Why villify white rice?

Options

Replies

• xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    OK! I'm Asian too! 80% of the popularity on this earth thinks that white rice is a fatty food that will make you gain weight. I'm a Norwegian-born Tamil who eats white rice for dinner almost everyday. and NO! I've never gained weight, unless I eat a MCDONALDS big mac beside the rice. So stop thinking that rice is something that will kill weight loss.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/92/6/1468.full

"Elevated intake of white rice is associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes in Japanese women. The finding that is suggestive of a positive association of rice intake in physically inactive men deserves further investigation"

Plenty of interesting consumption and other stats in there too. Not a lot of obesity about.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    It's because the other foods which the people in those countries consume is mostly healthy.

I don't think any food should be vilified, but Americans are fat because of McDonald's.

Oh, we are?

That's so strange because I NEVER eat McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, Kentucky fried chicken, Taco bell, etc.

I've never eaten a hamburger, or any type of meat since I've been alive.

But thanks for letting me know, clearly you know more about my body than I do.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the taste of brown rice, and thats all I cook with in my house. I will eat white rice if we go our for a meal or are at someones house but find it very bland.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

That’s a lot of the problem when people do low carb diets, they get hungry so quickly because carbohydrates serve to expand in the stomach and help fill you up, satisfy you so you don’t keep eating.

Not me. I dont feel hungry at all after a low carb meal. There is a difference between HAVING to eat and WANTING to eat.
  • Crochetluvr
    Options

One thing to keep in mind is that insulin is a biochemical prison guard that prevents your body from using stored fat as an energy source. So if the food you eat all day long is triggering insulin production, your body is unable to burn stored fat. While trying to reduce your body fat significantly, try to chose foods with a lower glycemic index.

Stop talking about things you don't understand.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

didn't you know she's an endocrinologist

Obviously something someone found online holds much more weight. ;)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

One thing to keep in mind is that insulin is a biochemical prison guard that prevents your body from using stored fat as an energy source. So if the food you eat all day long is triggering insulin production, your body is unable to burn stored fat. While trying to reduce your body fat significantly, try to chose foods with a lower glycemic index.

"James Krieger is the founder of Weightology, LLC. He has a Master’s degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master’s degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months. His former weight loss clients include the founder of Sylvan Learning Centers and The Little Gym, the vice president of Costco, and a former vice president of MSN. He has given over 75 lectures on weight loss-related topics to physicians, dietitians, and other professionals.

In addition to helping people achieve their weight loss goals, James is a published scientist and author. He has published weight loss and nutrition-related research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. James is the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, an online magazine which delivers scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 10 years, and has written over 250 articles on these topics. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based approach to health and well-being."

I'll take one of the top researchers in the field of nutrition over the word of a random forum poster.
  • jlawson113
    jlawson113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am not a stereotype...I eat a lot of rice and drive really slow just like the rest of you
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

"James Krieger is the founder of Weightology, LLC. He has a Master’s degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master’s degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months. His former weight loss clients include the founder of Sylvan Learning Centers and The Little Gym, the vice president of Costco, and a former vice president of MSN. He has given over 75 lectures on weight loss-related topics to physicians, dietitians, and other professionals.

In addition to helping people achieve their weight loss goals, James is a published scientist and author. He has published weight loss and nutrition-related research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. James is the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, an online magazine which delivers scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 10 years, and has written over 250 articles on these topics. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based approach to health and well-being."

I'll take one of the top researchers in the field of nutrition over the word of a random forum poster.

But she is an endocrinologist bro
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I think it becomes an easy target, but in the end comes to calories in vs. calories out, metabolism, and genetics.

I agree. Love white rice! Mmmm....Korean sticky rice....
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Totally agree!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    Lots of people have credentials, written books, given lectures. And just as many have different views on the same subject. When it comes to my body, I watch for signals and take my cues from it. And, with diabetes, I prefer to be advised by a person who has studied the disease and its effects....like an endocrinologist.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's because the other foods which the people in those countries consume is mostly healthy.

I don't think any food should be vilified, but Americans are fat because of McDonald's.
    No Americans are fat because of overconsumption of calories. I know a lot of people who DON'T eat McDonald's (or any fast food for that matter) that are overweight. Many of my "vegan" friends are overweight.
    It's not a mystery. Overconsumption is the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Buh Buh Buh calories in - calories out doesn't sell fitness mags and supplements!
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Lots of people have credentials, written books, given lectures. And just as many have different views on the same subject. When it comes to my body, I watch for signals and take my cues from it. And, with diabetes, I prefer to be advised by a person who has studied the disease and its effects....like an endocrinologist.

Even an imaginary internet forum endocrinologist?
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Moved to China and after almost two years of eating white rice two times a day I decided I should switch to the healthy brown type. Well I found out it is not only cheaper, BUT also tastes like crap. WHO KNEW.
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

If this internet forum is so imaginary, why would you come here or bother to post? We dont exist....right?

I dont agree with your original statement. I dont believe people should be told they dont know what they are talking about. Thats all.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

If this internet forum is so imaginary, why would you come here or bother to post? We dont exist....right?

Nice reading comprehension.
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    I know.....Its all a mirage....LOL!!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Careful, you are arguing with the real Ron Swanson.

ron-swanson-food-is-scared-of-me-480x274.png
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    Careful, you are arguing with the real Ron Swanson.

ron-swanson-food-is-scared-of-me-480x274.png

LOL!