How the heck do I eat enough protein!!???

Options
IveLanded
IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
In another thread, many folks were talking about eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Which would put me at eating about 150 grams of protein per day. I changed my MFP goals to adjust for that and MAN I did not even come close!!! I had egg whites with breakfast, a chicken breast with lunch, a protein shake for a snack, and a sprouted grain tortilla with hummus at dinner and I was still at less than HALF of what I "should" be eating for protein!

How are folks able to get more than 100 grams of protein in per day without busting the calorie bank? I'm at about 1500 calories right now.

Replies

• carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    what I've read is it's 1 g of protein for each lb of LEAN body mass.. for example I weigh 220 lbs and my "lean body mass" (calculated/estimated from fat2fitradio website) said 119 lbs ... I seem to consistently go over my protein goals.. tuna, chicken, protein shakes, eggs... :/

ETA: http://www.livestrong.com/article/243833-a-list-of-low-calorie-high-protein-foods/
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm able to fit my protein needs (190g) by having 2 protein shakes a day, each shake as 2 scoops of Whey protein in it. Those 2 shakes are around 100g of protein alone; so for you I would suggest 3 meals a day with 25+ grams of protein in each meal, with a protein shake in between meals.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Milk. Lots and lots of milk.

However I eat WAAAAAAY more calories than that.

I was still losing @ 2800 cal/day NET.
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i have my MFP set for 160g of protein. I dont always hit it but i do get close for the most part. I eat egg whites, cheese, meats including tuna, and I intake 3 protein shakes daily.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I get well over my protein everyday even when I was eating low calorie. I really don't know how to eat less protein... Maybe you need to add in more snacks... Most of what I eat consists of oats, egg/egg whites, chicken, salmon, protein powders, cottage cheese and greek yogurt. You could try lowering your carbs to reduce calories that you could spend towards more stuff higher in protein but really...with 1500 calories, I would think you'd have plenty of room to work in several high protein meals and snacks.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Eggs, protein powder, cottage cheese, regular cheese, greek yogurt, edamame, chicken, beef, fish, tuna, nuts, peanut butter... The key is to get about 25 grams each meal. 1 lb per LBM.
  • IveLanded
    Options
    I'm kind of thinking I need to have ONLY protein for every meal????I was right at my calories today, and I had protein in ever meal, but only had two snacks, 1 of which was a shake. I really just focused on protein today, but I am thinking I need to find more protein dense things to add into my diet.........
  • IveLanded
    Options
    and on this note.........is LBM the calculation of what you'd weight with 0% body fat? I just played with a few online calculators and most have my LMB under 120lbs, which I cannot imagine actually weighing......I'd look terrible!
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    You should be having protein in every meal; just minimize foods with high levels of fat. 9 calories in 1 gram of fat whereas only 4 calories in 1 gram of protein or carbohydrates.
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    and on this note.........is LBM the calculation of what you'd weight with 0% body fat? I just played with a few online calculators and most have my LMB under 120lbs, which I cannot imagine actually weighing......I'd look terrible!

yep that's it :) and I agree .. my lowest weight was 142 (before kids) and the calc told me my LBM is 119 right now.. I thought 142 was way too low for my frame back then.. my ribs were clearly visible at that point.. I'm shooting to get back down to 165 :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go low carb, but if you're at your calorie limit with half the protein you want, you probably do need to exchange some carbs for protein. If your diary was open it would be easier to make suggestions.
  • BostonBee
    BostonBee Posts: 13
    Options
    I try to get around 120 g of proteins a day. My diary is open if you want to look at what I eat. I try to net around 1380 calories a day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

You wouldn't ever. Women that are fit are generally around 20% give or take body fat. With 120 LBM you would weigh 144 at 20%. If your diary was open I would be glad to help
  • laughingirl71
    laughingirl71 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    my body builder buddies called fat free cottage cheese and egg whites....white gold for the low calorie high protein content. kudos to you for being aware of the macronutrients you are taking in, and not just the calories. 1200 calories of lean protien, veggies, fruits and whole grains fuels much better than 1200 calories of twinkies and cheetos. lol...I know i stated the obvious...but sometimes, i get focused on calories over QUALITY of calories! Best to you on your journey.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some peanut butter to snacks? PB with celery, apples is really good, though I usually put mine on rice cakes :)
  • michelleyounger
    michelleyounger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found protein bars do the trick for me. keeps my calories low, but protein where i need it
  • IveLanded
    Options
    my body builder buddies called fat free cottage cheese and egg whites....white gold for the low calorie high protein content. kudos to you for being aware of the macronutrients you are taking in, and not just the calories. 1200 calories of lean protien, veggies, fruits and whole grains fuels much better than 1200 calories of twinkies and cheetos. lol...I know i stated the obvious...but sometimes, i get focused on calories over QUALITY of calories! Best to you on your journey.

gonna go get some cottage cheese..........I already eat egg whites for most every breakfast. :)
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    In another thread, many folks were talking about eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Which would put me at eating about 150 grams of protein per day. I changed my MFP goals to adjust for that and MAN I did not even come close!!! I had egg whites with breakfast, a chicken breast with lunch, a protein shake for a snack, and a sprouted grain tortilla with hummus at dinner and I was still at less than HALF of what I "should" be eating for protein!

How are folks able to get more than 100 grams of protein in per day without busting the calorie bank? I'm at about 1500 calories right now.

No, 1g per LBM(Lean body mass) not per total weight. 100g of protein is 400 calories. You know how to get more protein in to your diet? You eat more protein

Sure. Unless you have a dairy allergy...like me. I'm having the same problem...I upped my fats and lowered my carb ratios too. And the idea of 2 shakes a day is REALLY unappealing...
  • IveLanded
    Options

gonna go get some cottage cheese..........I already eat egg whites for most every breakfast. :)

The yolks is where most of the nutrition is

yeah but then that goes back to my original post..........I'm eating at 1500 calories a day, which means each meal or snack is about 300 calories or under......eating two eggs at breakfast puts my fat really high for the day and puts my breakfast calories high already without anything else.

I get that I may have to start making my meals primarily protein but even if I do that.........300 calories, ish, per meal isn't a ton of food. One reason I was asking was for suggestions as to what I could add to my diet. My protein right now comes from egg whites, nuts, chicken, fish, and protein powder shakes. I'm looking for more protein dense foods that still keep me in my calorie range per meal.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Lean sources of protien:

Chicken Breasts
    Turkey
    Fish
    Nuts
    Beans
    Protien Supplements (many choices out there...whey, soy, and vegetable protien options. I use a pea protien supplement...dairy and soy free)
    Eggs
    Greek Yogurt
    Red Meat (if you eat it)
    Quinoa

there are many ways to get plenty of protien without breaking the calorie bank...the key is to get good protien sources that are not high in FAT.