anxiety/panick attacks

Options

Replies

• _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression and stress-related anxiety. I began to work out almost every day and eat right and I am proud to say that my conditions are now under control.

I was on the verge of going to a counselor before I began to change my lifestyle. Now I wouldn't dream of seeing one I feel so great now.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I have them a lot.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Oh, all the time. I hate it, such a horrible situation and feeling. With it comes depression. Exercise helps a little... I know what triggers my anxiety though (my job) so it comes right back. What exercise does for me is makes me zone out and think about something else. And if you exercise hard enough, that can be a world of benefit for you including a clearer mind. However I don't think it is the end-all solution.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Boxing helps for me I think the combination exercise and just a complete adrenaline dump makes me too tired to have a real panic attack, it s like my body just doesn't react the way it usually does if I get a good work out in the morning pre-stress of the day sort of thing.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had to go with a several pronged approach to dealing with anxiety and panic attacks. I've been working on it for the last year actively, and have had success. That doesn't mean the occasional curve ball doesn't throw me off track a bit. Exercise is part of it (started slow, now at a goal of doing my ashtanga yoga practice on a daily basis). Therapy is helping. Being part of a group of people that has a spiritual purpose or higher power helps (my group of people happens to be adult children of alcoholics).
    It got pretty bad before it started getting better. Admitting that I couldn't do it by myself helped the most.
  • sueannerojas
    Options
    O yeah cut out the CAFFEINE ....... caffeine and anxiety = bad news!!!! and I know it cost $ but after about 4 years of dealing with my anxiety, panic attacks, staying home all the time, thinking i am dieing, and all around feeling terrible and fed up I finally spent the money and was the best purchase I have ever made so please look into the program .. ill post it one more time for anyone else

http://midwestcenter.com/
    yes thank you again i did purchase it lastnight :)
  • sueannerojas
    Options
    I would have anxiety attacks from time to time after my wife passed away Jan. 2011. It happened in the middle of my weight loss journey, and I just pushed myself even harder and yes I think it did help. They would still happen but to a lesser degree. The weirdest things would set me off, like music. I had to listen to talk radio for months. Once I was standing in a Sam's club store near the childrens section and they had some hokey little kids song and I just about freaked out after listening to it for about 30 seconds, I had to leave, but I was confused as to how. Finally I regained my composer and walked away. Now I live music. Exercise was instrumental in helping me curtail the attacks.
    thank you and im so sorry for your loss.i also lost my ex husband (am now remarried) due to a tragic car accident which has made my anxiety of driving severe :(
  • sueannerojas
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing!please feel free to add me as a friend i would to have people that can relate as friends.Since everyone has shared their story i would also like to share mine.I started having panic attacks at 14 yrs old when they started it was extremely bad so bad that i lived in the emergency for about a yr.somehow got rid of them aabout the age 16 for a couple of yrs then i realized i started forming phobias (fear of being poisoned, fear of dying,) and they slowly creeped up on me again.In 2008 my ex husband (am now remarried) was killed in a car accident which has realy put a fear in me about driving especialy with my kids in the car scared i might have a panic attack and wreck.I usualy have to talk on the phone while im driving :( which is extremely dangerous.I can say that i can control them alot better now.Oh and im not on any meds because i fear they will hurt me.I feel so stupid sometime but this is where im at :(
  • sueannerojas
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing!please feel free to add me as a friend i would to have people that can relate as friends.Since everyone has shared their story i would also like to share mine.I started having panic attacks at 14 yrs old when they started it was extremely bad so bad that i lived in the emergency for about a yr.somehow got rid of them aabout the age 16 for a couple of yrs then i realized i started forming phobias (fear of being poisoned, fear of dying,) and they slowly creeped up on me again.In 2008 my ex husband (am now remarried) was killed in a car accident which has realy put a fear in me about driving especialy with my kids in the car scared i might have a panic attack and wreck.I usualy have to talk on the phone while im driving :( which is extremely dangerous.I can say that i can control them alot better now.Oh and im not on any meds because i fear they will hurt me.I feel so stupid sometime but this is where im at :(
    forgot to add i also have problems with excercising because my heart rate gets up and i start thinking well what if it gets out of control then the anxiety/panick starts
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yup. I have horrible anxiety and I am taking meds for it now. Exercise really helps calm my mind, especially running. I just focus on the music (Watch the Throne album right now) and everything else melts into the background. It is wonderful.
  • Curvy_princess
    Curvy_princess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm not on meds either.. Exercise definitely helps tons. I had the same problem. I actually had a mini attack on an elliptical and found it hard to get back in the gym. It took me some time to get over the fear, but I started to do small intervals and work my way up. At first I did a very easy pace on the treadmill or bike for about 15-20 minutes and eventually worked my way up to a full 30. I only went 2 or 3 times per week to ease myself back into it. I now go the gym nearly every day now and do 30-40 minutes HIIT on an Arc Trainer. Just start slow and work your way up. :)

