How the heck do I eat enough protein!!???

Options

Replies

• reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    In another thread, many folks were talking about eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Which would put me at eating about 150 grams of protein per day. I changed my MFP goals to adjust for that and MAN I did not even come close!!! I had egg whites with breakfast, a chicken breast with lunch, a protein shake for a snack, and a sprouted grain tortilla with hummus at dinner and I was still at less than HALF of what I "should" be eating for protein!

How are folks able to get more than 100 grams of protein in per day without busting the calorie bank? I'm at about 1500 calories right now.

No, 1g per LBM(Lean body mass) not per total weight. 100g of protein is 400 calories. You know how to get more protein in to your diet? You eat more protein

Sure. Unless you have a dairy allergy...like me. I'm having the same problem...I upped my fats and lowered my carb ratios too. And the idea of 2 shakes a day is REALLY unappealing...

Are you a vegan? Meat is protein.

I eat meat, quite a bit, in fact...I also eat a LOT of veggies, some fruit, seeds, nuts...plant foods are more important to me. My goal is set at 141g protein tho...I'm probably cool with a little less anyway, perhaps I'm only trying to live up to my ratios (50/30/30 %, fat/carbs/protein) and i should adjust them.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    my body builder buddies called fat free cottage cheese and egg whites....white gold for the low calorie high protein content. kudos to you for being aware of the macronutrients you are taking in, and not just the calories. 1200 calories of lean protien, veggies, fruits and whole grains fuels much better than 1200 calories of twinkies and cheetos. lol...I know i stated the obvious...but sometimes, i get focused on calories over QUALITY of calories! Best to you on your journey.

gonna go get some cottage cheese..........I already eat egg whites for most every breakfast. :)

The yolks is where most of the nutrition is

yeah but then that goes back to my original post..........I'm eating at 1500 calories a day, which means each meal or snack is about 300 calories or under......eating two eggs at breakfast puts my fat really high for the day and puts my breakfast calories high already without anything else.

I get that I may have to start making my meals primarily protein but even if I do that.........300 calories, ish, per meal isn't a ton of food. One reason I was asking was for suggestions as to what I could add to my diet. My protein right now comes from egg whites, nuts, chicken, fish, and protein powder shakes. I'm looking for more protein dense foods that still keep me in my calorie range per meal.

This is one of the best arguments against having so many meals. Its easier to balance bigger meals to get proper macros.
  • KatyBugs1724
    Options
    just eat TONS of LEAN protein. You'll definitely go over if you try to eat your protein in steaks and nuts and other calorically dense foods. But, fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, egg whites, whey protein, quality protein bars (not full of sugar...best are homemade), shellfish, jerky...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, 100g of protein is only 400 calories. It should be very easy to fit that into any diet. If you eat meat, eggs, dairy, etc, just eat more of them. Increase your quantity. Double your portion of pork/chicken/turkey/beef at dinner and at lunch. Double your eggs for breakfast.

For example, I ate 244g of protein today while being under 2000 calories and I wasn't really trying. I just pile on the meat when I eat. I had tacos for dinner and used over a pound of meat (mixture of lean beef and chicken) on just 3 shells. 138g of protein on just 3 taco shells, which were 180 calories total for all 3. Just a random example.

Worst case, use protein powder or bars to supplement intake if you have to. 2 scoops of protein powder can be 50g for only 220-250calories and get you halfway to your goal for a piddling amount of calories.
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think you're worrying over nothing and starting to obsess - which will only get you worked up and you'll start to not enjoy your food or your meals any more - and THAT'S what's important. If you're a top-level athlete then your coach will be able to put you straight. If you're not a top-level athlete but are simply working out hard, then just make sure you're having plenty of protein throughout the day. I find protein really tough to stomach in the morning so I don't bother with it - and I'm an endurance runner so yes, I do know about nutrition requirements (just in case you think I'm pitching in a mere 'opinion' lol). It's also much better to work out - and much easier - on a carb-based breakfast - unless you work out before breakfast, which is fine, too. Don't pack in protein before your workout, though. Save it for after. You want the protein for muscle repair AFTER your workouts, you need carbs for energy. As plenty have already said, a third of your lunch and dinner plates should be protein - but that's a normal chicken breast, a tin of tuna, a nice piece of fish .... whatever you choose. It's vital not to overdo the protein as you'll end up with kidney problems. If the rest of your plate has plenty of complex carbs then you'll be fine. If you're working out really hard, then protein shakes are great - if not, then you're overdoing it. And MFP is very unreliable when it comes to the numbers so forget about that!! Most are input by people who generally only log half of the ingredients of products so ignore everything on here. If you want a real breakdown of foods then you need to go to another site (there are plenty) - not reliant on users' input!! MFP is fab for cal-counting but you can totally ignore any indication of carb/protein/mineral quantities lol

