working full time and have a toddler. When to exercise?

Options

Replies

• bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i have a toddler and a 4-year-old. the older child is usually up by 6:30, so I get up early to work out. This morning, I was up around 5:30, worked out and was done before she was up. We were out the door around 8:30.

On days I have to go into the office, I wake up at 4:20, and we are out the door ideally at 7:20, but sometimes it's a little later.

Both of my girls sleep through the night, so that helps immensely.

eta: I work full-time, I just work from home three days a week. On the days I go into the office, my commute is 90 minutes minimum.
  • krissers9
    krissers9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have an 11 month old, a 3 year old and a 5 year old. I get up at 4:30 to go to the gym, get in an hour and get ready at the gym. I then go to work by 7:30. At first I thought I would never stick to it, but I've been doing it since January and don't mind. I actually feel more awake during the day :)
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me for support. I am a working mom of an active one year old. I have learned that the key to a sucessful workout routine is to be flexible and think outside of the box. Also, don't beat yourself up if you miss a day or two.

Every day is different for me because, when you are a mom of a todler you never know what your day will hold. So some mornings I wake up at 5am so I can go for a run before my son wakes up. If I am working out at night, I will just eat a salad, fruit or a light snack while my husband & son eat dinner. Once my son is tucked into bed I will workout with some weights or do a exercise video.

On weekends, I take my son for runs with the jogging stroller or walks in his wagon. I also, take him to the playground (or the back yard) and run around as if I was a kid...you will be amazed at how good you will feel after :happy: and it doesn't even feel like you were working out.

This past weekend was a rainy weekend and we were stuck in the house. I put on a workout video and layed out two towels. One for me & one for my son. He rolled around on his mat & played cars while I worked out. I want my son to know that exercise can be fun.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids.

I have to work around my husbands schedule because I don't have a sitter. His schedule is hectic. I don't work out a lot at home.

I use my gym time as my break.
  • ashleyp35
    ashleyp35 Posts: 53
    Options
    I am a single parent of a three year old, and I work fulltime. I usually get up at 5 am and workout on my treadmill combined with exercises from the Nike Training Club, which is a free App for the Iphone. I have 5lb and 8lb weights, as well as a medicene ball, really that is all you need to complete the exercises. I am living proof that it can be done.
  • litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yep! I get up and get to the gym before everyone wakes up. I don't work, but I do have 2 little ones and go to school full time. There is also this great website, bodyrock.tv, that posts 12 minute (usually, some are a little longer) workouts for free! Most you can do with just bodyweight, while others you may have to get a little creative using dumbbells or coffee tables etc. to do the moves. It is intense, but only 12 minutes! So, if you don't want to have to get up super early or go to bed super late, this is a great option. You'd be surprised just how effective only 12 minutes can be. I'm pretty hooked on it if you can't tell :) Good luck!
  • kfoxa2010
    kfoxa2010 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have to work out early in the morning before work. Also, when I can, I try to do cardio work that includes my daughter, mostly pushing her in the stroller and that helps me exercise as well as spend time with her. Good luck :)
  • MrsLg
    MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    LO stands for Little One.

Thanks for all the ideas. If I was to exercise after evening meal, how long should I wait?
  • stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1. What does LO mean? I mean, I assume it's the toddler, but...just curious what it actually stands for.

2. I have twin toddlers and work full time. I get my buns outta bed at 5am to exercise. Just started doing this again because it's the best way for me to ensure I get it in without feeling guilty about not spending time with my kids. It's rough, but it all depends on how bad you want it. Anything else is just an excuse.

3. Good luck!!

LO means Little One
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have to get it in before everyone wakes up. I am up at 4:50 working out at least 3 days a week. If I wait until evening, I am just way too tired. If your LO is going to bed that early, you should be able to get to bed at a reasonable time to make the morning workout possible.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30am to get my workout in before my two (5 yr. old and almost 4 yr. old) get up or typically I don't get my workout in. It takes a few weeks to get used to getting up that early, but I find that I am full of energy the rest of the day.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    LO stands for Little One.

Thanks for all the ideas. If I was to exercise after evening meal, how long should I wait?

