Going to Texas in September

Options

Replies

• tobafa
    tobafa Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm in TX and have horses, goats, a cow and other barn animals. I don't wear boots or a cowboy hat. Ever. I don't have wranglers or spurs or any of the stereotypical things associated with country life other than a truck out of neccesity. I rarely, if ever, listen to country.
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Oh, and our mosquitoes are as big as your head, so be prepared. :laugh:
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yes, you definitely need a cowboy hat, boots and spurs. The good thing about Texas is that nobody here owns cars since we all live on farms and ranches. You know how to ride a horse right? At Enterprise, they rent horses in Texas, not cars. You're going to love it! Can't wait for your arrival!

hahaha best response ever.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    September?! It's hot in Texas in January!!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Probably not. I'm a native Texan and I don't own either. However, you should prepare yourself for brutal heat.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    McKinney is right by my hometown! Very nice area, and not too far out of Dallas you can see some of the neat stuff in Dallas too!
  • brianyeager
    Options
    Those of us who are "men" in Texas own three things:

1. Justin western boots.
    2. Some sort of a hat.
    3. A pickup truck.

Vistors are not expected to have all three, but at least one of these will help you "fit in".

Before I forget, if you have never been on a horse at least walk like you have :). Then again, I live in El Paso which most people say is more Mexico than Texas.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You're coming here in September? Well, welcome to hell. Don't forget your sunscreen, white clothing, wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and water bottle. Let's hope you aren't visiting a dry county. Don't let the fire ants lead you out to pasture. Don't bother booking a hotel with an outdoor swimming pool; the water will be over 80 degrees. Don't forget to say "Yes, ma'am," and "No, sir." And may God have mercy on your soul.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm in TX and have horses, goats, a cow and other barn animals. I don't wear boots or a cowboy hat. Ever. I don't have wranglers or spurs or any of the stereotypical things associated with country life other than a truck out of neccesity. I rarely, if ever, listen to country.

ha im the same. i go horseback riding, but i dont own a hat, boots, or a belt buckle. lol. i also have stretched ears and dreadlocks. i NEVER listen to country. only bluesy rock from the 70's and 80's-90's thrash. :D...but i do have a truck....lol
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    All you need is a gun, gas guzzler, shorts, flip flops, BEER, some kind of tobacco, and a dog.

:laugh:

We Big on the BEER!!! might find u some shine if u lucky :bigsmile: That's the good stuff it'll make ur stecker pand up if u know what I mean.

you probably won't be staying long enough to need any of that stuff sity slicker. It's all good will let u off with a we don't do warnings down here you better by a permit for that.....
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm an hour from McKinney... contrary to popular myth most of us don't wear hats or boots... = ) McKinney is FLAT. Bring shorts and t-shirts. It will be HOT.

I bet not as flat as Lubbock... :wink:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh and I concur... bring your summer clothes... Because we don't have "Indian Summers"... we just have Summer and then slightly cooler than summer.
  • weightlosshippie
    weightlosshippie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wear shorts year round.....Unless I'm at work. But I will be there for a wedding so I will have pants for rehearsal dinner and ceremony etc. I will be around Dallas. An area called McKinney? I am not terribly familiar with the area as I have never been to Texas before.

Erwin Park in Mckinney has great natural surface trails if you're into running or biking while you're down here.
  • breakingthecyclept2
    Options
    It's still hot here in September...... you might want to wear shorts!

This!

Cosign.....September in DFW still feels like summer.....

Just be prepped for possible rain since it will be Hurricane season & down in the southern region of TX it can get pretty bad.
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You're coming here in September? Well, welcome to hell. Don't forget your sunscreen, white clothing, wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and water bottle. Let's hope you aren't visiting a dry county. Don't let the fire ants lead you out to pasture. Don't bother booking a hotel with an outdoor swimming pool; the water will be over 80 degrees. Don't forget to say "Yes, ma'am," and "No, sir." And may God have mercy on your soul.

I like this. It fits! lol

And the manners part is very important. We like manners and if you don't have them, we'll feed you to the critters. Open doors for people; wave at random strangers while driving; nod and smile at everyone. If someone says "hi", say it back. And if you are on a two lane highway with shoulders and are lost or turning, use the shoulders! We put those there for a reason! Don't block traffic; we have things to do! (Personal pet peeve there)
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's still hot here in September...... you might want to wear shorts!

This!
    i third this. coming from a displaced texan in Virginia, soon to be displaced in Guam.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I wear shorts year round.....Unless I'm at work. But I will be there for a wedding so I will have pants for rehearsal dinner and ceremony etc. I will be around Dallas. An area called McKinney? I am not terribly familiar with the area as I have never been to Texas before.
    2 of my cousins live in McKinney.
  • rblauvelt7
    rblauvelt7 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have two cowboy hats that I wore in high school in Ohio. Neither has graced my head since moving to Texas.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Real farm boys wear ballcaps jeans and workboots. If you see someone in a cowboy hat and boots chances are he has never touched a living cow or is a rodeo show boy.
  • SaucyPeas
    SaucyPeas Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You know you'll need to eat armadillo meat, too. Well, road kill in general.

Dont forget about them Prarie Oysters! Gotta eat those too!