Healthy homemade chinese food recipes?

Options

Replies

• ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas...I make my own chicken "fried" rice, but will be looking through here for other ideas!
  • amara0118
    amara0118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas later =)
  • trudefaith
    trudefaith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    this almond chicken is as good as take out but only about 180 cal per serving (recipe makes 6)

in a small bowl stir together :
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium is fine)
    1 tsp honey
    1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

set aside

cut up and have ready:
    1/2 cup slivered almonds

1 lb chicken cut into small cubes ( I dry with paper towels then toss my chicken in about 2 tbsp cornstarch just before cooking)
    1 large carrot cut into small dice ( I slice carrot long wise into 4 quarters then slice those to make small dice)
    3 stalks celery also cut into small dice (I cut celery in half long wise then slice)
    8 mushrooms sliced
    1 small can sliced water chestnuts drained
    6 green onions cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    1 tsp ginger (I grate mine but you can mince)

I use a wok but you can use a large frying pan
    in about 1 tsp oil (canola or whatever) cook almonds till lightly brown remove to a small bowl
    next add another 1 tsp oil and fry chicken when cooked remove from pan
    add celery and carrots to pan and stir fry for about 2 minutes add mushrooms and water chestnuts and green onions and stir fry another minute then add ginger stir in almonds then sauce heat through

this is great when you are craving take out cause its just as good as any I've ever had trust me I am a chinese food junkie!!!
  • trudefaith
    trudefaith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    barbecued pork

( if you were to cut this up into 12 large pieces it would be 51 cal per serving- but I can cut this up MUCH thinner and make it go farther)
    for the marinade:
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tbsp dry red wine
    1 tbsp packed brown sugar
    1 tbsp honey
    2 tsp red food color
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 green onion sliced
    1 clove garlic minced

1 pound total weight pork tenderloin trimmed of fat

mix up all the marinade stuff and pour over the pork -I use a large zip lock bag -stick in the fridge turning occasionally for at least 1 hour or overnight
    pre-heat oven to 350 set a rack over a cookie sheet ( I line with foil ) remove pork from marinade ( don't throw away the marinade) place on rack and bake about 45 minutes- basting frequently with the reserved marinade pork is done when no longer pink in the middle
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JKellyMA
    JKellyMA Posts: 16
    Options
    thanks for sharing!!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    As a fan of Tso's myself, I did a quick Google search and found a really nice-looking recipe with pretty generous portions for an unbreaded version.

http://chinese.food.com/recipe/weight-watchers-general-tsos-chicken-162379

Personally, I'd swap the rice out for stir-fried vegetables and make the calorie/carb count even lower, but that's just my personal preference as I don't much care for rice.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump.
    I am creating a low-calorie lemon chicken stir fry tonight - will let you all know how it goes!!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this topic I love Chinese Food and miss real egg rolls so much.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    sheritaki noodles, dry roast.. set aside.. in hot skillet with splash of sesame oil add as you need to when adding all the veggies to stirfry.(It goes a long way so no more than a Tb.) 1/2 cup brocolli,1 green pepper, 4 stalks of fresh bok choy cut up,1/2 onion quarted,fresh ginger and bean sprouts are good. stir fry on high adding rice vinagar about 1 Tb. I used already cooked beef (2 oz) to add to it. Throw the noodles in the mixture,add 2 Tb low sodium soy,put a lid on it , put on low to tenerize the veggies to your liking and it gives the noodles time to cook in the flavor. Talk about filling...you can eat the whole thing at about 400 calories. if you like you can add some chunks of pineapple for your sweet taste for a couple calories more.
    when I eat chinese out I opt for the steamed diet section..steamed shrimp/veggies no additives and order plum sauce to dip them in with a few bites of rice. they give you so much, i ate three meals off it.
  • LaurieInRose
    Options
    I want to see what else gets posted too.... LOVE Chinese food!
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • marygettingfit
    marygettingfit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love chinese food! Can't wait to try these recipes..Thanks so much!! Bump!!!!!