Hope that helps. I find that I eat completely 'naturally' every day except for Fridays. Friday is my protein day - my one day a week that I do 'only protein' - mostly because this helps me maintain my weight, it's my exercise 'day off' and I can just concentrate on relaxing and eating lol

Best of luck. Is that you in the pic, by the way? You look great! x
  • spunkfish
    spunkfish Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • YogaGuyVern
    Options
    Try adding tofu to everything

Great bang for the buck as it is a plant protein so you don't have the fat calories of animal protein
    I put less tuna on a tuna salad & add tofu
    less chicken on a chicken salad & add tofu

it"s not for everybody but its as "lean" as protein can be
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    In another thread, many folks were talking about eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight. How are folks able to get more than 100 grams of protein in per day without busting the calorie bank? I'm at about 1500 calories right now.

Two things here......first..a normal protein intake is 1.0 grams of protein per Kilogram weight (1 kilo = 2.2 lbs). So that would be roughly half your weight. This figure should increase depending on the type of activity

Aerobic 1.2 - 1.4 grams per kilo
    Resistance Training 1.4 - 1.8 grams per kilo

Some people will tell you up to 2.0 grams per kilo

All this assumes normal kidney function ..because protein can be toxic if your kidneys are not funtioning correctly. Pre-dialysis patients are put on a diet of 0.8 grams per kilo till they are on dialysis and then it's raised to 1.0 grams per kilo.

An alternative way to figure protein intake is up the normal 15 percent of calories that MFP recommends to up to 30 percent. To do this you need to know that 1 gram of protein = 4 calories. So if your calorie requirement was 1200 calories...10 percent is 120, so 20 percent is 240 calories protein, 30 percent = 360 calories from protein. Divide 360 calories by 4 cal/gram protein = 90 grams protein (which is about 2.0 grams per kilo per day)....this is a "max amount" for that calorie count.

Now, to the second part...and your question. Find foods that are high in protein. Example: Mission Tortilla wrap is 210 calories and 4 grams protein and 1 gram fiber and 1 sugar gram. Ole Extreme Wellness Wraps are 68 calories - 71calories, 12 grams fiber and 8 grams protein and zero sugar. Greek Yogurt is high in protein. Carb master yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt but low in sugar....(I don't like greek yogurt). Turkey that is 97 - 99 percent fat free is very high in protein and low in calories. Good luck..you need more ideas...hollar!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Greek. Yogurt. My friend. :3
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    tuna
    chicken/turkey
    tofu
    eggs
    soya beans (great as a snack eaten raw)
    cottage cheese
    lentils
    peanut butter

google high protein snacks maybe?
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Bump! Just for Protein ideas myself
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ The general rule of thumb is to consume 1 gram of Protein per pound of your lean body mass ... some people will consume 1 gram per pound of their actual weight. You should try to consume a decent amount of Protein with every meal ... but more importantly it is most beneficial after a heavy burn from any type of weight lifting. Other than that ... just work on consuming what you can per serving throughout the day.

Trying to consume 100+ grams of protein is not unrealistic ... it is indeed very attainable.

Protein is required by the body for the growth, maintenance and repair of all cells.

Protein is a major component of all muscles, tissues and organs and is vital for practically every process that occurs within the body such as metabolism, digestion and the transportation of nutrients and oxygen in the blood.

It is also necessary for the production of antibodies, which fight against infection and illness, and is the main nutrient that keeps our hair shiny and healthy, our nails strong, our skin fresh and glowing and our bones strong and healthy.

Any amount consumed can be beneficial in one way or another ... :flowerforyou:

Here are some suggestions :

~ My breakfast alone can be 90 grams of protein ...

