VaporsWorld Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Sleeping Beauty series by Anne Rice.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    And this review sums it up

Did a teenager write this?

I really don't like writing bad reviews. I admire people who have the courage to put pen to paper and expose themselves to the whole world, especially those writing erotica. Having just finished this book, however, I feel compelled to write a review.

About half way through the book, I looked up the author to see if she was a teenager. I really did because the characters are out of a 16 year old's fantasy. The main male character is a billionaire (not a millionaire but a billionaire) who speaks fluent French, is basically a concert level pianist, is a fully trained pilot, is athletic, drop dead gorgeous, tall, built perfectly with an enormous penis, and the best lover on the planet. In addition, he's not only self made but is using his money to combat world hunger. Oh yeah, and all of this at the ripe old age of 26! And on top of that, he's never working. Every second is spent having sex or texting and emailing the female character. His billions seem to have just come about by magic. It seriously feels like 2 teenage girls got together and decided to create their "dream man" and came up with Christian Grey.

Then come the sex scenes. The first one is tolerable but as she goes on, they become so unbelievable that it becomes more laughable than erotic. She orgasms at the drop of a hat. He says her name and she orgasms. He simply touches her and she orgasms. It seems that she's climaxing on every page.

Then there's the writing. If you take out the parts where the female character is blushing or chewing her lips, the book will be down to about 50 pages. Almost on every single page, there is a whole section devoted to her blushing, chewing her lips or wondering "Jeez" about something or another. Then there's the use of "shades of". He's "fifty shades of @#$%% up," "she turned 7 shades of crimson," "he's ten shades of x,y, and z." Seriously?

The writing is just not up to par, the characters are unbelievable, and the sex verges on the comical. I don't know what happens in the remaining books and I do not intend to read them to find out. But given the maturity level of the first book, I imagine that they get married, have 2 perfect children, cure world hunger, and live happily ever after while riding into the sunset, as the female character climaxes on her horse causing her to chew her bottom lip and blush fifty shades of crimson. Jeez!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2JF7E91JJVHAT/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0345803485&nodeID=283155&store=books

Oh my gosh this is PERFECT!!!!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If Kinky is what you want then read The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy.......... just saying

Hm, I'll look into this also.. I mean I'm not looking for " kinky".. just a good read.. Lots of recomeendations on here! Thanks guys!
  • jinxie269
    jinxie269 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I read all three books in less than a week and I loved them. It was a great fuel for my fire ;)

I may try and read them again this summer.... just slower this time. It is not a well written series but I certainly enjoyed the read!

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOTALLY agree! Not well written but you can bet your boots I'll be reading it again this summer :blushing:
  • Skyla08
    Skyla08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have never read Twilight or watched the movie as i'm not into the vampire thing. I am on book 2 of 50 shades and I LOVE IT! Not the best written book with spelling and such but it is so addictive! Can't wait to finish the whole series! :)
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4lc5lB6wJ1rs9g79o1_500.png
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I have never read Twilight or watched the movie as i'm not into the vampire thing. I am on book 2 of 50 shades and I LOVE IT! Not the best written book with spelling and such but it is so addictive! Can't wait to finish the whole series! :)

I bought the downloaded version on GooglePlay for Android.. and I swear at times I had a hard time reading because I felt there was a word missing. Mind you this may have been just my eyes playing tricks on me after reading for hours. I'm sure nothing was missing since it must have gone through several editors.
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I read them all and yes I agree not the best written by far, but they are a quick fun read. They will not win any prizes but they getting lots of women to read and then have fun with their husbands...and isn't enjoying yourself what reading should be about. So that in my book makes them good books.

The first two were my better reads for me, the third not so much.

I have also read the Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty and think it will be funny when some of the 50 Shades women think they are similar and start to read them...man will they be shocked and get a REAL education. haha
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    The few reviews I've seen of this book gives me the impression it is just erotica disguised as a romance novel so what you have is a double foray into non-reality. I'm reading O'Reilly's "Killing Lincoln" myself.
  • xokatelynmariexo
    xokatelynmariexo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of the first one and cannot put it down!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion, they're complete junk. Horribly written, stupid story line, and the sex isn't even remotely hot. But hey, whatever gets you goin'.

so very very very much this.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    the " christians feet are hot" thing was weird for me.. lmao
  • anikkim0915
    anikkim0915 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion, they're complete junk. Horribly written, stupid story line, and the sex isn't even remotely hot. But hey, whatever gets you goin'.

