Are you self conscious working out in public?

Options
2»

Replies

• mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I feel more self conscious at the gym than I do outside. I really don't care what anyone thinks of me outside for some reason. The gym I used to go to was mostly older people, so I didn't care as much, but the new gym I am at is a lot of younger people/college people. I am finally getting to the point in my life though where I really don't care what other people think if me. I figure, at least I am trying. I may be overweight, and huffing and puffing while running, but at least I am doing it and not sitting at home on the couch.

eta - I would much rather work out around stangers than people I know though. I generally work out alone and would feel weird doing it with friends I haven't worked out with before.
  • ktapia08
    ktapia08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to be VERY self conscious when working out in public. I've come to realize why waste time and energy worrying about what other people think? Put that energy into your workout and remember that you are working out for YOU!
  • kale_powered
    kale_powered Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they look at me, but I wonder that in general. It's never stopped me from working out in public. I run outside every day and the area I run through has a couple of really busy streets (but they have the nice, new, huge sidewalks next to them), but most people are just driving to something or if they're out like me, they're biking, walking the dog, or running just like me and I can guarantee that they're all lost in their own thoughts and their headphones just the same. Once I got into my own groove and quit thinking about other people the idea of being self conscious working out in public seems rather unfounded.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym I felt sort of that way, but not any more. I realized that no one there is perfect, and most everyone there is trying to improve fitness, just like me. Except the people who take up space on the machines while doing nothing but texting. I still haven't figured out why they're at the gym.
  • Flugangst
    Flugangst Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    At first. But then I got over it and continued to tell myself that we're all there for the same reason: To exercise. (Well, most everyone. Occasionally there is a clique of kids who just come in to **** around on the equipment.)
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I believe that in general, ALL of us who are trying to improve ourselves respect the effort of all, from the flat, toned hotties to the muscle men to the obese grandmother sweating through her t-shirt.

When I am hiking on the trail and I see a very large person pushing along I give them some verbal encouragement "keep it up!" and a smile to let them know it's a very good thing they are doing.

Virtually no one will be giving you any grief and that miniscule number that do have their own issues.
    Like another poster said, you needn't "gaf" about them!

-V-
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i was just asked by a really pretty and thin co-worker if i wanted to go to the gym and workout with her. i'm really nervous. i know i'm older and much more out of shape. i'm pretty damn self conscious about it now.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely myopic. I don't wear my glasses while working out.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I used to be but I've gotten over it. I still feel kind of silly sometimes like people are judging me or I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong and people are secretly making fun or me or something. Lol.

But you have to remember you are working out to improve yourself so no one else should even matter. At the gym, if someone is even paying that much attention to what you are doing, then that is more their problem than yours. If they focused that attention on themselves instead, they would get a lot more out of their time.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I am, because I turn BRIGHT RED when I exercise and I find it really embarrassing. Somehow I'm usually less concerned at the gym than outside... I think it's because in my neighborhood people always see my walking my dogs and want to talk to me, and I don't want people to talk to me if I'm running. At the gym, most people will ignore me. I do get embarrassed in the group classes though, so I try my best to remind myself that this is not about them, it's supposed to be for me.
  • EJand94
    EJand94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i was just asked by a really pretty and thin co-worker if i wanted to go to the gym and workout with her. i'm really nervous. i know i'm older and much more out of shape. i'm pretty damn self conscious about it now.

I think you should work out with her!! she obviously wants a workout buddy :) maybe it will push you to do a more intense workout than usual? I just worked out in the basement while my mom and my brother were home... and even then i felt weird...