Fact or Fiction?

Options
tlhorsley
tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
Protein.

How much can the body absorb during one meal?

Fact or Fiction, anything beyond 40g turns in to waste?

For every "study" I find saying do not consume more than 40g per meal I find another one saying that is just a myth.

Asked a trainer at the gym and he said it is closer to 20g's....

Totally confused. I want to consume enough protein throughout the day but don't want to waste any...

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump....This is something that I have been told different things about as well...I consume at least 60-70 when I drink one protein shake...I used to consume more at times but was told that this is not a good idea...It's just a waste of protein basically b/c your body will only use so much of it...So what is the REAL story???

Great topic!! :)
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended that I get 20g several times a day and try to have protein in each snack I eat. She didn't say anything about not going over a certain amount or anything like that- just try not to be under.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    So....

Are you thinking if you down a 20 oz Porterhouse your body doesn't bother to digest most of it because there is too much protein?

This is a total myth, your body digests protein same as fat and carbs, you can't eat "too much" to digest.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at stuff on a per meal basis, the daily nitrogen balance is dependent on calorie balance for one thing - ie are you gaining / losing / maintaining fat and generally on the grams protein per lb body weight.

"The key issues are the rate at which the gastrointestinal tract can
    absorb amino acids from dietary proteins (1.3 to 10 g/h) and the liver’s capacity
    to deaminate proteins and produce urea for excretion of excess nitrogen"

according to http://home.exetel.com.au/surreality/health/A Review of Issues of Dietary Protein Intake in Humans.pdf

I can see where a limit of 10g/h might lead to 20g per meal on the basis of two hours to absorb it.
  • tlhorsley
    Options
    So....

Are you thinking if you down a 20 oz Porterhouse your body doesn't bother to digest most of it because there is too much protein?

This is a total myth, your body digests protein same as fat and carbs, you can't eat "too much" to digest.

I don't know, that is why I am asking. I want to make sure I maximize the amount of protein I am eating/drinking.
  • tlhorsley
    Options
    Anyone?
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...Would love to know if anyone knows this info at all...
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's not a myth. Your body can only absorb so much protein in a given time period, though I admit the science of the study I was reading was a bit over my head.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I had never heard that but I googled it and the first three articles said it's a myth. One even had supporting studies.

Intuitively, I would think it's not true because we're hunter/gatherers biologically. We could get protein only several meals per week, or less. It would behoove our body to store it.

I think how it works is the body disassembles the compounds we eat and reassembles them as needed. This is why we have the term "essential fatty acids". They're the one thing our body must get directly from our diet. It can't create them from other compounds.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    wow..so many contrasting answers..
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The body only needs 40-60 grams of protein to build and maintain muscle mass. You can however become toxic on too much protein. I had a friend how was having 80-120 grams per day. He became lethargic, tired, jaundice and kept doing it. Finally doctors realized he was poisoning himself. The excess protein caused his liver to overwork and thus his liver shut down and subsequent organs. If it would have been a few weeks longer before treated, he probably would not be around.
    Stick with 40-60, that will be plenty.
    And, to help breakdown proteins, drink some apple cider vinegar. It helps increase with protein digestion.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Intuitively, I would think it's not true because we're hunter/gatherers biologically. We could get protein only several meals per week, or less. It would behoove our body to store it.

I'm pretty sure we don't store protein.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question is a resounding "Yes!"

Remember that too much of a good thing is a bad thing. In all my research on this, here is the best statement I ever came across...

So what’s the take home message here? The research on this isn’t 100% crystal clear as there are a number of variables to be taken into account: Trainee age, training intensity, total amount of protein given per day, type of protein administered, and so on.

The body will not store excess protein, but I don't think there is a specific number that is the same for everyone.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Yeah, I guess it's more that we store the amino acids? I don't know. Here's a good article. I should've used the term "essential amino acids" above, probably (not essential fatty acids).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/413631-does-the-body-store-protein/
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I can see where a limit of 10g/h might lead to 20g per meal on the basis of two hours to absorb it.

Absorption time would be dose dependent. Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that a meal of 60g would just take much longer to fully absorb?
  • marsbarxo
    marsbarxo Posts: 7
    Options
    The body only needs 40-60 grams of protein to build and maintain muscle mass. You can however become toxic on too much protein.

^^this. unlike fat and carbs, your body does not store extra protein. it basically uses what it needs from the protein that you consume, and gets rid of the rest. you can be toxic on too much protein, but it is also important to consume enough (although it is very very difficult for the average person to become protein deficient)
  • waldo56
    Options
    It's not a myth. Your body can only absorb so much protein in a given time period, though I admit the science of the study I was reading was a bit over my head.

The way the myth was conceived was basically the construct of people bad at math who don't understand systems.

Protein can only be absorbed so fast from various foods. This is pretty well known and the data is readily available.
    Somebody made the two following INCORRECT assumptions:
    1) That stacking is not allowed
    2) That the absorbtion takes place fully in the stomach, and the stomach is cleared within a fairly short period of time.

Combine those two assumptions with the average protein absorbtion rate for food and you "discover" that there is maximum daily limit of protein that the body can absorb, and that the limit is quite low.

The people that made that logical leap and made that "discovery" apparently ignored the data about protein utilization, that is the % of protein absorbed from various foods is dependant on the food itself and not the timing of eating; this myth absolutely has to be false if that is true.

The problem is that both those assumptions are wrong. Protein absorbtion from a particular food can go on for many hours into the small intestine. While protein absorbtion from that meal will continue at the maximum rate for the food, the digestive system can handle multiple meals simultaneously. Thus the digestive system is stacking absorbtion and has much, much longer to do its thing than the creators of the myth thought.

Like I said, just like there is a maximum absorbtion rate there is also a utilization rate. Funny thing is these tend to go hand in hand. Studies tend to include both pieces of information. If the body has a maximum daily absorbtion, utilization rate cannot exist as maximum daily absorbtion would be a boundary condition.

And really common sense is all that is needed to debunk this myth. You don't for real believe that our body can only process one of the big 3 macronutrients at a limited quantity per day. The sniff test for any sort of thing like this is "would this be a good or bad evolutionary adaptation", having a limited capacity to process one of the macronutriets is obviously bad evolution.

Where did this myth come from? It is obvious. There are a lot of people always fearful of they or them, seeing conspiracy in everything. Many people beleive that the need for elevated protein is just a myth created by suppliment companies and perpetuated by fitness mags to sell you stuff. This is not helped by the pitiful RDA on food labels and lack of any sort of useful official gov't guidance. Instead of performing actual trials on themselves to determine protein need (though creating an n=1 experiment for most is not something they are capable of doing well), they instead find ways to critque and push back against what they see as a conspiracy by greedy corporations by trying to bend science to fit what they want it to say.

In this instance though they are flat out WRONG. That the body can only absorb X grams of protein a day is a myth.
  • waldo56
    Options

What do you think muscles are made of and where do you think the body gets protein when it doesn't have enough from dietary sources?