What the H3LL am I supposed to eat to meet 2500 cals?

Options

Replies

• Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Agree with others here. I'd like to add that if you feel like you are out of proportion with regards to your macros, do what you can to eat your calorie goal each day, and start focusing on one macro at a time. Get used to hitting that macro on target before moving on to the next one. Change too much at once and you may overwhelm yourself and give up. That used to be my problem, and once I started allowing myself to ease into the healthy lifestyle changes, everything got a lot easier and the transformation felt much more effortless!

Good luck!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    At 301lbs my nutritionist put me at 1500 cals and to only eat some of my exercise calories back if i am hungry. Ive lost 59lbs doing that and they are happy for me to continue at that. I burn of an average of 700 - 1000 cals per day on exercise and im told to only eat back what im hungry for in healthy foods. Id say what your eating is fine. Ive reversed my high blood pressure, high heart rate and type 2 diabetes doing this. They said i may need to eat more when close to goal, but not for a long while yet! 3 dietitians in total have given me the same advice. Keep on going! Sounds like your doing great! X
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I eat 2500 daily.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Erica,
    I had a problem getting enough calories when I had gestational diabetes and had to cut carbs (including a lot of fruits & veggies, unfortunately -- they made my blood sugar numbers spike too high). I focused on fat -- the good and the bad in my case, but the same concept applies. Like another poster suggested, avocado & nuts are high in calories and great for you. I ate a lot of eggs, cheese and meat, too (I'm normally not a big meat-eater, but I think I put away a brat a day during the last couple months of my pregnancy to keep the calories up). Also look at your "fillers" -- whole-grain or alternatives like quinoa are often higher-calorie than "regular" pasta or rice, and they're more nutritious.
    I'm not qualified to judge if you should be getting 2500, 2000, or the 1700 you're already struggling to reach -- but if you do want to increase calories healthfully, those are some ideas. Personally, I don't worry TOO much about sugar as long as it's coming from nutritionally sound choices. For example, adding a mango to my AM protein shake already puts me over my limit, even if I eat zero sugar for the rest of the day. I'm okay with that. :-)
    Congrats on all the pounds you've lost so far!
    -Brandy
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, don't force yourself to eat 2500 calories. It's just a guideline to help you out. The most important part of this is learning to pay attention to your body.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I eat 2600 a day, feel free to add me. My diary is open.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Also, I average around 2000 per day, some days more when I workout, you are welcome to friend me if you'd like to check out my diary. Keep in mind I don't eat clean so don't judge my occasional Smart Ones or diet mt. dew. LOL
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I went with 1lb a week as a base, but like i said I never meet the calories they say I should - I have lost 16 lbs in a month and 2 weeks by eating 1700-1800/wk.

16 pounds in 6 weeks is 2.7 pounds a week. That's a little fast for someone near their goal, but if you've got a ways to go it sounds like you've already found a healthy, sustainable calorie level. Make sure your fats, carbs, and proteins are in reasonable balance and take advantage of the ride you're on while you're on it.

As you get closer to your goal, you'll have to make adjustments, but it sounds like what you are doing is working fine - keep doing it and don't mess with success! :)
  • Norinella
    Norinella Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi,
    MFP is a great tool, but can I suggest something? I recommend seeing a nutritionist, even if you only go once or twice. They are trained to help you determine exactly the best way of eating so you lose a safe amount of weight while eating the proper number of calories for your body. They can give you advice that you can trust. It's what they do.
    I LOVE this site, but I started first with a nutritionist, and I am so glad I did. People have lots of different reasons for being here, and lots of different theories about what is safe and healthy. It's best to start with people who are trained to advise you and won't use a one-size-fits-all approach.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I would say, if you aren't hungry don't eat.. but I did see someone said whole dairy, that is a good one =)
    Load up your salads! Use bacon bits, and full flavor dressings and stuff too.
  • kittyfrost
    kittyfrost Posts: 54
    Options
    One of my favourite meals in recovery where I had to gain weight was about 50g granola, greek yogurt and 2 tbsp of peanut/almond butter, that came to about 500 cals in just that. Add healthy fats wherever you can.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to look at my food diary, back when I started I was at that level and on exercise days I've often eaten that much or more. But frankly I don't really care about any of the macro nutrients, all I really care about is avoiding white foods (most of the time) eating fruits and vegies and making sure I get a healthy amount of fiber. I generally try and keep the fat levels down, but on a food choice basis... So in the end all I really do is count calories...

Good-luck, Mike
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat natural foods, no fast foods and no processed foods.

Please read this link.. It really helped me understand, my situation (a friend on MFP refered me to it. ) This is not some diet scam site it is real information about how how our Bodies work.

http://activepassivediet.com/files/ActivePassiveChapter1v2.pdf
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    People ask this question when they think that they shouldn't be eating fat. Fats are a cleaner fuel source for your body than carbs and help you to absorb essential vitamins. Also, when you combine fat with carbs it will lower the GI of the meal.

The low fat fad really has done a lot of damage but one good thing that came from it is that you can take your average low fat diet and simply add healthy fats to it... bargain.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    HOW ARE YOU GETTING 2500 CALORIES A DAY??? From your stats listed you should only eat 1640 calories. Plus some for what you exercise.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You are doing fantastic. If I were you, I would just keep on doing exactly what you have been doing. It seems like you have found the right balance that works for you, and you feel good....I'm not seeing a problem. So many people here get all stressed out because they ate an apple and their sugar was high. Well, I guarantee it wasn't that apple that got us into this mess. :wink: The one thing I have learned here is that we all do it a little different. The goal is to find a healthy, sustainable program that we can stick to long term. So, my long winded point is that you are doing great so don't worry!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    HOW ARE YOU GETTING 2500 CALORIES A DAY??? From your stats listed you should only eat 1640 calories. Plus some for what you exercise.

she is factoring in activity.

I eat 2400-2600 calories a day. my dairy is open. it isn't always pretty but I do well.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary (it's public) I eat 2300 a day, and this isn't a problem for me! I could easily go over (yesterday I had 3000!)

*looking now*
    Thanks!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING YOU CAN
    Nuts and Legumes are a Great resource for healthy high caloric in take
    Pretty much. After my workout I have 3000 for today. This is why I hate working out while breastfeeding.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm