however, as some have claimed (for example, that a size 16 in the 1950s would be a size 8 today.) Since sizes generally move up in two-number increments, this would be a difference of four sizes…whereas the largest difference I could find for Marilyn’s old size and her contemporary size was two sizes: sizes 6 to 10, and 14 to 18.

-Also, I’d like to note that a reason occurred to me why Marilyn’s dresses would seem so tiny when viewed in person: Marilyn’s dresses were often sewed onto her and, as Lena Pepitone asserts, her clothes were often so tight that they required regular mending of split seams and zippers. To get her clothing onto a dressform without ripping out seams and re-sewing them, they would have to choose smaller-than-Marilyn dressforms so that the dresses would maintain a normal amount of ‘ease’…though in Marilyn’s lifetime, she wore them without that ease. If you stuffed them as tight as sausage-casings, as she wore them, you could have an accurate 3-D depiction of her nude body size/shape (since it is reported that she didn’t even wear underwear [Lena Pepitone], let alone girdles and other shaping garments popular at the time.)

All in all, I tackled this just to show that nothing is as clear-cut as we’d like it to be. No, Marilyn was definitely not fat and would not even be considered overweight by today’s standards. However, she was certainly not as tall or skinny as today’s fashion models and many actresses, and she did not wear a size 0 or 2, as is becoming the norm for ‘beautiful women’ in contemporary society. Like all of us, her weight even fluctuated a bit over her lifetime.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a ghetto booty too!!!! Sideways I look way curvy but I look more stickish straight ways. :) idk if thats bad or good
    I think the traditional definition of the hourglass figure is a 10 inch difference between your waist and your hips/boobs.

What if you have smallish hips with a ghetto booty??

I'm curvy if I stand sideways

I'm sure neither of you mean to be offensive, but what pray tell is a "ghetto" booty? If you have a behind that is not flat say that instead. Thank you.
  • Astro_ferret
    Astro_ferret Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    "Curvy" became fat when fat girls decided they needed to brand themselves with something that made themselves seem more appealing, usually accompanied by somehow trying to indirectly compare themselves to Marylin Monroe. Few things irk me more when someone shaped like a barrel calls themselves "curvy" yet the only curves on them are from the rolls on their back fat.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

I'm sure neither of you mean to be offensive, but what pray tell is a "ghetto" booty? If you have a behind that is not flat say that instead. Thank you.

It really wasn't all that deep, but sorry if it offended you :flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I have a ghetto booty too!!!! Sideways I look way curvy but I look more stickish straight ways. :) idk if thats bad or good
    I think the traditional definition of the hourglass figure is a 10 inch difference between your waist and your hips/boobs.

i know right? i guess the size and shape of a woman's butt is somehow indicative of her socioeconomic status :huh:

anyway, curvy = pear or hourglass shapes. it's not necessarily dependent on your clothing size or weight either. a size 0 pear is still going to be curvier than a size 10 ruler. as to when it becomes fat, that happens you have percentage of fat over 25%. someone can be curvy and fat.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

BTW, I am now and have always been curvy whether I I weighed 95 lbs (college) or peak weight of 167. Why!?!?! It's the hips and behind...a 13 inch difference between those and my waist. Curvy shouldn't be a substitute term for fat/overweight, but you can be both.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think the only good use of this term is the Levi's CurvyID jeans. These are seriously the first pair of jeans I have ever owned where they look low slung at the front but provide enough room at the back so I don't have a plumbers-crack. Love them!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

And you also need a similar measure between bust and waist. Basically the same width on the bust/shoulders and the hips with a defined waist. If your bust is narrow, you are a pear. Still curvy, but not an hourglass.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think the problem here is that people tend to use the term curvy to "politely" describe overweight people- regardless of the actual definition- oftentimes the connotation is that curvy means fat. Sorry.

I agree, sometimes people use the word curvy to politely say a girl has "quite a bit of meat on her bones" (another way to politely say a person is heavy, big, thick, chubby, chunky, hefty, plump, portly, big boned, corpulent, obese, or fat.) But as the word "fat" is now considered pejorative (at least I think so) this is what we have left...

I was curvy (10 inch difference bust waist hips) when I was 50 pounds lighter and still have the same hourglass difference now but I'm huge so I've never really thought of it as a complement.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You've got to remember that in the 40s and 50s (and even into the 60s) even slim women wore SERIOUS foundation garments. The girdles that women wore were essentially small corsets, so 23 inches was probably her waist measurement after cinching. The cone shaped bra also exaggerates the hourglass look, so she was probably a bit more petite than she looks in her photos or movies. It's really hard make comparisons with an actress like Marilyn Monroe because women today just don't wear those kinds of foundation garments. Spanx have nothing on a steel and reinforced elastic girdle!

Marilyn famously wore no undergarments of any kind...
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    "Curvy" became fat when fat girls decided they needed to brand themselves with something that made themselves seem more appealing, usually accompanied by somehow trying to indirectly compare themselves to Marylin Monroe. Few things irk me more when someone shaped like a barrel calls themselves "curvy" yet the only curves on them are from the rolls on their back fat.

This.

A search for the hastag 'curvy' on IG will show you about 90% of women don't freakin' understand the meaning.

To me, it's like calling someone athletic because they happen to be slim, or someone skinny because they happen to not be fat. Body types are body types for a reason - let's be accurate here.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Oh look, another one of these threads.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    A defined waist /thread

I had a defined waist at 235 lbs. I don't think this is a comprehensive answer.

I mean, we have to get real. Everyone's body is different.

If you look fat, you're fat. The end. If you have fat rolls and wear plus sizes, you're not curvy. You're fat. Why are people so averse to reality?

You cannot wear a size 24 and not be considered fat. That's it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Curvy to me means starting with skinny to normal weight, toned muscles and a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.7 or less. I don't consider boobs as part of curves. I have seen women with big boobs but no waist and hips, and I do not consider them as curvy. No offense to the women with such body type, you are sexy nonetheless.

If I see flab, even the slightest roll spilling over the jeans' line, love handles etc, I do not consider those as curves. Flab isn't curves, nor are love handles. Love handles mean fat around the waist. But the point to being curvy is NOT having fat around your waist. And flab means fat and no toned muscle. Fat is NOT curves. A curvy body is someone with a good muscle tone with only a thin layer of fat in the right places. And by right places I mean boobs, hips, butt, but NOT waist. Only average to skinny women can have this. Like I said, I do not consider fat as curvy.

Sorry if I sound offensive, but I do not care for PC.

I'm still fat. I still have flab. My stomach goes into two rolls when I sit down.

But my WHR is 0.64, my waist is 29.5" (as of this morning - yay!) and my hips are 46".

Photographical evidence;

aa07cb94ae5211e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg

You don't have to be slim, have a low bf% or noticable muscle tone to be curvy.

And in case you don't believe I am still fat;

f4bdf278abd011e188131231381b5c25_7.jpg

So, no, you don't have to be slim or 'average' to be curvy. That being said, a lot of fat women who claim to be curvy simply aren't, even if they have slight curves when slim.