I usually only wait about a half hour...or however long it takes me to clean up the kitchen after dinner lol
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I have a husband =;P
    I work out soon after I get home. Then he gets home and starts his workout and whichever one is done first, starts dinner. Now, he worked late yesterday so dinner wasn't until 8pm which upset me.. so I need to start getting up in the AM to at least do my cardio.

I'd suggest working out right before dinner, or early in the AM... or if it doesn't affect your sleep- after the kids go to bed.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It's hard, really hard...I always told myself I didn't have time to cook or exercise before starting this lifestyle...but I found it was an excuse. I work 12 hours a day and have 3 year old twins. I wake up at the crack of dawn, work until 5...pick up the kids, I cook dinner, and then take a walk/jog 2 miles I know it's not much but it's 2 miles more than I used to do, lol. I bathe the kids play with them...put them down for bed and then start working again from 9-midnight.
    I work from home, so in the rare occasion I fet a lunch I do a workout DVD. It's difficult but I'm grown acustomed to it now. Good luck and feel free to friend me.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Start with short workouts and low intensity workout. Can't tell you how many times i have walked infront of the T.V. with leslie sansone whils wearing the baby or how mant times i paused JM to entertain him for a bit. Have to get it in when you can, i am not a morning person but find i don't mind staying up to do it. I have a snack midday (maybe on your way home), take the edge off the hunger. Also sometimes if it has been 2-3 hours since i ate, i power through the workout and follow immediately with a protein shake then dinner.
  • agerena007
    agerena007 Posts: 51
    Options
    hey, im a mom of 4 active children. I have been asking the same question for years. Just dont keep asking when should you work out, just do it whenever you can. everyone has their time to do it, I do it before bed and workout hard so that i can fall asleep fast, i also work out during the day but not too hard so i can feel that burst of energy to keep going through my day. then i go to work, ugh...lol. hope the best for you.
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am a mom to near 3 yr old. This is what works for me:

1. I cook most of our meals on Sundays and reheat during the week. I do not exercise on Sundays. This is the day to focus on meal preparations.

2. After I pick up my daughter from the day care in the evenings, when we get home I feed her some fruits and or soup etc and put her in front of her computer. She stays there and watches her programs ( leapfrog, Caillou etc).
    3. I then change into my workout outfit and do what I got to do for that days training session. I try to exercise as soon as I get home so I wont get trapped into the feeling of I'm too tired. DO THIS FIRST IF YOU CAN.
    4. While working out my husband comes home so he takes care of my daughter so I wont have to keep stopping to attend to her.
    4. After workout we all have dinner. That's in many cases less than 30 mins as the food is already prepared.

THIS WORKS SO WELL FOR ME. I WONT TRADE THIS FORMAT FOR NOTHING.

It is pretty time consuming to care for a child, get home and cook, have time to play with that child and find time to exercise.

I hope this helps.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old. I get up at 4:30 and work out from 5-6. You just have to make the time to do it. Do you live somewhere that you could go for a walk during your lunch break?
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I workout when my girls go to bed. I have 4 1/2 year old twins and they typically go to bed about 8pm. I get my workout in then. I could probably do it before they go to bed now as they can entertain themselves but i don't. I've been doing this for a couple years now. It works for me. I eat dinner when I get home from work though, so there is enough time that I don't have a full stomach. I am starving after I workout though, and have a snack.
  • ErinMS04
    ErinMS04 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have a 6 year old and a 5 month old and work full time. It is VERY hard to find the time and the energy but it can be done. I am still struggling with consistancy. My baby only sleeps through the night sometimes and when he doesn't, the thought of working out is ridiculous to me. Even though I know I will feel better after.

I have been walking/running with a neighbor. We promised to keep each other on track with it. We usually go out around 8:30 when my kids are in bed. Its actually nice to get out and get some fresh air and time for myself.

I DEFINITELY agree with the going to the playground and running around with your kid. It is a GREAT workout without feeling like you are exercising. And your kids are happy because you're playing with them!

Even a walk with your kid in a stroller is better than nothing. Or the 30 Day Shred...its only 25 minutes and a great workout. Don't tell yourself you have to do certain things at certain times - just do what you fits in with your day. Good luck!