Avocado

Options
coliema
coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
I never really liked Avocado's, except the only thing I've ever tried was the Avocado spread that my fiancee made :embarassed:
It almost tasted spicy, I just didn't like the taste.

I bought two Avocados yesterday while grocery shopping. I'm going to attempt to make something or prepare it and try it again.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Recipes? Etc?

Please and Thank You! :smile:

Replies

• AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I like to toss one in a food processor with a cucumber and a packet of ranch dip mix and dip my other veggies in it instead of dip. :) Or just eat it with a spoon. LOL

A small cucumber....or half of one.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    My husband loves avacados. When they are on sale I will buy 5-8 and make a big batch of guacamole He can eat them by themselves but I can only eat them in the form of my version of guac :D
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    with a spoon. :)
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I cut one in half, then fill the middle with tuna, and a bit of celery for some crunch.
  • 3jaymom
    3jaymom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to smash it up and spread it on a hamburger instead of mayo.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    plain with salt and freshly squeezed lemon!
  • echandle12
    echandle12 Posts: 82
    Options
    avocado.com and avocado.org have receipes and ways to make it more your flavor. I LOVE avocados, look through what you may like.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I make guacamole and eat it with eggs or bell peppers. or chips :wink:

I smash up the avocado with a fork, squeeze in lemon juice, mince some garlic, dice some onion and tomato. mix it all up. it's the best.

ETA make sure they are a little soft to the touch before you use them. Mine are usually hard from the store and need a few days on the counter to be ready
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I think avocados are one of those foods you either like or don't like. My mother and sister slice them and put them on toast with salt and pepper. I like them mashed with salt and pepper on toast, hamburgers, chips, tacos, burritos, etc. I saw someone the other day who said they use avocado in their tuna instead of mayo. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm going to. It sounds good.

But you might just have to face facts. You might not be an avocado lover. And that's OK! :cry:

Edit: You could also smash up an avocado, add some lemon juice, olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, etc, to make a dressing for a salad. That would be delish!
  • KiwiKim25
    KiwiKim25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I never really liked avocados either. But I will eat them if I sprinkle on some garlic/onion powder and put them face up in the toaster oven.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not but just eat an avocado and add a pinch of salt. Best taste in the world.

At least for me
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying them as kind of a salsa if you have never liked them before. I didn't like them as a kid but now I eat avocados every week they are great for creating a sense of fullness without the guilt. Try this...chop up a couple slices of onion, some tomato, and half an avocado. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. You can also add a spice like red pepper flakes, or cumin, or even seasoned salt if you like. Then squeeze some lime or lemon juice over the top and give it a little toss with your spoon. You can try it with some tortilla chips, or if you like fish it is really good on top of salmon.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I loveeeee guacamole... Smash the avocados, add chopped onion, cilantro, lemon juice and a little bit of garlic salt.. mmmmm!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but I saw chicken salad made with avacado instead of mayo. Everyone raved over it.. it looked pretty good.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love to put about a 1/4 of an avocado on some toasted bread in a turkey sandwich. it goes really well together.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    guacamole.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I also make a mean guacamole. Its always a hit at parties. One time my friend asked if I had mexican in me and I replied "Yes I've had mexican IN me"!

hehehe:devil:
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I only like avocados 2 ways:

Guacamole: Avocado, Tomato, Onion, Bell Peppers, Lime, Salt, Jalapenos. Yum!

Avocado sprinkled with Sea Salt.

I don't like it any other way.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    with a spoon. :)
    That is hardcore avocado eatin' there!:smokin:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    mash up a half of one and spread it on toast

fill the pit with cottage cheese and eat it up