Best Running Shoes for Shin Splints?

Options
2»

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store. I was hell bent on 0mm drop minimalist shoes.
    I got a pair of brooks with a 4mm drop and some support for my collapsed arches. I never would have know if I didn't go.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    My son suffered with what he thought were shin splints and was advised by running buddies to just "run through it". So he tried. Just kept getting worse. Finally went and got it checked out and had a stress fracture. Had to wear the boot for 6 weeks. As for switching to barefoot running shoes all at once, I do not advise that. I tried that myself and immediately injured my ankle and had to take about 3 weeks off. Which I hated. Best advice is go to Fleet Feet or some specialty running store and let them analyze your feet and running gait and recommend a shoe for you. I wear the Brooks Ghost 4 and they are AWESOME!
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    bump!!! I love running but my shins KILL durning and after the workout!
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the look of the FiveFingers, New Balance makes a set of "minimalist" running shoes (New Balance Minimus), but are very light weight and have almost no drop (drop between the heel and toe).

I've used both, and love both. I have plantar fasciitis, and find when I run with my minimalist style shoes, my heel hurts much less the next day then when I run with $120 asics.

Also, as some people suggest, try running more with a mid-foot strike as opposed to a heel-strike. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

You don't actually have to run bare-foot to have the advantages of bare-foot style running.

Lastly, don't increase your total weekly milage more than 10% a week. It can break down your muscles over time and cause over-usage injuries!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm definitately bookmarking this post.

We have a ****'s Sporting Goods, Foot Locker, and a Finish Line. Do you think any of the people there would be able to help? Otherwise, I might wait until my podiatrist appointment to buy a new pair.

I'm just guessing, but my ankles feel a LOT better when I rotate/stretch them OUTWARDS, which tells me that maybe I'm overpronating inwards at the ankles?

Shannon
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In my experiance, the guys at a sporting goods store aren't very helpful decding which shoes are right for you unless they happen to be a runner themselves.

They can help you with what is a popular shoe, but of course that might not be the right shoe for you.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm definitately bookmarking this post.

We have a ****'s Sporting Goods, Foot Locker, and a Finish Line. Do you think any of the people there would be able to help? Otherwise, I might wait until my podiatrist appointment to buy a new pair.

I'm just guessing, but my ankles feel a LOT better when I rotate/stretch them OUTWARDS, which tells me that maybe I'm overpronating inwards at the ankles?

Shannon

I wouldn't trust them to even find the right size shoe for you at one of those places, let alone the right TYPE of running shoe. You need a Fleet Feet, RoadRunner Sports, etc., type of place.
  • MonaGatuna
    MonaGatuna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All of these comments are excellent. Nthing Vibrams (though they take some easing into); Nthing softer substrate (trails cured my shin splints right away); Nthing getting advice from a specialty store (go to an independent store, though; the employees at large chain stores don't know anything and I now have a useless but expensive pair of Sauconys under my bed); Nthing cross-training; Nthing orthotics and arch support. The best things that work for me are: getting new shoes, trail running, and arch support inserts. My problem is every time I find a standard shoe I love (I'm on Asics gel nimbus now), the company eventually changes them from a stability to a neutral shoe to increase popularity. So now I'm in the market for a good standard non-barefoot shoe and I'd love to hear your suggestions!
  • JEA4
    JEA4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Can anyone recommend other running stores? I can't find one in my area. (Charlotte nc)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend other running stores? I can't find one in my area. (Charlotte nc)

http://www.charlotterunning.com/

http://www.runforyourlife.com/

I'm sure there are others. Google is your friend.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Shoes are part of the issue. But proper stretching before and after helps a lot too. There's also toe tapping you can do seated in a chair. Just sit on the edge of a chair and tap your toes on the floor, alternating left and right as fast as you can until you can't anymore. Helps keep blood flow going to the muscles. Also, as soon as you get shin splints, deal with them. They'll just get worse if you ignore them.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store. They will find you a great shoe for the shape of your foot and your running goals. What works for one won't work for another.

I work at a running store so I agree with this 100%. Also, get some compression socks or sleeves-they'll work wonders!
  • tdrusk
    tdrusk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Learn how to run correctly. It is not the shoes, it is the runner.

Read http://barefootrunning.com/?page_id=109#begin-here
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Make sure your getting enough calcium- that was my problem!