how bad is being over on your recommended protein level?

Options
13»

Replies

• trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Orthopedists don't manage rhabdomyolysis. That does NOT result from excessive protein intake. It's from excessive myoglobin from muscle breakdown, which can happen with certain medications as well as things like running marathons without adequate hydration.

So, your orthopedist is no doubt skilled at fixing bones, but he hasn't been dealing with rhabdomyolysis since he was a medical student.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Orthopedists don't manage rhabdomyolysis. That does NOT result from excessive protein intake. It's from excessive myoglobin from muscle breakdown, which can happen with certain medications as well as things like running marathons without adequate hydration.

If she'd actually read the link she posted she would know that already.
  • chinaroad
    chinaroad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How do you change the macro settings on MFP?
    Nevermind, I found it :)
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    For every gram you are over, you will gain a pound.
    BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

This is a test. bm99 is conducting a test of the your sarcasm detectors. This is only a test.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    More like two pounds
    This concludes the weekly test. We now return you to your regularly scheduled postings.
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options

Say whom??? Considering a lb is thought to be 3500 calories and a 1 g of protein is about 4 calories???

Trolled.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

You're so wrong! You can eat as much as you want! Your body can only handle so much protein. You just pee out the rest, unlike carbs.

He was trolling, but just so you know...in the body, protien gets broken down into peptides which then turn into amino acids. Your body takes what it needs to build up its protien stores then converts the rest to fats and sugars. Sugars go to the blood stream and other organs, and some of it is stored in the liver as glycogen. What is left gets turned into fat. Fat goes to the blood stream, then the liver where some of it is burned and the rest turns into cholesterol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yeah - I do not see 'eating too much protein' as a risk factor in the link
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

Yeah - I do not see 'eating too much protein' as a risk factor in the link

Most people can't really get too much protien. MFP sets it WAY too low. You can get too much protien, but if you are getting anywhere from 90-150g per day (body builders and heavy athletics need more), then you are fine.
  • Rommel_V
    Rommel_V Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1 gram carb = 4 calories
    1 gram protein = 4 calories
    1 gram Fat = 9 calories

I'd rather have more protein in exchange of fat! Just do the math! :D
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Two things here......first..a normal protein intake is 1.0 grams of protein per Kilogram weight (1 kilo = 2.2 lbs). So that would be roughly half your weight. This figure should increase depending on the type of activity

Aerobic 1.2 - 1.4 grams per kilo
    Resistance Training 1.4 - 1.8 grams per kilo

Some people will tell you up to 2.0 grams per kilo

All this assumes normal kidney function ..because protein can be toxic if your kidneys are not funtioning correctly. Pre-dialysis patients are put on a diet of 0.8 grams per kilo till they are on dialysis and then it's raised to 1.0 grams per kilo.

An alternative way to figure protein intake is up the normal 15 percent of calories that MFP recommends to up to 30 percent. To do this you need to know that 1 gram of protein = 4 calories. So if your calorie requirement was 1200 calories...10 percent is 120, so 20 percent is 240 calories protein, 30 percent = 360 calories from protein. Divide 360 calories by 4 cal/gram protein = 90 grams protein (which is about 2.0 grams per kilo per day)....this is a "max amount" for that calorie count.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I aim for as much protein as possible and have custom set it to 40%. If I go over, then I would be very happy! x