Help! Eat to Lose or Intermittent Fasting???

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

**Do not do this...do as other have suggested and keep your calories up and eat nutrient dense healthy food. Starvation is no way to lose weight.
    I could not agree more with this statement...

That being said, I second sidesteal. Good luck!

I don't know about you, but when it comes to nutrition advice, I'm gonna trust the girl with the killer abs ... :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Unless you are morbidly obese, your BMR would never be above 2,000 calories.

My BMR is estimated at about 2100.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Unless you are morbidly obese, your BMR would never be above 2,000 calories.

My BMR is estimated at about 2100.

Your a man... I meant for a woman... should have clarified.

And... I was just using those numbers as an example. The point to my statement is that IF is not about eating below BMR.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

And... I was just using those numbers as an example. The point to my statement is that IF is not about eating below BMR.

You are correct that it is very unlikely for a woman's BMR to be above 2000 calories. That said, anyone who follows the method of eating more to weigh less will always eat OVER their BMR. They don't strive to eat exactly their BMR.

Also, IF has nothing to do with the number of meals you eat. Some people use IF on a weekly, not daily, basis, or are completely varied on when they use IF. The basis of IF is giving yourself a smaller window of time in which to eat, or creating a period during which you will fast (could be an entire day). Honestly, it sounds like you googled Intermittent Fasting so you could sound more erudite in this particular post.
  • cbenzerga
    cbenzerga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. I don't have an exact answer for you. The thing is everyone is different and what works for some, doesn't work for others. They key is changing your lifestyle to something that is sustainable. If you lose weight in a way that is not sustainable and you don't make changes to the way you "live" you life - you won't keep the weight off.

I am sure both of these ways work to some degree - however, which one do you see yourself taking on as your lifestyle?

^^^This has been very true for me also. Any changes you make have to be ones you can keep up with in the long run.. Also You could try eating the amount of calories the "thin" you would eat...ex: you at 120lbs would need x amount of calories/day to maintain...eat that amount and eventually with exercise you will weigh that amount....double check me but thats would i've read and has worked for me.
  • tiffanylee422
    tiffanylee422 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! great question with a ton of great responses.

I don't really have anything super helpful to add, but just thought I'd share that I personally tried IF a few years ago and it didn't work for me. I just never felt great during the fast. Some people report that they feel energized during the fasting stage. Not me.

Low-carb, frequent meals, and intense exercise have worked for me. The problem is sticking to it even AFTER I've reached my goal. A few years ago I got down to my goal weight but then didn't keep up the work once I got there and slowly inched back up to where I started.

I agree with the many other posters who said you really just have to figure out what works for you and what you can stick to! You can do it!!!
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. I don't have an exact answer for you. The thing is everyone is different and what works for some, doesn't work for others. They key is changing your lifestyle to something that is sustainable. If you lose weight in a way that is not sustainable and you don't make changes to the way you "live" you life - you won't keep the weight off.

I am sure both of these ways work to some degree - however, which one do you see yourself taking on as your lifestyle?

^^^This has been very true for me also. Any changes you make have to be ones you can keep up with in the long run.. Also You could try eating the amount of calories the "thin" you would eat...ex: you at 120lbs would need x amount of calories/day to maintain...eat that amount and eventually with exercise you will weigh that amount....double check me but thats would i've read and has worked for me.

The eating the amount that the "thin" you would eat is the philosophy of the fat2fitradio podcast. As long as you are close enough to your goal weight (not 100 pounds or more away, eg.), this should be able to be done w/o dropping below your current BMR.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You are correct that it is very unlikely for a woman's BMR to be above 2000 calories. That said, anyone who follows the method of eating more to weigh less will always eat OVER their BMR. They don't strive to eat exactly their BMR.

Also, IF has nothing to do with the number of meals you eat. Some people use IF on a weekly, not daily, basis, or are completely varied on when they use IF. The basis of IF is giving yourself a smaller window of time in which to eat, or creating a period during which you will fast (could be an entire day). Honestly, it sounds like you googled Intermittent Fasting so you could sound more erudite in this particular post.

Exactly why are you lashing out at me? I clearly stated that I myself have not practiced IF for personal reasons. I have googled it... but not for this post... but out of my own interests. You really should read the whole thread before you make assumptions about one person. Yes, your feeding window can vary... but I posted in response to the individual that suggested that the protocol for IF is to eat below BMR. If I did not defend my point clearly for your tastes, then I apologize, but either way, I was defending IF. I thought you were also.
  • Kandyhar
    Kandyhar Posts: 95 Member
    Options

The eating the amount that the "thin" you would eat is the philosophy of the fat2fitradio podcast. As long as you are close enough to your goal weight (not 100 pounds or more away, eg.), this should be able to be done w/o dropping below your current BMR.

That seems to look right I think... I just went back to the calorie calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and if I change my weight and body fat to my "dream self" i.e. 140 pounds, 22% body fat, it says 1729 calories to maintain... that's what I just set my goal to. What I'm also wondering is if the fat2fit or EMTWL goal has to be adjusted down on non-workout days, or if they're taken into account when you are setting it up (desk job, light excercise, moderate, etc.).... maybe it's just counting on the weekly deficit and you're supposed to eat at your net every day? Just curious because today I'm not going to the gym and I'm at 1700 calories. My BMR is 1534, TDEE is 2110, and with the goal of -20% it's 1688 calories a day.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. i would start with 1700 calories a day and do a mix of ST and Cardio. They will help things along. If you plateau, then add another 200 calories for a month to see if that helps.

Ok!! :-) Thank you... I feel like this is clearing things up for me and I'm excited to continue and see what happens. Going on vacation in 5 days so I'm worried about my workout plan, but will continue counting calories and try to hit the gym with my fiance. Vacations are always tough, but I am tired of having to spend the whole month afterward losing what I gained (I get an R&R every 3 months so in the past it's been a free for all of drinking and eating all my favorite foods. I can't do that any more! Love the comments and appreciate the feedback
    [/quote]

There are some great strength training routines out there for when you're on holiday. My favorites:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/17/advanced-body-weight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-*kitten*/
  • Kandyhar
    Options

That seems to look right I think... I just went back to the calorie calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and if I change my weight and body fat to my "dream self" i.e. 140 pounds, 22% body fat, it says 1729 calories to maintain... that's what I just set my goal to. What I'm also wondering is if the fat2fit or EMTWL goal has to be adjusted down on non-workout days, or if they're taken into account when you are setting it up (desk job, light excercise, moderate, etc.).... maybe it's just counting on the weekly deficit and you're supposed to eat at your net every day? Just curious because today I'm not going to the gym and I'm at 1700 calories. My BMR is 1534, TDEE is 2110, and with the goal of -20% it's 1688 calories a day.

However, when I recalculate it and put no activity "desk job", it says to meet my goal I should eat 1473 calories a day. Just wondering if I do an even 1700 if I'll still see a loss at the end of the week...
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

My understanding is that you eat that much even if you don't work out that day. It should be OK as long as you put the right amount of activity when setting up (lightly active, moderately active, etc.). Yesterday was my rest day and I ate a little less than my 1800 but still above my BMR. I think I was at about 1600 yesterday. I was lazy, though. A lot of computer work so I only got about 6000 steps in. LOL
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We are similiar except for age. I'm 48, 5'5", currently 175 lbs, starting wt. 212.5(in December), goal wt. 129 lbs. MFP has me at 1480 calories, to lose 1 lb a week, which I usually do. My BMR is 1496, my TDEE is 1792. I try to hit between those two levels on a daily basis. I sort of do the zig zag method. I walk on my treadmill at 3.5 mph, 4x a week for 30 minutes. Lately, I've been doing 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night, not consistently, though. I haven't started strength training, but would like to soon. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    However, when I recalculate it and put no activity "desk job", it says to meet my goal I should eat 1473 calories a day. Just wondering if I do an even 1700 if I'll still see a loss at the end of the week...

Whether you use this strategy or that (FItBit, online TDEE calculator, X cals/lb, roll dice a bunch of times) it's just an estimate of how many calories you burn throughout the day. Some are more accurate than others, but they should all be still used with a healthy dose of criticism. The difference between 1700 and 1473 isn't that great. You're not going to gain 100 lbs eating at 100 for a couple weeks (nor will you waste away to nothing eating at 1500). Pick one, split the difference, whatever. Just gauge your progress from there and adjust accordingly.
  • Kandyhar
    Options

Whether you use this strategy or that (FItBit, online TDEE calculator, X cals/lb, roll dice a bunch of times) it's just an estimate of how many calories you burn throughout the day. Some are more accurate than others, but they should all be still used with a healthy dose of criticism. The difference between 1700 and 1473 isn't that great. You're not going to gain 100 lbs eating at 100 for a couple weeks (nor will you waste away to nothing eating at 1500). Pick one, split the difference, whatever. Just gauge your progress from there and adjust accordingly.

Thank you for breaking it down for me... the scale keeps going up (4 pounds the last week) and I don't even see how this is possible since I've been going to the gym and eating better (although a little more than I was)... but hanging in there. :-)
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Binging and fasting doesn't sound like a lifestyle to me, it sounds like an eating disorder. I'm 6', 198 pds (started at 212). I was also given 1472 calories. I think this is a better idea for you. I would suggest just starting with learning how to eat, then adding the exercise in after a month or two, and eating back the majority of those calories. Your body needs fuel to survive!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Thank you for breaking it down for me... the scale keeps going up (4 pounds the last week) and I don't even see how this is possible since I've been going to the gym and eating better (although a little more than I was)... but hanging in there. :-)

How long have you been on the changed diet and how much did you increase your intake by? Your body adapts to the calories you give it (i.e. if you eat less you tend to burn less calories and if you eat more you tend to burn more calories). There are extremes that it cannot overcome (you won't burn 0 calories per day unless you're dead, for example), but within reasonable limits this happens. If you're on a very restrictive diet and suddenly bump up your calories, you'll almost invariably see a weight spike up front (this is the reason I had suggested increasing in small steps, slightly less heart-attack-on-the-scale material that way). This can be a lot of things that I don't fully understand, but it's not all fat. Look at it this way. I had a cheat weekend this past weekend, and this morning my weight was 8 lbs higher than Friday, just 3 days prior. Did I eat more calories (mmmmmm beer) than usual? Yes. Did I eat 3500*8=28,000 calories over my TDEE in that time frame? Of course not.

Stick with it, if it doesn't come off after a few weeks then reassess, but until then try not to sweat it too much.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Binging and fasting doesn't sound like a lifestyle to me, it sounds like an eating disorder. I'm 6', 198 pds (started at 212). I was also given 1472 calories. I think this is a better idea for you. I would suggest just starting with learning how to eat, then adding the exercise in after a month or two, and eating back the majority of those calories. Your body needs fuel to survive!

You are grossly oversimplifying a perfectly healthy eating pattern given a complete misunderstanding of what IF actually is.