"Don't Get Too Skinny"

Options

Replies

• ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I notice this more often with people that knew me at a heavier weight and are heavier than I am now. Sometimes I would like to ask how these people would feel if I said to them "you're getting to fat" or "Don't get too fat, okay?" I don't think they would appreciate it...do you? :noway:

I say try to ignore it, but I understand how frustrating it can be. Mt mother in law asked me one time if I thought I was getting "a bit obsessive" My reply was yes! I am obsessed with living to see my great grandchildren...aren't you?:laugh:
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Ewww...someone said that to me yesterday and I know she wish she hadn't....I gave her the business....She said you about my size I said..Really? With a confused face....She quickly changed that statement....I'm Just saying you look good...Then why didn't you say that from the beginning.....Sorry Rant over ....
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I've gotten this from family mostly.
    Along with several other remarks, including my Grandmother making the comment, "it's been so long since I've seen you, you'll probably be fat again!"
    So not only am I getting too thin or I'm looking weird, mind you at 5'6" and 140lbs(ish), I won't be able to maintain my weight.

My weight loss and change of life style (I also quit smoking) has driven a wedge between myself and some family members.
    I don't see them much now and don't have a huge desire to.
    Most of the women in my family are obese & miserable
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know I've been guilty of saying something along these lines to a friend of mine. To be fair I was worried about her general well being and I wasn't entire convinced she was eating healthy (or really much at all). I was trying to convey that she was plenty small and she should stop obsessing over getting smaller.

Now that I've gotten these types of comments I realize that I approached that friend in the totally wrong way. I swear my heart was in the right place - I just didn't have the life experiences I have now to approach her more tactfully.

When I get these comments I make sure to point out that I'm eating around 2,000 calories per day of healthy food and I'm not on a crazy or extreme diet/exercise plan. I'm hoping they're just trying to make sure I'm being healthy.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've had that comment given to me. Def don't give them numbers of what your goal is.. I agree just tell them your goal is to be healthy and happy. My mom used to ask me.." How much more weight are you going to lose???" When asked the first few times I gave her a number.. then i learned not to do this. I started telling her I'd let her know when i was finished lol.
    My mom would also say she was worried about me.. and my reply was "Mom, I am healthier than I have ever been, there is no need to be worried about my health"... It is a concern people have. Choke it up to a compliment and say "I don't want to be skinny, I want to be healthy" That should shut em up for a little while. :P
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    Just smile and wave...just smile and wave.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

THIS......SMILE AND WAVE!!! TALLY-HO!

When I tell people how much I want to lose and get to they gasp and say there will be nothing left of me...
    I'm 5' 3" and my goal is 150 lbs......that's still overweight I believe.....

Just goes to show you that our perception of what's skinny and what's fat as a society has changed HUGELY ...
    When I was in High School 150 lbs on my frame was considered "bigger" and now that's too skinny ???? Come on people....Smile and Wave!

I also love the other comment that says "Remember this is about getting healthy, not skinny!" So true
  • mjhelton
    mjhelton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm happy I'm not the only one! I didn't think this day would ever come to where someone would say "Too skinny" and my name in the same sentence! LOL... My ex-father in law said the same thing to me last weekend. I currently weigh 168 and I told him about 15-20 more lbs to lose and he was floored. Thinking Im going to get nasty skinny! I'm far from it, I think anyway. I think your idea is great when people ask how much more you want to lose. Just tell them your goal is to be Healthy! you look amazing, you go girl!!!! Keep up the great work.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I started getting the "you'll look sick" or don't start getting too skinny comment when I hit about 45lbs lost. I made the mistake of mention my first goal weight and what I'd ultimately like to end up at and that's when it started.

now I'm getting, "wow - you're disappearing!" 215 is hardly disappearing.. but I guess being at 276, it would be.

People are weird.
  • missxjuicy
    missxjuicy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Cant wait till I get those comments lol.. Only u will know what weight will feel right for you so, forget what every one thinks. Im currently a similar weight to urs and my goal is also 150 to 140's at 5'7.

11662968.png
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    All the time....so much so I checked with my doctor ....and as she is a professional I have taken her advice to lose another stone.....only 7 pounds to go now.They are just nervous that you will outshine them thats all.WELL DONE YOU:drinker:
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I only get these comments from my Mom (who weighs like 100lbs), she also tells me to not lift to many weights our I'll start to look manly :laugh:
  • andymf85
    andymf85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Some people are just afraid of change. I grew out a beard a year ago, trimmed and well-kept mind you, and got similar reactions.

Some people are jealous.

Some people, especially in the US, simply don't know what an objectively healthy weight or fitness level is. We're increasingly grading on a curve, so to speak.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not sweating it. I feel the best I've ever felt in a long time. It's nice to have my confidence back.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body built. My sister got down to 150 lbs and she is 5'6 when she looked very thin. She is gaining a little bit at a time which is good. I am 5'7 and 175 lbs and my goal is 160.
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    My boyfriend would prefer it if I stayed at my current weight...and never lost another pound! He'll try to grab my belly and see that he can't grip anything anymore and get all pissy lol. He gives me the "don't get too skinny and hot because you'll leave me stranded for some buff dude with a 6pack" speech...I assume he's joking but God knows :laugh:

...Glad it's not just mine. smh He said just yesterday when I said I had 32 more lbs to go that 140 will make my head look too big for my body -_-:indifferent:
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Since I wasn't very overweight to begin with, most people roll their eyes at my weight loss, saying I "didn't need to." I've gotten the "don't lose too much weight" and the "don't lose any more." It can be very frustrating to be talked down to when you haven't asked their opinions.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot and I just tell them - I am not where I want to be, but I will be sure to send a memo to you when I get there.

Lol I love this!! :laugh:

Honestly I know it makes your all mad to hear that, and I know it will me when it happens, but I REALLY want it to happen!! :drinker: LOL Guess I gotta start losing the weight first huh...
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend would prefer it if I stayed at my current weight...and never lost another pound! He'll try to grab my belly and see that he can't grip anything anymore and get all pissy lol. He gives me the "don't get too skinny and hot because you'll leave me stranded for some buff dude with a 6pack" speech...I assume he's joking but God knows :laugh:

hahah! My boyfriend says the same thing.. if I get skinny then that means I'll leave him for someone with a "hotter" body.. I'm like geeze get a grip! Lol
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly a "don't get too skinny" comment, but a conversation I had with my sister (she's my roommate) yesterday left me pretty flabbergasted. It was her turn to do the dishes, and she was mad that I'd used a few more bowls and pans than usual that night. She told me that no matter how far I had come, I was still fat and I was always going to be fat, and to just give up and stop making life hard for my roommates for something I was never going to accomplish.

:noway: This is a family member saying this to me!

Misery loves company, I guess. I was just shocked that she'd go that far over having to do a few extra dishes. Guess it's time to move! :laugh:

My husband I lived with my older sister and it was the worst couple months so I stayed with my parents til my husband found us a place and he found one in a month. She never said anything about my weight but she basically called me lazy til I went to stay with my parents. We get a long great now and have fun when we hang out because we don't have to live together.
  • jennfeustel123
    jennfeustel123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't get those comments but I do refrain from telling people how much I want to loose. I HAVEN'T lost weight before because they always say, "You don't look big, you must have thick bones or just be really muscular to weigh so much." LOL I choose to believe that they are well meaning but I realize now that it's not realyl about wether or not I LOOK big or small but more about being at a healthy weight and being comfortable with me. =)