How long does it take you to run a 5k?

Options
124»

Replies

• muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I ran a 3 miler yesterday and I also PR'd at 29.30. I was running 42 minutes when I started....

It is so nice to see progress it is a NSV for sure. Great job on yours.
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,919 Member
    Options
    My PR for a 5k is 33 minutes, that was a few years ago. A friend and I just walked/ran a 5K this past Saturday and we finished in 37:30. There were a couple of hills/slopes, but for the most part it was fairly flat. I've been running off and on for about 4 years.

My first goal when doing a race/run is to finish. My second goal is to hopefully not be last.

Good luck and have fun!
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to run my first 5k this Saturday! I am so nervous! So far, my training tells me that I should be in between 24-27 mins. That is my goal for the race! I want to place in my age group so I am going to be giving it ALL that I have!! The pain is only temporary! Placing in my age group will be freaking awesome!!!!
  • TidoWyla
    TidoWyla Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started running in January and I've done four of them so far, my best is high 28. My first was 31:45. I keep getting better with each one so we'll see..... I have another one in a week and a half and I'm starting to train for a 10k that's in September. My goal is always just to finish!
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I say I run, but I really do a run/jog/walk thing. I run until my HRM goes off at the upper bound, then jog/walk until it lowers to a certain level, then run again. I do this because if I just push through I'm a horrible sneezing/runny nosed mess for 48 hours after word.

With that said I'll get to the point :smile: I have not run a 5K, but I have done 3.2miles continuous around my city block. My best time is 40 minutes, and I started when the weather got warm here in southeastern MI (about March). When I started it took me 60 minutes. I do this on Tuesdays and Thursdays with heavy lifting on M-W-F.

@Everyone: Is this time normal for a "newb"?
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    I have not run in a 5K race, but my usual running route is just inder 4 miles and I finish that in about 40min. I started running about a year ago.
  • Jules221
    Jules221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    40-45 minutes for me. Trying to get it down to 30 minutes, but I am not much of a runner and just started back into it a couple of weeks ago.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Never actually ran a 5K but im sure I could to it in less than 22min. I average less than 8 min mile on my longer runs (9 miles) and my best pace to date on my longer runs is 7:36. Thats providing its not all uphill on a 40 percent incline. Also Ive been running for about 2 years now the last year ive really beefed it up go running every day at my lunch time gives me something to do besides stuff my face.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've been running sporadically for about 6 or 7 months, and have done four 5ks in that time. I PR'd last weekend at my first chip-timed race at 29:11.

My boyfriend has been running for several years and he PR'd last weekend as well, sub-20:00.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If I finish my first in 45 minutes I'll be thrilled - well done!

I'm running/walking my first one this Saturday,
    and this is my goal. I'm going to run/walk as
    fast as I can while keeping my heart rate under
    150. (Doctor's orders) Last night I was up to 4.5
    MPH, and was just under 150. (on an incline)

When I started in January, I was at 2.5 MPH!

I ended up finishing in 42:52 minutes. (chiptime)
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I've been running seriously for about 6 months, I ran my first real 5k this weekend and I did it in 35 minutes....and that was with a VERY slow start (the starting line was PACKED!) and I walked for 1 minute at mile 2. I could definitely push myself harder and do better next time.