"Don't Get Too Skinny"

Options

Replies

• ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I recently started getting them and I'm still at 188lbs! I don't know why people wanna act like I'm looking anorexic when we all know I'm not! But it's a change from getting the crazy compliments about having a pretty face or something lol
  • folkoono
    folkoono Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of the time people say it with general concern, but mostly I reckon it's just because they feel threatened seeing you succeed at achieving your goals.
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a co-worker yesterday and she said the same thing to me. I am 5'3 and 135 and I want to lose the last 10 pounds. A good friend of mine mentioned that she has only seen me in my fat stage so when I lost the 10 pounds so far she is seeing me as skinny. She never seen me when I was that size and looking my healthiest.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    When I tell people my goal is to lose 80lbs they say "what?? you will sick" um nope That's just barely squeezing into the healthy BMI range for my height. I'm 5'10 and my goal is 173 for now.

My husband has lost 90lbs and is now extremely muscular and fit and people tell me all the time that he is "too skinny"...I have to agree because I like him a little more on the chubby side but I know he is happy and HEALTHY now so that's what is important!
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i was thinner before and every time id look at pictures of me and my friend at my lowest she kept calling me a bone rack, "crackhead skinny" and stuff like that, she was always the thin one until she had a baby and i think she was jealous.. so i just brushed it off. haters gonna hate :p
  • jenpeterson96
    jenpeterson96 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a goal to be down to my pre-wedding weight (from 16 years ago). I made the mistake of mentioning to a friend of mine, who knew me back then, and she said that I was TOO skinny. I agree that I was skinny, but I also had no definition or tone anywhere, so yeah, I looked unhealthy. The difference is that now I am going to be that weight and I am going to look good at that weight.

So I just don't mention my goal weight - just tell people I've got a ways to go yet, but that I'm doing it the healthy way and lifting weights as well. (Of course, then I get cracks about lifting weights, but oh well.)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    And for the record, people started making comments about me being too thin like 20-30 lbs ago.. LOL, silly people.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I get comments like that from time to time, although I think most of my friends and family are used to my new "skinny" look :happy:

...I'm 5'9" and weigh 157. I REALLY want to lose 7-12 more lbs still and people always act like i'm crazy. I get comments from co-workers and friends asking, "Why do you workout so much? You're already so fit and thin!" Well, i'll let you in on a secret...it's BECAUSE I workout and eat well that i'm fit and thin and if I stopped, then i'd gain weight!

lol what's important is to just to focus on YOUR goals. Stick to what feels best for you :smile:
  • Kori18
    Kori18 Posts: 48
    Options
    I get the you are already healthy and not fat why lose weight. I went from 145 to 139 with a goal of 120-125 in mind. At 5'6 that is the lower end of healthy. Why can't a healthy person want to look thinner/fitter without being lectured on how they don't need it specially when they are the ones asking about it geez.
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I also get these comments...I am 5'3 and currently between 123-127lbs...I am still in the " normal " range. Not looking to lose anymore weight but really just tone and get some strength. I get comments from family about my aggresive collar bones and how I should gain weight.....Uggggg.....Just keep on doing what your doing!!! You know whats right for your body!!! ( and your doing awesome )
  • PARCELQUEEN
    PARCELQUEEN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i have lost 32lb and i get lots of " dont lose many more pounds " comments .. like you i want to be healthy or should i say healthier .. i will stop and try and maintain a good weight when i feel happy with myself .. i am 5'6 and at present i weigh 175lbs
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    I just put something about this on my MFP wall the other day. My little sister posted something on facebook about how she thinks I'm getting sick and look too skinny (mind you I'm still 118 at 5' 1'' which is on the heavy to normal end for my height), and she compared me to anorexic models...not even close. Well then my cousin with an ED chimes in about how she agrees although she knows I'm doing this the correct way because she's talked to me about it before. It is really frustrating when people say that you're too skinny, especially when they're the ones calling you fat before!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think people get used to seeing the bigger you and that's all they compare you to. Not to themselves or anyone else. I had one friend lose a lot of weight and he looked like a skeleton to me....but not because he actually was...i just associated his round cheeks with HIM not with his body fat.

Don't let it get to ya.

I have been told those things too. Just smile and nod and say thanks and carry on.
  • jesscaponigro
    jesscaponigro Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot, especially from people who are skinnier than me. It's like a competition to them I guess. I'm doing this for myself not to compete with anyone. Or I hear, "you look great at your current weight, you really shouldn't lose anymore". Everyone is apparently more aware of what I should or should not weigh!

I can tell you, I weigh 145 and I'm 5'5 and believe me it does not fall in the "too skinny" category, more along the lines of healthy weight range!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 pounds since January and I've recently started getting the "Don't Get Too Skinny" comments. I had a co-worker ask me just now if my intention was to shrink away so that people couldn't see me anymore. I'm 5'6 and currently weigh 162 so I'm not in danger of disappearing anytime soon. Then he asked me how much more weight I wanted to lose? I made the mistake of giving a number. I told him about 15 pounds and he reacted like I was crazy and told me not to get all sickly. Seriously, 147 pounds is sickly? He's the second or third person to say something along these lines. Next time someone asks me what my goals are I will not give a number. I'll just say to be healthy. I'm not angry I just think it's surprising is all. Anyone else get these sorts of comments?

<--- Look at my profile pic. I have a more than 10" difference between my waist and chest measurements, and am the same height as you but weigh less than the 147 that you are looking to get too. I am around 8-9% BF%.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Nope never... But would love too one day when i know it's probably jealousy...(good way). But I know that'll probably get annoying after awhile.
  • pghamanda
    pghamanda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to know why people think it's ok to say anything at all besides "you look good". You wouldn't be making comments to me if I were packing ON 10 pounds as opposed to losing them.....
    I'm working really hard and it's not easy. Good for me and GOOD FOR ALL OF YOU, TOO!!!
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wow. Until I joined MFP I never had any idea that this comment might be taken this way. I've said that to people but I never meant it in a "You're losing too much, it's unhealthy" kind of way. I always meant it as a silly compliment - like ackowledging that they have been so super-succesful at losing the weight that they might just accidentally "disappear". It's totally tongue-in-cheek, just meant as praise for their hard work and dedication.

I agree that some people might be overbearing with it and maybe even want to lecture you about how much you "should" (or shouldn't) lose, but try not to read too much into what could just be an innocent comment.

I actually look forward to someone telling me that for the first time, lol.

Oh yeah, most people I know are happy to tell you how much they've lost and what their goal is. If I were to ask how much they've got left, it would be as a prompt for them to share their story, so they would know I cared and was truly interested. NOT to be nosy.
  • clarechieri
    clarechieri Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I get it a lot from my friends mum who is quite a big lady. When I last saw her I had tonsilitus and felt awful when she goes and says "oh look at the state of you! I knew you'd take it to far and make yourself look ill!" She didn't know what to say when I turned round and said " of course I look ill I am ill!"
  • Faerille326
    Options
    I get this from family and several friends. They tell me I'm going waste away.

Boyfriend encourages the weight loss. But he sees me naked, lol, so he knows exactly what is left there to be lost.

I could show the friends and family what exactly needs to be gone so they'd agree, but I don't think they or boyfriend would appreciate that much. :laugh: