Help to up protein for vegetarians

Options
2»

Replies

• eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meat and I still struggle to meet protein goals. I went over today but I also ate Greek yogurt, grilled chicken and broiled tilapia! If you eat fish like some "vegetarians" (I guess they have another name?) do then I would do that. Greek yogurt is great for protein! Peanut butter is wonderful just don't get reduced fat kind. String cheese is easy and fast. You can also get a few grams of protein from spinach and it never hurts to eat more of that. Kashi cereal also has as much protein as an egg though it's high in carbs too.

Morning Star has a few microwavable meals that I like.The Three-Bean Chili with Griller's Crumbles has 20g of protein for just 270 calories. I also like the veggie hot dogs. One is 50 calories and 7 grams of protein. I usually eat two at a time in a single hotdog thin bun (Arnold's) or a wrap like from La Tortilla Factory or Flat Out! :)
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The suggestions thus far are great, and I'm definitely stealing that black bean burger recipe! You could put tofu in anything, really. Even desserts! I've had some amazing tofu cheesecake, and I recently stumbled upon a chocolate chip cookie dough recipe using chickpeas. You could change different textures of things and experiment.
  • rncm90
    rncm90 Posts: 4
    Options
    Have you had your Vitamin D checked. This can cause you to feel tired if it is low. In addition, low iron or anemia can do the same. There is a great book out there called "The China Study" and talks about extensive credible research that was conducted and that a plant based diet is best for you. In addition, they talk about the misconception of the need for a high protein intake. In the research they found that those who eat primarily a plant based diet actually perform better in exercise or physical activity better than those who had a high intake of (specifically animal) protein

I am a vegetarian as well and work out very hard at least 5 days a week and do just fine. There are also some great plant based protein shakes I would recommend if you really feel you are coming up short on your protein in take. There are two I would recommend:

1. Genuine Health Vegan Protein (the chocolate is wonderful)
    2. Sprout Living Epic Protein

Lastly, I am now making my own Almond milk and it is a great source of protein. Here is my recipe
    1 cup of almonds
    4 dates
    1 tsp of alcohol free vanilla
    5 - 6 cups water

Put it in a vitamix or effective blender and pulverize it. Once done you will need to put it through a nut bag (you can get these on amazon or probably in a nutrition shop) and strain out the almond milk. In the morning I have a large serving of my home made almond milk with some flax seed. Tastes great - low in calories and gives you that shot of protein.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you
    Tamara
  • stampinmama
    Options
    In my experience (over 20 yrs as a vegetarian - and a healthy one at that - I am here to lose my pregnancy weight from my three kids) It is probably not protein that your body needs... check your B vitamin levels. Most americans eat WAY too much protein and it is actually iron veg. lacks... not protein. good luck!
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would say to start eating meat again. But since you probably don't want to do that, take a look at my buddy Rich Roll's cookbook. http://www.richroll.com/uncategorized/jai-seed-cookbook-now-available/

Not to hijack the thread, but I read "Finding Ultra" Rich has the right ideas about eating plant-powered.
  • rncm90
    rncm90 Posts: 4
    Options
    I use veganaise rather tha mayonaise. I would also like to find an alternative for the egg. Have you any suggestions. I really appreciate the recipe SOunds really yummy!
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    High protein vegetarian food is basically all I make ever.

Here are a bunch of my recent recipes: http://quicheaweek.wordpress.com/
  • babicak3z
    babicak3z Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    chickpeas are pretty high protien I think.
    yea I eat chick peas and spinach veggies burgers I'm also looking for more protein as well
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough protein. I'm a vegetarian and I try to eat 60g of protein per day.

Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, peanut butter, edamame. I live off these things.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Almonds and beans and oats?
    I have oats every other day (approx) for breakfast. I have beans pretty much every day (chickpeas mostly ... also romano beans, black beans, etc). I've made bean tacos, rice with beans, eggplant and chickpeas. Beans go in soup.
    Almonds are high in calorie, but I usually have about 5 a day.
  • rusta
    rusta Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the help.

I know i am not low in Iron as my boyfriend made me start taking iron tablets when he found out i was becoming a vego. Maybe swapping to a multi might be beneficial - one that includes B vitamins.

i have booked an appointment with my doctor just to give me a quick run down of what actually is missing - and i am going to make an effort to eat my exercise calories.

I am a bit hesitant on unfermented soy products anyway, but i really dont like tofu.

Those black bean burgers look DELICIOUS!! i will be trying them out this week.