Also, I keep a lavender diffuser next to my bed. I find that I feel much happier and a lot less anxious throughout the day.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    forgot to add i also have problems with excercising because my heart rate gets up and i start thinking well what if it gets out of control then the anxiety/panick starts

I also had problems with this, still do from time to time. When I first started doing ashtanga yoga, I was weaning myself off of paxil and it definitely helped me stay off medication for a while. I hadn't had an all out anxiety attack in years (just persistent anxiety and a sense of doom...) when I was doing yoga and suddenly became frighteningly, hyper aware of my body and was sure I was about to die. I stopped working out for a while and descended into daily, all day panic feeling. I felt like I was going to die at any minute. I told myself, "this is as good as it gets, you're getting older, just get used to it." Thankfully, I found my way to the things that are helping me now. When I started exercising again, I had found a higher power and told myself this higher power had my back when I started getting concerned that my heart and breath rate was. Got to where I started telling myself that I was doing awesome instead of holding on to negative thoughts that fueled the panic attacks. And started getting used to that weird, blood is pumping through my body, adrenalized state that comes with exercise little by little. I'm still working on it. Moving my yoga practice to a more intense place is challenging me. But, when it's too much, I slow down and go to my higher power and those positive thoughts (even if I don't quite believe them). It's working.
    Good luck to you, I know how hard it is to live with this condition.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I also had problems with this, still do from time to time. When I first started doing ashtanga yoga, I was weaning myself off of paxil and it definitely helped me stay off medication for a while. I hadn't had an all out anxiety attack in years (just persistent anxiety and a sense of doom...) when I was doing yoga and suddenly became frighteningly, hyper aware of my body and was sure I was about to die. I stopped working out for a while and descended into daily, all day panic feeling. I felt like I was going to die at any minute. I told myself, "this is as good as it gets, you're getting older, just get used to it." Thankfully, I found my way to the things that are helping me now. When I started exercising again, I had found a higher power and told myself this higher power had my back when I started getting concerned that my heart and breath rate was. Got to where I started telling myself that I was doing awesome instead of holding on to negative thoughts that fueled the panic attacks. And started getting used to that weird, blood is pumping through my body, adrenalized state that comes with exercise little by little. I'm still working on it. Moving my yoga practice to a more intense place is challenging me. But, when it's too much, I slow down and go to my higher power and those positive thoughts (even if I don't quite believe them). It's working.
    Good luck to you, I know how hard it is to live with this condition.

me also. zumba and kickboxing threw me into them. or hiking in the heat threw me into a bad one. had to strip down in the park bathroom and douse myself in cold water to try to calm down. it took my sister over an hour to calm me down from sobbing and yelling. i still have some issues when i get that way. i blame part of mine on my deviated septum. its kinda bad and i cannot breathe well. i am trying to work myself up. theres really no simple fix, just time and effort friends and hope. HIIT i can do to an extent. you should try it. since you get to go back to a light jog in between sprints, i can handle it :)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You know, I am really a pretty calm person. But a few years ago, after extended period of stress, I started having them...it was so wierd, hard to explain the feeling. But I recognized that this was me not compensating for all the stress. I actually thought it was a form of depression or something. I took St. Johns Wort extract (it's an herb). It takes 6 weeks to kick in but really it totally did the trick. Actually in 4 weeks I noticed a difference. And I took it solidly for 3 months before I could taper off of it. It is not habit forming, works better than drugs (my husband is a nurse, it is in his drug reference book). I always buy it in the wintertime now, when I am more indoors w/o sun and just take it during those months.
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I used to regularly get panic attacks. Medication and group therapy has helped and I haven't had one for a few years now. The key for me was understanding that there is no cure, fear/anxiety is natural, it is all about management. I learned a LOT in group about what fear/anxiety is and why we need it but how to manage it so that it doesn't become a panic attack.
  • ama1978
    ama1978 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    excercise helps keeping your mind on something else apart from worrying! and uses all the excess adrenalin you produce when you panic, sitting around thinking about it makes it worse..
  • mjcorbs228
    mjcorbs228 Posts: 21
    Options
    I have anxiety. But working out wears me out so I can fall asleep without medication, and the goals distract me pretty nicely.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    my son is on medication for it