Metabolism problems! Please help

Options
Hi guys. I gained 80+ lbs during pregnancy after eating too many pastas and getting little exercise I'm 6 months post-natal now and I have joined the gym as well. I don't have problems with exercise. I do 60 mins of cardio plus some weight training. I also do yoga at home and go for regular walks. I don't have a problem with food or portion control now as I'm never hungry (is that normal? ). But still I see no weightloss. Not even an inch? I put it down to my slow metabolism which I know I have. What can be done to correct this? I already exercise, drink a ton of water and have green tea. But yes, my meals are rubbish. I eat once a day, sometimes 2 times. I have no idea what and how much to eat. I usually eat salads with goats cheese, protien shakes, fruit for fibre, steamed veg. That's it. Not much variety. I am also a vegetarian.
Please suggest what I should be eating and how often and have enough fibre in my diet as I have constipation and piles.

Thanks!
Anna

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    With the medical issues you have, it would not be a bad idea to double check all advise with your doctor...

my doctor told me that applesauce, apple juice and bananas can be binding. In my house, we all got a little more regular when I stopped buying apple juice and started buying white grape and pear juice.

there are 2 small changes that you can make to add fiber without hardly noticing it--wheat germ and sunflower seeds both have 1g of fiber and 1.5g of protein per tablespoon. Whole grain breads are good too--I know Brownberry makes several that are higher in fiber. During one of my pregnancies, I didn't eat a single slice of white bread at home--I ate a bread called "health nut".

prunes and dates are good for you and promote regularity.

do you eat eggs? scrambled egg and slice of whole grain toast would be a filling breakfast....a bowl of chunky vegetable soup and a side salad would be fine for lunch... maybe a veggie protein burger and steamed veggies for dinner?
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You can start by going to this website and putting in your current stats and goals. If you need help let me know.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Sometimes we under eat and stagnate our weight loss, sometimes we dont record our meals properly, sometimes it just takes a little time. If you do not have any health issues, then you should do a little research on what your goals should be. I know there are quite a few Vegans on here, I'm not one of them but you probably need to up your protein.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough. Your body is in starvation mode. This article is from one of the members here. Read it it's awesome.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Use the food and exercise diary's and force yourself to you all your calories including the extras you gain from exercising.
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough. Your body is in starvation mode. This article is from one of the members here. Read it it's awesome.

Use the food and exercise diary's and force yourself to you all your calories including the extras you gain from exercising.

How to do come up with this conclusion?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But yes, my meals are rubbish. I eat once a day, sometimes 2 times. I have no idea what and how much to eat.
    Using the food logging diary here and making it public would be a good start.

Is eating three meals a day a problem ?
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    You arent eating enough...being vegetarian is no excuse for the lack of food in your life either. Being vegetarian just means not eating meat. So, meatless or eggplant lasagna or parmesan, salads, soups, pasta, veggie burgers, desserts, etc.

SOOOOOO much out there for vegetarians, get eating!! You need more throughout the day, even if you must force yourself!
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options

It is true about your body going into starvation mode. Your body will start to decrease and "eat away" at its own muscle mass and make your body brittle, weak, dehydrated, malnourished, etc. Look at people who have anorexia...very concerned for people who do not want to believe your body can be put into starvation mode.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Start with the suggestions for logging food and exercise to get a good picture of where you are. This would help the folks on the web site as much as it will help you.

As a vegiterian I might suggest a bit of Creatine supplement.

Creatine is a nitrogenous organic acid that occurs naturally in vertebrates and helps to supply energy to all cells in the body, primarily muscle. This is achieved by increasing the formation of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Creatine is naturally produced in the human body from amino acids primarily in the kidney and liver.
    It is transported in the blood for use by muscles. Creatine is not an essential nutrient, as it is manufactured in the human body from L-arginine, glycine, and L-methionineIn humans and animals, approximately half of stored creatine originates from food (mainly from meat). A study, involving 18 vegetarians and 24 non-vegetarians, on the effect of creatine in vegetarians showed that total creatine was significantly lower than in non-vegetarians.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. But don't listen to all the rubbish about "starvation modes", I doubt very much you are achieving such a deficit that you're killing yourself.

What you *may* be doing is influencing a metabolic slowdown. If you don't eat enough and exercise too much, your hormones are gonna tell your body to hang onto all the energy reserves it has as tight as possible. It wants to survive, and if it detects trouble out there in the world, it adapts.

Your lack of loss may also be attributable to fluid retention (especially if your meals are high in sodium).

I would also advise getting a few tests done with your doc - thyroid and blood sugar levels especially.
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Constipation and slow metabolism are 2 big signs of Hypothyroid. I'd suggest seeing your doctor.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

She states she is only eating once or twice a day and mostly very low calorie foods. It's kind of obvious, but I could be wrong. We could all be wrong. It should say eat all of your calories. Sorry. Saying you are in starvation mode does not imply you are killing yourself. That is over dramatic and it's not rubbish. It just means your body is concerned that you are starving so it starts to hoard the calories you take in and not allow you to burn them. I have been doing a lot of research and it has come up again and again. I think this is my problem. I hardly ever ate and kept gaining weight. I am struggling to eat as much as this site suggests but I am doing it to try and restart my metabolism.
  • ifyanna
    ifyanna Posts: 25
    Options
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Constipation and slow metabolism are 2 big signs of Hypothyroid. I'd suggest seeing your doctor.

I too have heard of women developing thyroid issues after having a child. You should check with your doctor.
  • ifyanna
    Options
    With the medical issues you have, it would not be a bad idea to double check all advise with your doctor...

my doctor told me that applesauce, apple juice and bananas can be binding. In my house, we all got a little more regular when I stopped buying apple juice and started buying white grape and pear juice.

there are 2 small changes that you can make to add fiber without hardly noticing it--wheat germ and sunflower seeds both have 1g of fiber and 1.5g of protein per tablespoon. Whole grain breads are good too--I know Brownberry makes several that are higher in fiber. During one of my pregnancies, I didn't eat a single slice of white bread at home--I ate a bread called "health nut".

prunes and dates are good for you and promote regularity.

do you eat eggs? scrambled egg and slice of whole grain toast would be a filling breakfast....a bowl of chunky vegetable soup and a side salad would be fine for lunch... maybe a veggie protein burger and steamed veggies for dinner?

Thanks for your reply. I do eat eggs! The meal ideas are great I'll stay away from bananas now. I have also been advised to have some prunes in my diet to help with the constipation! Thanks, will let you know how I'm getting on.
  • ifyanna
    Options
    You can start by going to this website and putting in your current stats and goals. If you need help let me know.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Sometimes we under eat and stagnate our weight loss, sometimes we dont record our meals properly, sometimes it just takes a little time. If you do not have any health issues, then you should do a little research on what your goals should be. I know there are quite a few Vegans on here, I'm not one of them but you probably need to up your protein.

According to the calculator I should be eating around 1500. I currently eat around a 1000. Thanks for your reply
  • ifyanna
    Options

Brilliant article! Thanks for the link. Will try my best to keep my diaries updated!
  • ifyanna
    Options
    But yes, my meals are rubbish. I eat once a day, sometimes 2 times. I have no idea what and how much to eat.
    Using the food logging diary here and making it public would be a good start.

Is eating three meals a day a problem ?

Will make my diaries public right away!

No, it's not a problem, just never feel hungry, and with a very demanding 6 month old, I end up not eating enough. Thanks for your reply!!
  • ifyanna
    Options
    You arent eating enough...being vegetarian is no excuse for the lack of food in your life either. Being vegetarian just means not eating meat. So, meatless or eggplant lasagna or parmesan, salads, soups, pasta, veggie burgers, desserts, etc.

SOOOOOO much out there for vegetarians, get eating!! You need more throughout the day, even if you must force yourself!

You are right! Thanks for your reply
  • ifyanna
    Options
    Start with the suggestions for logging food and exercise to get a good picture of where you are. This would help the folks on the web site as much as it will help you.

As a vegiterian I might suggest a bit of Creatine supplement.

Creatine is a nitrogenous organic acid that occurs naturally in vertebrates and helps to supply energy to all cells in the body, primarily muscle. This is achieved by increasing the formation of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Creatine is naturally produced in the human body from amino acids primarily in the kidney and liver.
    It is transported in the blood for use by muscles. Creatine is not an essential nutrient, as it is manufactured in the human body from L-arginine, glycine, and L-methionineIn humans and animals, approximately half of stored creatine originates from food (mainly from meat). A study, involving 18 vegetarians and 24 non-vegetarians, on the effect of creatine in vegetarians showed that total creatine was significantly lower than in non-vegetarians.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will have a look at creatine!
  • ifyanna
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. But don't listen to all the rubbish about "starvation modes", I doubt very much you are achieving such a deficit that you're killing yourself.

What you *may* be doing is influencing a metabolic slowdown. If you don't eat enough and exercise too much, your hormones are gonna tell your body to hang onto all the energy reserves it has as tight as possible. It wants to survive, and if it detects trouble out there in the world, it adapts.

Your lack of loss may also be attributable to fluid retention (especially if your meals are high in sodium).

I would also advise getting a few tests done with your doc - thyroid and blood sugar levels especially.

Thanks for your reply! And yes, i forgot to mention, but I have low blood sugar and I'm often dizzy and experience blackouts! It's been ages since I had my thyroid checked! Will ask my doc when I see her next!