Avocado

Options

Replies

• wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i adore them. but i prefer the small over the large ones. my mom is the opposent..

i hear there is a recipe for chocolate desserts out there that use them.
    i saw a recipe that used them to make ice cream also.
    you can use them in salads, sandwiches (i like on a philli steak), pasta ...

egg noodles + tomatos (dried or fresh) + avocado + bacon/ham/turkey bacon/pancetta + ranch dressing or ranch powder with yogurt + chicken = YUMMY!

my hubby makes that and its sooooooooo good.
    smoothies, and you can find lots of those recipes online.

try searching health websites or google healthy recipe sites to look in.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    In smoothies. As a part of vegan chocolate mousse. Ripe avocado tastes creamy/buttery so it is more versatile than expected. Try this one:
    http://www.marcussamuelsson.com/recipe/avocado-banana-smoothie
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Avocados are great! For a quick lazy person's guacamole blend the following:

Avocado
    Salsa
    Lime Juice
    (optiona) dab of fat free sour cream

It comes out so creamy and good that I've replaced the mayo in my chicken salad sandwich with this.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Salt and pepper and a sprinkle of red wine vinegar or lime juice. Eat with a spoon.
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I never really liked avocados either. But I will eat them if I sprinkle on some garlic/onion powder and put them face up in the toaster oven.

Ooh, that sounds reeeeeeeeeeeeally good. I have a few avocados that I need to use up before they go bad.

That being said, how long do they tend to last, unpeeled?
  • bekah_ann13
    Options
    OH MY!! I could bathe in avocado if I had the money. I eat them all the time!! I love love love it. making it into a dip is always great but I do it by cutting a tiny piece of onion (into tiny, tiny little bits) and dicing a piece of jalapeno (into tiny little bits too) and mixing it until creamy and add some lemon pepper or a squeeze of lemon.
    I also make a tostada with it. I get the shell of the tostada and mash avocado into a spread like consistency and spread it onto the shell, I then add boiled chicken (boil the chicken with garlic powder) and sprinkle some shredded cheese and add some shredded ice burg! YUMM!
    I can eat avocado in slices too just slice then thin and add some lemon pepper to them and eat away!
    I also like to eat it in salads.... in sandwiches too! Just start off small and then you will become an addict (maybe)
  • Operation_Me
    Operation_Me Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Smash it up in a bowl, add sweetener/sugar, milk and ice. Mix/stir and enjoy. Yum.
  • RachelWest86
    Options
    I've seen several variations (and tried one) of this delicious recipe:

http://chefchloe.com/entrees/avocado-pesto-pasta.html
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Turkey, bacon and avocado sandwich
    black bean and corn salad
    http://newlyweds-dish.com/beans-her-way-and-his-way/

OR add it to a taco salad, which I plan on doing tonight. :)
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Avocado - it's what for dinner tonight..
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    do not like it at all..I've tried it several ways just don't like them. My husband loves them with a spoonful fo mayo in the middle..yuk
  • Fitfortat
    Fitfortat Posts: 47
    Options
    Use it in place of mayo, on a whole grain sandwich with turkey. Or I just cut them in half and spray soy sauce on it and eat that way. They are filling and high fiber and they are amazing in place of mayo!
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Here's a fun one: Dice up an avocado and mix it with orange slices or small mandarin oranges...it's a great dessert...or snack...or whatever. It's orangey, creamy goodness!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like avocado tomato sandwich.... just slice and layer.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Sliced with sliced hard-boiled egg and sliced pickles on a sandwich.
    As a spread with lemon juice and salt.
    Guacamole!
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    slice it up and sneak it in your turkey sandwiches, etc.

i LOVE scrambled eggs mixed with avocado cubes...mm

People say its not meant to be cooked so idk if you wanna attempt that...its not spicy at all i think it was just the spread! xox
  • Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tasted the substitute avacado for mayo tuna??? Recipe??
  • trudefaith
    trudefaith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I make a shrimp/crab salad that I have with avacados ( love them)