Eat less, exercise more............

Options

Replies

• retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Great post. Been there done that diet (s). I'm done "dieting". I just know I have to get my butt up and exercise and make better food choices. Hope I can make my goal weight by Christmas.:happy:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    People are funny.

"How much have you lost now?"

<<About 60>

"How did you do it?"

<<2000 calories a day, and 1/2 hour every morning on an elliptical machine. Plain old diet and exercise>>

And you can just see the disappointment. There's no easy way? Nope , there's no easy way.

Great job gang. :bigsmile:

This is SOOOO true! Everybody wants to know my "secret".

My secret: I stopped eating crap (almost all the time!) and started moving. And vowed to do it every day as long as I live. The end.

People want the weight loss process to be both fast and temporary, with permanent results. Not gonna happen.:wink:

The secret is. . .there is no secret.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Great post! I can definitely relate.
    Sometimes I wish I could convince my overweight family member and friends that simply eating right and exercising works. I mean I would love to save them the struggle that I went through and shouldn't my success be evidence enough to convince them? It is so frustrating to watch them try and fail on diets. It seems like such a waste of their time and energy. I feel so bad for them because I know what they are going through. But I guess we all have to come to the realization on our own.
  • burbuja
    burbuja Posts: 32
    Options
    Congratulations Jeannie!

I understand what you mean the same thing happened to me after years and years of yo yo dieting I finally found the ''secret'' be conscious of what you eat by this... I mean make good and healthy choices and exercise at least 30 minutes 5 x a week.

I think your doing an awesome job not only losing the weight in a healthy way but because you took the time to post this.

Have a great week!
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    nolachick - Totally agree with you! :smile:

Congratulations, Jeannie! You made my day.
    I'm recommitted to MFP and know I just have to do it today and everyday. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said.

I also get frustrated with those around me who need to make a lifestyle change. But it takes such an inner drive to be successful at this that the only thing I can do is show them the tools.

The other problem is people are so ingorant about the food they eat. And I'm not even talking about chemicals, just calories. We have huge education gap when comes to nutrition education. When I started this life style change I spent two weeks just researching what I was eating, before I made any real changes.

I used to love going out to eat. Now I cringe when I here ads on the radio. Not that I don't get out every once in a while. But when I know anything on the "healthy" menu is 'just' 1000 calories I get pissed off that said establishment is taking advantage of people's ignorance.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I used to love going out to eat. Now I cringe when I here ads on the radio. Not that I don't get out every once in a while. But when I know anything on the "healthy" menu is 'just' 1000 calories I get pissed off that said establishment is taking advantage of people's ignorance.

I saw a commercial trying to pass Nutella off as healthy. It was a mom talking about hhow her kids love it and she uses it to get them to eat healthy food like WHEAT BREAD!!!!!

I was really upset... if that isn't completely obvious.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Words of wisdom and inspiration from out beloved Jeannie. Love you to bits my dear. Been reading a bit lately and in my reading I found one thing that is absolutley true.

Losing weight is simple but it's not easy.

Alot of people think simple and easy are the same. but there not.
    Saying something is simple implies that it is not complicated. And losing weight is not complicated. Eat a moderate amount of healthy food and excersise.

Saying something is easy implies that it requires little to no effort. And most of us here know that when it comes to losing weight, no part of ithe process requires little to no effort.

People who ask "how you did it" are never looking for a simple way. They are always looking for an easy way. There is no easy way. They usually find that dissapointing.

Hall of fame football coach Vince Lombardi said it best- "The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."

Those of us who realize that have found the true weight loss secret.

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • bretharpe
    Options
    So we as American's eat WAY to much. I was one of these people. I fixed my plate and if I wanted more.....I went back and fixed more. I finally reached a point where I was tired of being over weight and started to do something about it. This is silly and may sound stupid, but it has worked for me. I have co-workers who do the same now! When I fix my plate I fix it like the "old me" , then I take a knife and cut each portion in half and the other goes back in to the pot or pan.(That was how I started).

I now fix a plate like the "new me" 1/2 the portion!!! You may somtimes be a little hungry after that is when you fix a large glass of water and after that you will be full. I think a lot has to do with a mental thing. I do not drink carbonated beverages ( coke, sprite, etc). I cannot tell you how much better I feel since I cut them out of my life!!!!!! I feel sooooooo much better. The first week sucks- really badly! You then start to feel so much better!

My one weakness is growing up in the south- we love our " Sweet Tea". I am not sure that this is an addiction that I can break. I have tried. I would rather not eat than to not have my "Sweet Tea"! =)

Breanna
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I saw a commercial trying to pass Nutella off as healthy. It was a mom talking about hhow her kids love it and she uses it to get them to eat healthy food like WHEAT BREAD!!!!!

I was really upset... if that isn't completely obvious.
    OMG:angry: I HATE that commercial!!

"I use Nutella to get my kids to eat healthy foods" she says, as she slaths it on a peice of white bread.

Talk about generating ignorance:grumble:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    So we as American's eat WAY to much. I was one of these people. I fixed my plate and if I wanted more.....I went back and fixed more. I finally reached a point where I was tired of being over weight and started to do something about it. This is silly and may sound stupid, but it has worked for me. I have co-workers who do the same now! When I fix my plate I fix it like the "old me" , then I take a knife and cut each portion in half and the other goes back in to the pot or pan.(That was how I started).

I now fix a plate like the "new me" 1/2 the portion!!! You may somtimes be a little hungry after that is when you fix a large glass of water and after that you will be full. I think a lot has to do with a mental thing. I do not drink carbonated beverages ( coke, sprite, etc). I cannot tell you how much better I feel since I cut them out of my life!!!!!! I feel sooooooo much better. The first week sucks- really badly! You then start to feel so much better!

My one weakness is growing up in the south- we love our " Sweet Tea". I am not sure that this is an addiction that I can break. I have tried. I would rather not eat than to not have my "Sweet Tea"! =)

Breanna

Breanna, Yeah for you!! I started with using the standard servings on the box. (I now dont eat too much from a box) I remember reading the mac and cheese box and saying:noway: 4 servings in a box??? I could eat almost the whole thing myself!!

6 triscuits? 1 oz of cheddar cheese?

Then I bought a scale...........and I still use it, even on maint. because as my Mom would say, " My eyes are bigger than my stomach!"

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Hall of fame football coach Vince Lombardi said it best-

"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work"

:flowerforyou: :heart:

I love this Andrew...........almost as much as I love you!!:heart:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I agree with everything said.

I also get frustrated with those around me who need to make a lifestyle change. But it takes such an inner drive to be successful at this that the only thing I can do is show them the tools.

The other problem is people are so ingorant about the food they eat. And I'm not even talking about chemicals, just calories. We have huge education gap when comes to nutrition education. When I started this life style change I spent two weeks just researching what I was eating, before I made any real changes.

I went to the gym with a friend one Sunday morning. We worked on the treadmill and by the machine we had burned approx 250 calories. When we were done my friend asked me over for breakfast.

I said sure, and then inquired what she was cooking. She said that after all our hard work we deserved a healthy breakfast, so she was making sausage and white gravy with homemade biscuits!!:noway: If I wanted she would also scamble some eggs.

I then explained that we had burned 250 calories and she was proposing a 1000 calorie, 60 gram of fat, breakfast to supplement our hard work.

I never did get my breakfast:grumble:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself "monthly" :happy:

10/15/2009 169.4
    09/16/2009 172.8
    08/13/2009 171.8
    07/15/2009 177.5
    06/11/2009 177.0
    05/14/2009 180.5
    04/15/2009 182.0
    02/02/2009 186.5
    01/03/2009 189.0 :noway:

I have LOST 20 pounds. Accoridng to my height/weight chart for 5'8" woman should be:
    146-167 pounds. So my 2nd goal is to weigh 159 pounds BEFORE my birthday March 2010.

Blessings! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Eva

Go to the supermarket and pick up two 10 pound bags of potatoes - together, in your arms - and feel what 20 pounds really is like. It's a lot heavier than you think! You've been carrying around THAT much weight and now you don't have it on.

Puts a lot of things in perspective.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    OMG:angry: I HATE that commercial!!

"I use Nutella to get my kids to eat healthy foods" she says, as she slaths it on a peice of white bread.

Talk about generating ignorance:grumble:

I think I sat and stared at the television in shock for about 2 minutes after that commercial.

I still get amazed at what people don't know. I was asked the other day if a potato was a vegetable... Next thing you know they are going to start telling people to dip their fries in Nutella so they'll be healthy...:angry:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I weigh myself "monthly" :happy:

10/15/2009 169.4
    09/16/2009 172.8
    08/13/2009 171.8
    07/15/2009 177.5
    06/11/2009 177.0
    05/14/2009 180.5
    04/15/2009 182.0
    02/02/2009 186.5
    01/03/2009 189.0 :noway:

I have LOST 20 pounds. Accoridng to my height/weight chart for 5'8" woman should be:
    146-167 pounds. So my 2nd goal is to weigh 159 pounds BEFORE my birthday March 2010.

Blessings! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Eva

Go to the supermarket and pick up two 10 pound bags of potatoes - together, in your arms - and feel what 20 pounds really is like. It's a lot heavier than you think! You've been carrying around THAT much weight and now you don't have it on.

Puts a lot of things in perspective.
    NICE!!:flowerforyou:
  • Koreapsu
    Options
    Well done!

People do tend to over-complicate things.

Energy In>Energy Out = Gain Weight
    Energy In<Energy Out = Lose Weight

Seems like you see a lot of people looking for shortcuts these days, but you've got it alright. Get off the couch
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Jeanie I am so glad you are still here. I have not been on in over 6 months and I was afraid everyone from last winter was gone. Great post, great job. I sort of got off the beating track for awhile but did not let it get out of hand. Guess I did learn something from mfp...:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Jeanie I am so glad you are still here. I have not been on in over 6 months and I was afraid everyone from last winter was gone. Great post, great job. I sort of got off the beating track for awhile but did not let it get out of hand. Guess I did learn something from mfp...:wink:

HEY!! Great to have you back!!

Come on over to Proud thread!!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Well done!

People do tend to over-complicate things.

Energy In>Energy Out = Gain Weight
    Energy In<Energy Out = Lose Weight

Seems like you see a lot of people looking for shortcuts these days, but you've got it alright. Get off the couch

To me, this IS the easy way out!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!