"Don't Get Too Skinny"

Options

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 pounds since January and I've recently started getting the "Don't Get Too Skinny" comments. I had a co-worker ask me just now if my intention was to shrink away so that people couldn't see me anymore. I'm 5'6 and currently weigh 162 so I'm not in danger of disappearing anytime soon. Then he asked me how much more weight I wanted to lose? I made the mistake of giving a number. I told him about 15 pounds and he reacted like I was crazy and told me not to get all sickly. Seriously, 147 pounds is sickly? He's the second or third person to say something along these lines. Next time someone asks me what my goals are I will not give a number. I'll just say to be healthy. I'm not angry I just think it's surprising is all. Anyone else get these sorts of comments?

People have no idea what the above average fit person looks like in clothes unless they have a ton of muscle. Its normal. Just tell them you're trying to look good naked. That usually ends the conversation.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I, too, am 5'6" and get these comments daily. I started at 215 and am now 135 and not skinny. Ignore those people. The translation is "Stop getting healthy, you are making the rest of us look bad". Congrats on your great work so far. Keep it up and don't listen to the fools.
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    My boyfriend would prefer it if I stayed at my current weight...and never lost another pound! He'll try to grab my belly and see that he can't grip anything anymore and get all pissy lol. He gives me the "don't get too skinny and hot because you'll leave me stranded for some buff dude with a 6pack" speech...I assume he's joking but God knows :laugh:
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I get it a lot, which I find annoying. I think people are saying that based on where I came from. Like it my weight now was my starting weight people wouldn't bat an eyelash when I said I wanted to lose 10 pounds.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I haaaaate that comment. My overweight friend told me "You've lost enough, you should stop." From her, it didn't come from a place of concern like I was actually looking too thin or sickly, it seemed like a "You're looking really good, you should stop looking so much better than me" comment. I'm well within the means of a healthy BMI now, and I will still be once I reach my goal weight. Kinda ticks me off. I'm not unhealthily thin nor do I look it...
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'6 and I get those comments. I'm currently 147 but I'm planning on 125 because I have a small frame according to my measurements. I tell them that based on my small frame, I'm going by the metlife table recommendations for mortality rate which should have me between 120 and 133.
    Obviously different for people with other frame sizes but it shuts them up, how can you tell someone they'll be "too skinny" if they've told you the statistically best weight for their height and frame to reduce mortality rates?

I also think that some people say it because you look skinny in comparisson to before, not that you'd actually be too skinny, they're just comparing. I bet people who've never seen me before wouldn't say I was too skinny!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I cant wait to get those comments. Means you're doing something right. I say take it as a compiment and keep it moving. What he or anybody else thinks really doesn't even matter. Congrats on your loss!!! :drinker:
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Oh god, I get this all the time. I said I wanted to lose about thirty more pounds once, and I got looked at like I was going to die if I did, when I know that's a perfectly healthy weight.

Body policing for the lose.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I heard stuff like that far too often, to the point that it not only began to irritate me but actually distracted me from my goals for a while. Nothing worst than having to defend getting and being healthy when you are constantly being asked "Are you still trying to lose weight?"
    Stay focused, let your skin thicken up a bit and stay true to you and your goals!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yep get comments like this from a few people. They just dont understand what a healthy weight is. The massive change is a shock to some people also.

Part of me thinks it is just the smaller I get the bigger they feel so they have to try to sabotage your efforts.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I, too, am 5'6" and get these comments daily. I started at 215 and am now 135 and not skinny. Ignore those people. The translation is "Stop getting healthy, you are making the rest of us look bad". Congrats on your great work so far. Keep it up and don't listen to the fools.

LOVE THIS!!!! "Stop getting healthy, you are making the rest of us look bad".
  • Cat_from_Chicago
    Cat_from_Chicago Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend would prefer it if I stayed at my current weight...and never lost another pound! He'll try to grab my belly and see that he can't grip anything anymore and get all pissy lol. He gives me the "don't get too skinny and hot because you'll leave me stranded for some buff dude with a 6pack" speech...I assume he's joking but God knows :laugh:

THIS!!!!
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think it takes a while for people to get used to seeing you as thinner.. They will adjust, as long as you and your Doctors think you are healthy then you are. Too much weight too fast will make one look gaunt, but your loss is very steady. so no worries ENJOY being healthy.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Do your thing! I notice that telling nosey people 'na-na-na-boo-boo" and firmly walking away leaves them a bit confused and hesitant to give you their opinion again. :wink:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    In general, I think people mean well when they make these comments. Sometimes it's joking, and sometimes there is a genuine concern that what they may perceive to be obsessions with weight loss can lead to eating disorders.

I think a good reply is something along the lines of "I have spent a good deal of time and effort developing healthy lifestyle habits. I am no longer concerned with my weight, but being healthy. I have faith that my body will just settle in to a healthy weight as a result of the changes I have made". Regardless of the motivation for their comments, there's not a whole lot that can be disputed about that.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Yeah been told I'm gonna melt away, that I"m gonna disappear, that I'm getting far to thin. Mind you, I've been over weight all my life. So I try to keep in my mind that people aren't use to seeing me at a normal weight. I'm currently 131lbs, that is the smallest I've ever been. I have 10-15 more pounds to go. I'm 5'3. I remind people that I love food to much to starve myself and as long as I'm in the healthy range of weight then it's not their concern where I go with it. My body!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I've had these comments pop up fairly often, usually from people skinnier than my goal weight. I know some of it is jealousy (I had a close friend drunkenly try to convince me to stop dieting before I'm smaller than she is). I know most people who say it are well meaning, but sometimes it annoys me when I get ambushed with comments to quit.

yes by a few ex annies i know. they are more obsessed with my goal than i am. it is almost always by skinny ppl. bigger ppl usually ask how or give props. its weird that they do that. only so many allowed in the thin club? i just don't get it.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I got it today from my step dad. "You're gonna get so thin that you'll dissapear!" ... I didn't really know how to react :/
  • dancecentral
    dancecentral Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was going for a walk the other day and a guy said to me "Don't walk it all off" .. I weigh 180!! I think he was just trying to flirt/flatter me. lol
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I agree it might be jealousy, but just make sure there's nothing to it. When I lost 135 pounds, (also 5'6) I was determined to get down to 145, and around 160 I started getting the comments too. I assumed it was jealousy, because when I looked in the mirror, I still saw my heavier self - NO real idea of how I looked. I went to the Dr. that summer weighing 154, and he told me in no uncertain terms it was time to stop, in his opinion. Looking back at pics from that time period, I had no clue how thin I was, and I was starting to look drawn and gaunt in the face, but I didn't see it. I got down to 148 but found I just couldn't maintain it without 3 hours of exercise daily, settled in at 160 and kept it off till I had kids. So just bear in mind that while it totally could be jealousy, sometimes it's hard for us to really see the changes we've made and where we are, too. Congrats on your weight loss!