I have to say that I agree with you on this! I kept reading the books and when I finished I basically said "really besides the red room of pain, there was NOTHING about it that I can't do myself:blushing: "
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    Black Dagger Brotherhood is much better in my opinion. But i don't read these books and compare them to my favorite Steinbeck novels. They're just middle of the road quick reads.
  • llm1607
    llm1607 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love twilight and 50 shades!!!! Maybe its just the teenager in me... Lol
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last book now. it's been mildly entertaining. If I read one more time about "just-facked hair" & "happy trails" & "stirrings down...there" & "biting lips & eye rolls" I just might turn into a Dom and beat someone. I like the story but the sex schtick is getting old by the third book.

^^^This. I was fed up with the "inner goddess" every other paragraph. And I did not care for the way Christian's character changes by the third book. The story just turns way too predictable by the third book - I think I scanned most of it, only continuing to read because I wanted to know what happened with the little bit of story line that actually DID exist (all 10 pages of it).
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    And this review sums it up

Did a teenager write this?

I really don't like writing bad reviews. I admire people who have the courage to put pen to paper and expose themselves to the whole world, especially those writing erotica. Having just finished this book, however, I feel compelled to write a review.

About half way through the book, I looked up the author to see if she was a teenager. I really did because the characters are out of a 16 year old's fantasy. The main male character is a billionaire (not a millionaire but a billionaire) who speaks fluent French, is basically a concert level pianist, is a fully trained pilot, is athletic, drop dead gorgeous, tall, built perfectly with an enormous penis, and the best lover on the planet. In addition, he's not only self made but is using his money to combat world hunger. Oh yeah, and all of this at the ripe old age of 26! And on top of that, he's never working. Every second is spent having sex or texting and emailing the female character. His billions seem to have just come about by magic. It seriously feels like 2 teenage girls got together and decided to create their "dream man" and came up with Christian Grey.

Then come the sex scenes. The first one is tolerable but as she goes on, they become so unbelievable that it becomes more laughable than erotic. She orgasms at the drop of a hat. He says her name and she orgasms. He simply touches her and she orgasms. It seems that she's climaxing on every page.

Then there's the writing. If you take out the parts where the female character is blushing or chewing her lips, the book will be down to about 50 pages. Almost on every single page, there is a whole section devoted to her blushing, chewing her lips or wondering "Jeez" about something or another. Then there's the use of "shades of". He's "fifty shades of @#$%% up," "she turned 7 shades of crimson," "he's ten shades of x,y, and z." Seriously?

The writing is just not up to par, the characters are unbelievable, and the sex verges on the comical. I don't know what happens in the remaining books and I do not intend to read them to find out. But given the maturity level of the first book, I imagine that they get married, have 2 perfect children, cure world hunger, and live happily ever after while riding into the sunset, as the female character climaxes on her horse causing her to chew her bottom lip and blush fifty shades of crimson. Jeez!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2JF7E91JJVHAT/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0345803485&nodeID=283155&store=books

Couldn't have said it better myself. Yes, I read all three books because I'm OCD and had to see how it ended, even though I already pretty much predicted it. Every time I read "oh my poor fifty" I wanted to vomit.
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get flamed, but they are complete crap. It makes me so angry that so many woman think this is amazing fiction.

I totally agree, I only finished the second one, could not bring myself to read the third. I don't understand the obsession either. Glad I'm not the only one.
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

AGREED! The writing was horrific to say the least! She needed to get herself a thesaurus! I'm pretty sure if I read "bemused" or "mercurial" one more time I would scream. Plus, the plot is completely over the top. Don't get me wrong. I'm into some Kinky F-ery but this was unrealistic. Grey was f'd up. I don't find it plausible that he would do a complete 180 in a month and get "better"
    [/quote]

Totally agree.