16 oz of H2O with Body Fortess Chocolate Protein Powder ... 280 cal 52 g Protein
    Fage Nonfat 0% Greek Yogurt ... 100 Cal 18 g Protein
    ½ Cup raw Blueberries ... 41 Cal 1 g Protein
    Healthy N Fit - 100% Egg Protein - Strawberry Passion, 3/4 scoop 100 cal 24 g Protein

* This is generally my breakfast on a hard workout day burning 1,000+ calories

I love the " Premier Nutrition Protein Chocolate Peanut Bar 280 cal and 30 g Protein

I also enjoy :

Edamame
    Sushi
    Nuts
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Peanut Butter
    Pumpkin Seeds
    Sunflower Seeds

There is a " Body Fortress - Super Whey Protein Shot - Fruit Punch, 1 vial at 110 cal and 26 g Protein ... I will sometimes use this after a good burn.

Protein is the most difficult macro to accumulate ... when looking to get to 100 g or more a day .... either double up on the chicken, salmon and lean meats .... or find some really good protein bars that are low in sugar and carbs. :)

Hope this helps ! :smile:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think you're worrying over nothing and starting to obsess - which will only get you worked up and you'll start to not enjoy your food or your meals any more - and THAT'S what's important. If you're a top-level athlete then your coach will be able to put you straight. If you're not a top-level athlete but are simply working out hard, then just make sure you're having plenty of protein throughout the day. I find protein really tough to stomach in the morning so I don't bother with it - and I'm an endurance runner so yes, I do know about nutrition requirements (just in case you think I'm pitching in a mere 'opinion' lol). It's also much better to work out - and much easier - on a carb-based breakfast - unless you work out before breakfast, which is fine, too. Don't pack in protein before your workout, though. Save it for after. You want the protein for muscle repair AFTER your workouts, you need carbs for energy. As plenty have already said, a third of your lunch and dinner plates should be protein - but that's a normal chicken breast, a tin of tuna, a nice piece of fish .... whatever you choose. It's vital not to overdo the protein as you'll end up with kidney problems. If the rest of your plate has plenty of complex carbs then you'll be fine. If you're working out really hard, then protein shakes are great - if not, then you're overdoing it. And MFP is very unreliable when it comes to the numbers so forget about that!! Most are input by people who generally only log half of the ingredients of products so ignore everything on here. If you want a real breakdown of foods then you need to go to another site (there are plenty) - not reliant on users' input!! MFP is fab for cal-counting but you can totally ignore any indication of carb/protein/mineral quantities lol

Hope that helps. I find that I eat completely 'naturally' every day except for Fridays. Friday is my protein day - my one day a week that I do 'only protein' - mostly because this helps me maintain my weight, it's my exercise 'day off' and I can just concentrate on relaxing and eating lol

Best of luck. Is that you in the pic, by the way? You look great! x

Thanks for this........part of what you said is the concern I have.......I am actually working on becoming a distance runner and I'm training for a half marathon (while working my way up with shorter distance races). I've also just found that I'm losing weight more efficiently with a protein dense diet, but I just never really paid too much attention to the exact numbers until now. I've lost 35lbs and my weight loss is a lot tougher now. I want to have a leaner body in order to be a more efficient runner, so thats what I'm working towards now.

I currently work out at least an hour a day, I do weight conditioning 2 or 3 days a week and cardio the other days (either running or Spinning). I'm running about 6 miles on weekends, and 3 or 4 on week days.

I also try to eat as "clean" as I can. I actually have a nutritionist and a trainer, so yeah I should talk to them about this too. :)

And yep, that's me in my pic. I used to be fat!!!! :D
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    And thank you everyone for the food suggestions.......I kind of hate greek yogurt (*ducks*) but there are a lot of other suggestions I hadn't even thought of. I'm going to start experimenting with my menu this next week and try to spend a little time finding a better protein supplement (I'm currently using the one I get at Trader Joes which actually only has 16gs per serving). I'm also going to see if I focus a little on protein if I can create some habits of making my meals & snacks more protein dense. So thank you!!!
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and take a look at my diary.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Er.... so I didn't manage to read the whole thing, but I heard it was 0.36 * body weight for the amount of protein. That's nearly 2/3 less than what you are using!!

Another value was to keep protein between 15% and 30% of your daily calories.

Either way, if you aren't able to get it without adding "artificial means" (like protein shakes), you probably don't need it. Just eat a balance of real foods.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Good question, I have trouble meeting my goal too!
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    you do not need that many!! 100-110 g is plenty for you!!! If you eat more than 30g in 3 hours your body pees out the excess nitrogen from it... putting a strain on your kidneys, and too much of any macronutrient will get stored as fat.... at a max protein should be 35% of your diet, spread out throughout the day!!!!